Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc in Engineering Computation

Options
  • 29-01-2010 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Im looking for information from some one who is completing the MSC in Engineering Computation in DIT. I would like to know how tough the course is and any information regarding it would be hugely valuable to me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Started this part time last September so just into the second semester now. Networks, Databases and Programming in java were the modules to begin with. Artificial Intelligence, Data Structures & Algorithms and Engineering Systems Simulation are the modules this semester.

First semester was easy enough though it seems to be ramping up in dificulty now/moving away from the simple concepts to more difficult areas.

Workload isnt too high - there is an assignment to do for each module and an exam in each at the end of the semester.

Let me know if there's anything more specific you want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 karlfitz6

Thanks for getting back to me. There is a few things I would like to know if you have the time.

1) I did structural engineering as an undergraduate and now I am looking for something that will add to my employability as an engineer. Do you feel that this course would be worthwhile for a structural engineer to complete.

2) Did you have any trouble getting accepted onto the course, did you have to do an interview?

3) Is there many in the class?

4) Why did you choose this particular course? Have you got a computing background?

Thanks a lot I really appreciate this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

1) I did structural engineering as an undergraduate and now I am looking for something that will add to my employability as an engineer. Do you feel that this course would be worthwhile for a structural engineer to complete.

I finished structural eningeering in Bolton Street three years ago so yes I do think it is worth doing to improve your employability. Other options would be a course in project management or a specific aspect of structural engineering, e.g. bridge design but none of these really interested me.

2) Did you have any trouble getting accepted onto the course, did you have to do an interview?

No I just filled out the form, didnt need to do an interview or anything like that.

3) Is there many in the class?

Its hard to judge as the modules cover both Engineering Computation and Applied Computing for Technologists and both the part time and full time courses. Some of the modules could have anything from 15 to 30 people in them but I'd say there are about 10-15 doing the Engineering Computation.

4) Why did you choose this particular course? Have you got a computing background?

I've always had an interest in computing/programming and its an area I've always wanted to get into. Probably should've done computer science for my degree instead of structural engineering. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 karlfitz6

I am unemployed at the moment so I have a lot of free time on my hands. If I wanted to get a kind of head start to the course is there any text books that you use or could recommend to me that I might find valuable.

My brother is an IT Systems Administrator and I would like for him to have a look at some of the course content so he can give me his opinion on things.

Thanks again

Advertisement