Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal cruelty inspector

Options
  • 29-01-2010 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have a real interest in animal welfare and an inpector is the line of work that I hope to end up in. I would really appreciate any help I can get.

I am 19 and have been out of school (with a leaving cert) and working for 2 years now. I have no history in volunteer work but I do have alot of experience with animals.
    I understand that there are few vacancies in this profession but is there any background experience or qualifications, besides just Volunteering, that would give me a headstart if the position ever presented itself.

I am currently working full time so I would only be able to volunteer at a local shelter at weekends as I don't have another source of income but if there were other ways i.e courses, I could possibly get some type of funding.
    I read that inspectors normally start out as dog wardens, vet nurses or zoologist trainees. Is this necessary?

I am not yet applying for a position with anywhere, just seeking advice. So any help I can get, to point me in the right direction would be a great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Best thing to do is to start out as a volunteer at a rescue starting probably with home checking and cleaning kennels and help with transport etc. and see how you go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My advice would be to consider the RSPCA in the UK. The ISPCA & local SPCA's here just cannot afford to take on people. My local SPCA have put their only Inspector on short time working. The RSPCA training is superb but there is huge competition for places.

In any event you have to show total commitment which means volunteering as much as possible. Speak to you local SPCA & explain the situation. See if they will take you as a volunteer so that you can prove your worth & may be considered for a paid post when the economy improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 carmelod

I would say go and study if you can and perhaps work part time or volunteer in a shelter. Its not as easy working in rescue as it seems from the outside. Its very emotional and hard work when you are in the middle of it all.

Only a suggestion here but a good course will set you up and help you deal with what the industry may throw at you.

Good luck!

Advertisement