Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Art for kids in the Skerries, Fingal area?

Options
  • 29-01-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

Looking to get my 7 year old son involved in a martial art - not sure what style, was thinking some kind of wrestling like judo - there seem to be loads of martial art clubs out there but it's hard to know who's a good teacher, etc.

Can anyone recommend some clubs in my area?

thanks
    Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Off the top of my head you have Judo in Lusk under Jack Dennis and Judo in Swords with Leo Gibbons - both fantastic clubs.

And in Rush you've got.

In Rush you've got Paul Cowzer teaching Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (and boxing).

Check them all out is my recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭roneythetube

One of the best judo clubs in Ireland is only up road from ya in Lusk. Its a great sport for kids and Jack Dennis is the best coach I have ever known. He is brilliant with the kids and I cannot wait till my daughter is old enough to get started at judo.

Tues/Thurs nights depending on the ages.Check the Irish judo Association website for Lusk judo contact details.
    http://www.irishjudoassociation.ie/content/view/20/34/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Judo wise,

Theres the Dublin School of Judo out is ashbourne. Alan Martin's Club. He does children's Judo classes and from what I recall of training under him as a teenager, he's pretty decent.

Theres Coolmine Judo Club No idea if they do childrens

Theres Daigokan Judo Club in DonnyCarney as well, which definitely do Children's classes.

Theres a map her of most of the Judo clubs in the Dublin Area.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114836611377512950816.00044186a805ce6649118&z=11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eoryan

thanks a million for those suggestions - gonna check out that club in Lusk

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There's a boxing club over beside balbriggan train station too. If you're on that side of Skerries it could be worth checking out. I'm gonna be bringing my lad down there (and probably over to Rush fight academy and probably over to Lusk Judo) soon. I think it's worth trying a few on for size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eoryan

nice one - yeah, was just talking to Paul there at the rush fight academy - they don't take on kids under 10 just yet - but he's considering it, because there's been alot of interest - the same goes for the boxing in balbriggan, and they don't actually start hitting each other until 11 for insurance reasons.

Advertisement