Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gothic novels

Options
  • 29-01-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi all, am looking for some reading material suggestions in the gothic novel theme. Not yer teen vamp novels mind you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

Here are some good ones. The first one you can get for a couple of euro in bookstores and it is an excellent place to start!:)

Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
    Dracula
    Frankenstein
    Rebecca
    The Haunting of Hill House

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Carmilla which is a gothic (to my mind) novella by J Sheridan Le Fanu. Precursor to Dracula. Should be free to view on the web considering it was written in the 19th century, good story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

Thanks guys! I've read all the usual suspects, Frankenstein, Rebecca, Poe etc., am looking for some of the less well known. Have only read a little of Le Fanu's stuff, must check out more. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Carmilla which is a gothic (to my mind) novella by J Sheridan Le Fanu. Precursor to Dracula. Should be free to view on the web considering it was written in the 19th century, good story.

Was going to recommend that one too. I think he was from Dublin if memory serves.
    +1 for Poe also. If yer into Southern as well as victorian gothic ? Faulkner for a bit of variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Melmoth The Wanderer - Maturin.

I haven't read it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

Just picked up these today :) , all going under the mystery and supernatural tag, very gothy

The Woman in white
    The Monk
    The Mystery of the yellow room

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

Reading The Italian myself at the moment. A good find so far. Ann Radcliffe was one of the first in the series with her Mysteries of Udolpho - haven't read it yet but it's on the bookshelf :)

The Monk was mentioned above and that is excellent.

I'd actually recommend Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. It's a parody on the gothic novels of the time and actually a very good read whether you're familiar with the gothic archetype or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

HP Lovecraft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The Private Memoirs and Confession of a Justified Sinner

You might have already read it, but Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a real gem, it's just a novella as well so you often find it with a collection of some more of R.L. Stevenson's short fiction, a lot of which is quite creepy and supernatural, though I'm not sure stories involving invisible wizard battles on tropical islands really qualify as gothic :pac:

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Purdia

I love gothic tales! I am reading "The Seance" by John Harwood at the moment and can honestly say it has the hair standing up on the back of my neck at times! He also wrote "The Ghost Writer" which will be downloaded on my Kindle next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

One weird little book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^^ I thought I would enjoy this. I didn't.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Matthew Lewis' The Monk is superb. I read it earlier this year, I couldn't put it down.

Green Tea by Sheridan LeFanu.

Horace Walpole's The Castle of Otranto I believe is good also... (It's on my list of stuff to be read)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

I couldn't put The Monk down the first time either! I want to re-read it the next chance I get...

as a side bar - did you notice that when using pronouns like he/she, Lewis uses a capital letter for everybody except when he's using it for God.... I thought that was interesting :)

Advertisement