Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roads are feeling greasy, anyone else noticing this?

• 29-01-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

These past few days, it feels like the bike is losing grip a lot, checked tyre pressure, they're fairly firm, only a little give when i up my whole weight on the wheel, and i showed them to the guy in lucan, said the tyres still got some life in them, so it can't be that.

One thing it could be, but i can't be sure, is that last week, went for a long spin up to the mountains, roads were still under thick snow, so went to bull island instead, stopped off at a pizza place, and parked the bike on a slow, which i missjudged and the thing fell over. The steering lock was on, and it fell on the right side, i gave a quick looking over and didn't see any damage at all, i couldn't figure out what took the hit when it fell, but it could've been the front wheel. Am i just being paranoid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Xios wrote: »
    These past few days, it feels like the bike is losing grip a lot, checked tyre pressure, they're fairly firm, only a little give when i up my whole weight on the wheel, and i showed them to the guy in lucan, said the tyres still got some life in them, so it can't be that.

One thing it could be, but i can't be sure, is that last week, went for a long spin up to the mountains, roads were still under thick snow, so went to bull island instead, stopped off at a pizza place, and parked the bike on a slow, which i missjudged and the thing fell over. The steering lock was on, and it fell on the right side, i gave a quick looking over and didn't see any damage at all, i couldn't figure out what took the hit when it fell, but it could've been the front wheel. Am i just being paranoid?

steering head bearings or alignment can make a bike feel bad like it has less grip

how many miles what model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Don't have a motorbike... but over the past day or two I have noticed that the roads are quite greasy. Live in south dublin area. Also housemates mentioned the same thing to me. I got a lot of wheel spin on the tallaght/M50 roundabout yesterday. It felt like ice (but obviously wasn't). Only put 4 new tyres on the car a few months ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Tigger wrote: »
    steering head bearings or alignment can make a bike feel bad like it has less grip

how many miles what model
    mileage is 25,000, serviced prob 400 miles ago, just before christmas. but the bike is old age wise, a 1999 fazer 600. but in fairly good nick, could do with a scrubin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mileage is 25,000, serviced prob 400 miles ago, just before christmas. but the bike is old age wise, a 1999 fazer 600. but in fairly good nick, could do with a scrubin though.

without looking at it i'd say iots the headstock bearing

does the front wheel feel like its not planted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I had the same thing during the week down in Leopardstown area. My bike has only 6k on the clock.

Definitely some greasy roads for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I was only thinking the same thing over the last few days must be from them warming up a bit after the long cold spell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

+1 for greasy. Found myself drifting to outside of road on roundabouts at speeds which I could normally keep a very tight line on.

I'm still waiting for a nice period of dry roads with good grip that breads confidence and leads to fun and enjoyment. Nothing like taking a fast bend perfectly, not that I could say I pull it off a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

noticed it a few days ago alright. wooo cornering was fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I was beginning to think there was summit up with me tyres :D Have found it very greasy and slippy for the last two weeks with the back end of the bike slipping a bit on the sharper bends and roundabouts.
    I'm releived I'm not the only person thats getting this, can't afford a new set of tyres right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

noticed also especially around leopardstown and firhouse junction on the m50,
    i keep on thinking i have a puncture, the bike is wobbling abit and its only 6k since my last service, still have another 16k on the tyres to go.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

rameire wrote: »
    i keep on thinking i have a puncture, the bike is wobbling abit and its only 6k since my last service, still have another 16k on the tyres to go.

I use the Leopardstown exit every day, very greasy round that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

There is a lot of construction work going on around Firhouse, the roads there are full of mud and diesel. You can work on your drifting skills at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,450 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

checked tyre pressure, they're fairly firm, only a little give when i up my whole weight on the wheel

It's not a bicycle, you can't check the pressure by pressing on the tyres, get a decent pressure gauge. Garage ones are almost always wrong. Check the tyres when they are cold (not driven more than a couple of miles.)

One thing it could be, but i can't be sure, is that last week, went for a long spin up to the mountains, roads were still under thick snow, so went to bull island instead, stopped off at a pizza place, and parked the bike on a slow, which i missjudged and the thing fell over.

Check that your front end is still straight - point the wheel straight ahead and make sure the forks are parallel to each other and that the bars are not twisted.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dan I Am

I spent way too many years as a London m/c courier. Come spring time, and the roads warming up and properly drying out for a few days, the more sticky roads started to get fun again, and people would start thinking about getting new bikes and enjoying themselves. My guess would be that it's the cold weather, cold tyres, and traffic pollution due to cars operating outside of optimal conditions/general slippery crap on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

rameire wrote: »

Can I get that device that measure's how many miles I've left in my tyre's in Argos?:p

16k,jesus,I wouldnt even get that out of my front tyre:D.
    And yes the roads are in pu,between diesel,branches off tree's,chippings,potholes,muck and suicidal pedestrians,it's makes for an interesting ride anyplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

Can I get that device that measure's how many miles I've left in my tyre's in Argos?:p

16k,jesus,I wouldnt even get that out of my front tyre:D.
    And yes the roads are in pu,between diesel,branches off tree's,chippings,potholes,muck and suicidal pedestrians,it's makes for an interesting ride anyplace.

its beside the skyhook and the tartan paint in the argos catalogue.

nah its going on how long the last set lasted.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nedned

yea-

ive noticed it too.roads out around the trim area.suppose roads havnt dried out properly.either snow,rain,frost.only a new set of head bearings gone in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Particularly greasy around the city center, but at 18mph you should still be able to keep your feet on the ground. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I took the bike for a spin sat last and I felt my front end slipping a little on tight bends! Squeeky bum time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Noticed the same thing at one of the roundabouts between the M50 and Dundrum SC yesterday. Had to slam the foot down to avoid a lowside. I wasn't leaning too far (small roundabout) just the road surface had a thin film of muck. Nasty. Be careful out there, until the next proper rainfall, which thankfully(?) should be tonight, after which, it should turn to frost and snow. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement