Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpaid

Options
  • 29-01-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was over paid in my first year by my previous employeer. This was only brought to my attention after the company had carried out an audit i believe. When i first noticed i showed a few colleagues and they all said it was grand when comparing to their payslips at the time so i took no further notice until the issue was raised. They asked that i pay it back through monthly installments which i agreed too but i had no choice in the sum and it was more then i would have agreed at the time. I asked at the time what would happen if i left my then current role for a new job and was told the payments would stop adn nothing further that they could. I stayed in this job for well over 18 months and paid every month. I have a new job as such which i started end of 2009. I received a letter from my previous employment through their HR department asking that i continue to make the monthly payments. I have told them what i was told at the time and i needed time to think things over. I will be talking to a solicitor but that will not happen until next week.

I'm not looking for legal advice as i hope to get that myself but would like to get a few opinions for others and what options do i have if any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would say that what you were first told was incorrect. You have a liability or debt to this company (even if it was caused by their error). Unless they discharge this debt, you must pay if off, even if you leave the company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

If they told you that they would not seek further repayment if you left, they are now estopped from seeking to enforce their legal rights if any to recover the overpayments. You have written pointing out the promise which was made. I would do nothing further unless they send a solicitors letter. At that stage talk to your own solicitor.

Advertisement