Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY alloy wheel paint?

• 29-01-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for opinions of repairing my alloys on my Xantia. When I bought it in the UK the paint on the alloys was badly flaking . Since then it has come off in large chunks leaving just then tarnished alloy underneath. Is there any type of paint I could spray on it or paint on that would give a nice finish?

My uncle is a panel beater so I could get something sprayed on in his garage if need be. Would normal silver car paint of some description do the job?

EDIT. Whoops, this is'nt motors . That'll teach me to have more than one window open. Could a kind mod please shove it over, thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Most motor manufacturers use standard silver paints. Volkswagen use reflex silver, MINI use Pure Silver and Aspen White. You'll need to sand out the damage, prime it, paint it, lacquer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4986
    Is a fairly good guide, will be doing it to mine when the weather gets a bit better

There are plenty of mistakes on that guide though. He doesn't mask the sidewall of the tire, and instead creates lots of work removing overspray when the job is done. He says not to wetsand the primer which is a fundamental mistake, and he says to sand between the paint coats - which is a really bad idea if you're using waterbased paint - which you probably will be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

There are plenty of mistakes on that guide though. He doesn't mask the sidewall of the tire, and instead creates lots of work removing overspray when the job is done. He says not to wetsand the primer which is a fundamental mistake, and he says to sand between the paint coats - which is a really bad idea if you're using waterbased paint - which you probably will be doing.
    I'm sure everyone would love to see a proper guide to it, go ooooooooon ;)

Cheeky pup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It's not as easy as it looks. I tried it a couple of times and the results were so so. You also need the temperature to be around 15c when you're spraying which is difficult to come by this time of year unless you have a heater. Even in summer it can be damp in the evenings which isn't great either.

It's a lot of work and materials and you could get a pro with the right gear to do it for around €50 a corner. Less if you haggle given these times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cheers folks. Think i'll start working on them tomorrow. The car is'nt taxed or insured at the minute so I can stick it up on stands and take the 4 wheels off to strip them down and get them sprayed.
    ksimpson wrote: »
    It's a lot of work and materials and you could get a pro with the right gear to do it for around €50 a corner. Less if you haggle given these times.

I'll be offering my uncle the price of the paint and not a penny more.:)

Advertisement