Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new gaming peripherals :(

Options
  • 29-01-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Howdy folks. I'm in a spot of a dilemma here. I'll try to paint you a picture of my setup and hopefully I can get a hand :D

Basically I have a 42" TV as a monitor in my room, so obviously you need some distance away from it. It's at the foot of my bed and so is my tower. I used to use the Logitech MX 3200 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse for it, the reception was awful for some reason and I found myself having to sit the reciever on the end of the bed just to pick something up. Either way my girlfriend sat on and broke said reciever not realising it was on the bed :P and now I can't use my PC.. I've looked around for a cheaper solution such as fixing or purchasing a new reciever for the model but Logitech doesn't do it anymore and I'm not THAT bothered about repairing something that cost me €110 for the combo and reception didn't work from the word go.

Anyway I'm looking for a new gaming mouse and not really a gaming keyboard, but something that will work well for it. My computer is positioned about 2 meters away from me, I'm considering moving it a bit closer though it will look more out of place then it does already. So I'd either need a very responsive wireless set or longer then average wires :O.

I'm also using a Nvidia 8600 GT with a DVI - HDMI adapter to plug into the TV, I'm missing my audio though from the TV itself as I found out the adapter is only Video..

So I was wondering, would these peripherials and adapter do the trick for me if anyone knows or has come into contact with them?

Here are the links to what I'm considering:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/447/1/ - MX3200 that I was using.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=389166 - The Logitech Slim Fit keyboard (Wired, long enough? :O?)

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338430 - Logitech G9 gaming mouse. Looks a bit weird and again, wired but hopefully with it I'd be able to FPS again.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344881 - ATI DVI - HDMI adapter.. I was wondering would that be compatible with the Nvidia 8600 GT?

Also on a side note
    1 of my 2 front USB ports on the tower is snapped (gotta love the girlfriend..) Maybe I should consider getting a USB extention and a hub? Have the Hub in the extention and the mouse / keyboard plugged into that? would that work or would I lose response on the keyboard and mouse? Argh my head is melted! I'm on a budget of about 100 euro.

I'm currently at a pretty big loss here, no peripherials and no TV sound :(! If I could get someones advice on it all I'd be very happy.

Thanks for your help in advance,
    ScaRs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Nvidia cards dont do sound through HDMI IIRC :(

As far as the mouse and KB selection,go to Peats if your near dublin and they have a large selection mice and KB's you can try before you buy.

Personally I found the G9 too small but it may suit you.

I wouldn't bother with a gaming keyboard,they are just standard keyboards with extra macro buttons.

I use a bluetooth apple keyboard and bluetooth reciver I picked up a few years ago.When I sit on my bed,its about 2 metres away from me and it works fine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What spec is that PC? I hope that 42"er isn't Full HD... 8600GTs aren't too good for hardcore gaming, let alone on a top-end 1080p screen! :o

You can find OCZ Elixir keyboards on some sites (MemoryC for one) for little more than that Logitech... and unlike most €20-ish models the Elixir has macro keys ;) Not so good for tons of hardcore typing, although any slim-profile keyboard is a bit meh for that! Bear in mind that while its slimline, its still very wide and quite long owing to all the added stuff.

As neither your nor my keyboard has any mention of cable length we can safely assume the answer is "under-endowed" :o You'd need a USB extension to plug the gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ScaRs

*EDIT #2*
    Runnin an Intel Quad Core 2.4GHz
    3GB of DDR2
    Nvidia 8600GT
    1TB HDD
    Onboard sound card
    Unsure of the MB.
    It's not the best but it definately gets the job done for what I need at the moment :P

Thank you very much for your replies :) Although I had just recieved word that after 6 gruelling months I've finally been awarded my grant money for college *Hooray I can go back*.

So because of which I got a tad bit, err, trigger happy I suppose you could say and purchased the G9 and Slimline Keyboard, the TV is HD-Ready at 1080P, I've had this setup for about a year now, no problems other then the fact that the Adapter doesn't relay sound *pout*.

I've purchased 2 extention cables for both the keyboard and mouse, though I'm a bit worrysome as to thinking I might lose out on response due to the extra connections? Though at the same time I'm happy because of the fact that I'll have a setup similar to the old Xbox's with the connections so if you tripped it'd unplug the controller and not rip it down :P My girlfriend is quite clumsy and is always tripping over my things *sad*.

The fact that the keyboard is long won't be a worry for myself though, I keep the keyboard on my lap and my mouse next to me at all times anyway so everything should be fine and dandy.

I didn't bother getting the DVI-HDMI adapter. Instead I'll just get a cheapish PC Surround sound now that I finally have the money :P can just unplug the 3.5 cable from my PC to TV when I need to.

Thank you very much for your help :) I appreciate it.

*EDIT* Bah I wish I'd had a quick look at your keyboard before I'd purchased the LT one :) It looks nice with the macro keys / multimedia keys. I tend to go for a gaming mouse and multimedia keyboard. Though I think I'll be happy with my decision as it has the standard US layout, :P I've used that type since I was 5 coming from Australia n all and after 3 years of trying to get used to the UK version I'll be happy to get back to what I'd refer to as "normal" again :P. Thanks again!

All the best,
    ScaRs

Advertisement