Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's - €12 for a small can of Air!!

Options
  • 29-01-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I went into Currys the other day pricing a new headset. I also need to get a can of compressed air for cleaning off dust from my keyboard and PC interior.

I couldnt believe it when I saw the price of a single can of air, nothing else - other than being compressed. It was between €11-€12 so I asked the sales assistant to check the system. When he came back to me confirming the price, I asked him if he thought that was a fair price. He couldn't even keep a straight face and didnt answer my question.

Needless to say I left after that, without headset or can of air. I will NEVER shop at Currys or PC World again :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why did you not get the headset? if it was a decent price it could be biting off your nose to spite your face, esp if you did not realise that €12 was indeed the going rate.

How much would you usually pay for cans of air? or do you have anything to compare it to at all, I am guessing you might never have bought it before since you are shocked at the price and I would think it quite normal. People might find it amusing since it is just air in the can but it is obviously a very unusual item and so economies of scale would tell me it should have a very high price relative to other cans, e.g. deodorant.

In another thread for electronics people mentioned radionics & farnell. Radionics dearest 400ml can is €18.46 with the VAT
    http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0405111

farnell's dearest is €31 for 400ml with VAT
    http://ie.farnell.com/cramolin/druckluft-top-400ml/air-duster-druckluft-400ml/dp/852880

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Compression is an expensive business, you gotta spend the big bucks nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I haven't found a reasonably priced compressed air can in a any shop, never mind Currys or PC World. I understand that somewhere on the planet, you can actually buy a refillable canister, and am still searching for a source.

Have you bought any of these? I'd hate to press the button and nothing come out.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Have you bought any of these? I'd hate to press the button and nothing come out.:eek:

Actually, that link says it doesn't ship to Ireland LOL! There are still plenty of other sellers who do. In the unlikely event the product doesn't work, you can always get your cash back -- for the price it's worth the risk!:rolleyes:

Actually, that link says it doesn't ship to Ireland LOL! There are still plenty of other sellers who do. In the unlikely event the product doesn't work, you can always get your cash back -- for the price it's worth the risk!:rolleyes:

Last time that I searched there were none listed. It's like buses when one minute there aren't any, then three come along at once.

After doing a quick search, the only business that ships to Ireland is the one on this link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIR-IN-A-CAN-COMPRESSED-AIR-DUSTER-CLEANER-400ml_W0QQitemZ120458019015QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item1c0bdb80c7

This one is £6.32 + £2.60 postage, which, after Paypal's thieving conversion rate etc., starts to pump the Euro price up to 10 or 11, making it less attractive.

The one on your link might as well not exist if the business doesn't ship to Ireland:rolleyes: (I see that you like using old rolleyes, so I decided to return the favour).

..and as for getting your cash back, you wont get the postage that you paid, just the price of the goods, if you're lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

John_Mc wrote: »
    When he came back to me confirming the price, I asked him if he thought that was a fair price. He couldn't even keep a straight face and didnt answer my question.

Was that due to the price of the can of air, or your question though? He could have been laughing at you for even asking the question.
    John_Mc wrote: »
    Needless to say I left after that, without headset or can of air. I will NEVER shop at Currys or PC World again :rolleyes:

Why not? Seems like it was actually a pretty reasonable price. As mentioned, you can't even beat the price by more than a few cents on eBay, and sites like Farnell and Radionics charge between 8 and 14 euro (ex VAT) for compressed air cans. Maybe it's your own perception that is off, and not the price.
    ..and as for getting your cash back, you wont get the postage that you paid, just the price of the goods, if you're lucky.

Worse again, you'd be expected to return it by registered post, at your expense, which would quite possible out weigh the cost you paid in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jor el wrote: »
    Was that due to the price of the can of air, or your question though? He could have been laughing at you for even asking the question.
    I would imagine it was the thought of an "empty can" of air that people find amusing.
    Skyuser wrote: »
    Compression is an expensive business, you gotta spend the big bucks nowadays
    Not really, small run items are an expensive business. I work in production myself and am used to ridiculous costs for low volume items, I also have to price up parts myself and know that a lot of the time the main cost is setup time.

If you rang up tayto and asking to get 24box of empty crisp packets I am sure they would at least 10 times the amount, and the sales person given the price might also find it amusing to charge so much for bags of air. In my place the sales people often question why I am charging so much, say €50 for an item, I then tell them they can have 10 of them for €65 no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

Last time that I searched there were none listed. It's like buses when one minute there aren't any, then three come along at once.

After doing a quick search, the only business that ships to Ireland is the one on this link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIR-IN-A-CAN-COMPRESSED-AIR-DUSTER-CLEANER-400ml_W0QQitemZ120458019015QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item1c0bdb80c7

This one is £6.32 + £2.60 postage, which, after Paypal's thieving conversion rate etc., starts to pump the Euro price up to 10 or 11, making it less attractive.

The one on your link might as well not exist if the business doesn't ship to Ireland:rolleyes: (I see that you like using old rolleyes, so I decided to return the favour).

I only realised my mistake after posting the link.:rolleyes:

9£ does not become 12 -- it's more like 10£.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ebay is not the only online retailer, Simpy McSimpleton!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I only realised my mistake after posting the link.:rolleyes:

9£ does not become 12 -- it's more like 10£.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ebay is not the only online retailer, Simpy McSimpleton!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I did say €10 or €11.

I'm certain that, were you to find a bargain online compressed air retailer, you'd let us know all about it.

You didn't stay long at Charm School, did you?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

A 300ml can of compressed air can be had in Dublin for €6.99, is that unreasonable?

A 300ml can of compressed air can be hand in Dublin for €6.99, is that unreasonable?

It's the equivalent of €9.32 for a 400ml, so It's heading in the right direction. Unfortunately, I'm 200 miles in the wrong direction.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind. The answer is blowing in the wind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Just blow on it using your mouth...
    It's free :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Better idea for getting dust/bits of grit/etc off a keyboard:
    Buy a pack of Blu-Tac, roll it into pointy-tipped 'sausage' shapes to get into all the nooks and cranies then get a full sheet, warm it in your hands to soften it into a pliable state and lightly press it into the keyboard so it moulds to the shape of the keys.

Simple but very effective. :)

McChubbin wrote: »
    Better idea for getting dust/bits of grit/etc off a keyboard:
    Buy a pack of Blu-Tac, roll it into pointy-tipped 'sausage' shapes to get into all the nooks and cranies then get a full sheet, warm it in your hands to soften it into a pliable state and lightly press it into the keyboard so it moulds to the shape of the keys.

Simple but very effective. :)

Not very effective for cleaning all of the dust and accumulated sh1t from motherboards, heatsinks, fans and vents though.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A bicycle pump would do the same job if you have a good steady hand.
    HxGH wrote: »
    Just blow on it using your mouth...
    It's free :pac:

The last thing you want is someone spitting and spreading germs all over a keyboard particularly if its a shared PC. :eek:

Advertisement