Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for improving?

Options
  • 29-01-2010 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Iv been riding once a week for the last 2 years, and to be honest I feel at times like im going backwards and not getting any better! :(
    Up until about a year ago I was doing reasonably well, I could at least see an improvement every week, there was one or two horses I was really comfortable on and was able to jump about 60(ish), my confidence was knocked a bit when I entered a few shows, nothing serious just a few fun ones within the school, the first one I was expecting to do bad in as I was extremely nervous, but it just got progressively worse, even when I was on horses/ponies that I was usually well able jump on and the course was only 40cm! :o
    Well I put all that behind me and just put it down to nerves. But after last summer with the lovely weather we went out on treks nearly every week so fell out of practise in the arena and didn't do a whole lot of jumping or groundwork. Since that iv gotten even worse! The first problem is when im trying to get a canter going, I tend to grip too much with my legs so can't really give a proper signal so just end up going into a fast trot a lot of the time, when I do finally get a canter going I fall in on the corners, I try to push with my inside leg but it just doesn't work!:o This effects my jumping because if im doing a crap canter I tend to jump pretty crap too!

I love riding but the complete lack of progress at times is quite disheartening, would love to go more than once a week but don't have the time to as im doing the leaving cert this year! So really has anybody any tips, anything at all that would help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

dee o gee wrote: »
    The first problem is when im trying to get a canter going, I tend to grip too much with my legs so can't really give a proper signal so just end up going into a fast trot a lot of the time, when I do finally get a canter going I fall in on the corners, I try to push with my inside leg but it just doesn't work!:o

This is screaming out to me that you need some lunge lessons to help you develop an independant seat, and work on some balance issues.

Gripping into an transition, rather than applying the aids correctly and effectively, makes me wonder if you're anticipating (consciously or subconsciously) the horse's transition up into canter...and this isn't allowing you to relax through the transition, hence the horse gets mixed signals, and runs on instead of stepping up and under into canter.
    Falling in on corners, suggests to me that, again subconciously or otherwise, you're leaning in and 'motorbiking' around the corner...a balance issue to be honest. Could also be attributed to an anxiousness to "keep the canter going at all costs", again, if you had a secure & independant seat you would be far more effective in keeping the impulsion going through the corners...which in turn will balance your horse better through the corners...

If your riding school offers 1-to-1 lunge lessons, schedule a few, preferably close together if possible, each one *should* be max 30 mins, so you could theoretically do 2 in one session so to speak, on 2 different horses...and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference they make.
    The instructor will be totally in control of the transitions from his or her end of the lungeline, and you can then relax and concentrate on developing a better feel for what the horse is doing throughout the transition, and develop that all important independant seat, which in turn will allow you to relax, not grip so much with your legs, and apply the aids more effectively.

Top Tip - If your riding school is an examination centre for BHSAI/BHSII etc....next time they are doing exams why not offer your services as a guinea pig, particularly for the lunge lesson part...and voila, free lessons :D...they'll be basic for the exams, but a spin on the lunge is a great tune up every now and then, for everybody! ;)

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Does your riding school do lunge lessons? If so, they would be worth trying as then you could improve your seat and balance without having to worry about controling the horse as well.

Does your instructor ever make you ride without stirrups? Again, this is good for improving your seat, which I suspect may be your main issue.

*Lol, great minds Dolly*

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

shanagarry wrote: »
    Does your riding school do lunge lessons? If so, they would be worth trying as then you could improve your seat and balance without having to worry about controling the horse as well.

Does your instructor ever make you ride without stirrups? Again, this is good for improving your seat, which I suspect may be your main issue.

Great minds....! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

If your riding school offers 1-to-1 lunge lessons, schedule a few, preferably close together if possible, each one *should* be max 30 mins, so you could theoretically do 2 in one session so to speak, on 2 different horses...and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference they make.

That is a good idea,id never thought of lunge lessons. Don't think my school does lunge lessons, but il try a few of the other schools around here.

shanagarry wrote: »

Yes she has made us ride without stirrups in both canter and trot. I actually found it was much easier to ride without than with stirrups as my leg was longer and I wasn't gripping as much. She had told me that my seat had improved but that I still obviously have to improve on it.

Another question, when your squeezing do you squeeze with your lower leg or more so your heel? I find that when im squeezing im kind of tilting my foot out a little and pushing in with my heel, am I doing right?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I'm a newbie too!!

What I've found is that the horse makes a huge difference. For the last couple of weeks I've had a more forward going horse and I've got 100% confidence in him. Absolutely 100%. He does what I want without me really having to think about it so much.

In fact I jumped my first 1.0m during the week. Woo hoo!!

I've found that when I've used "lazier" horses it's a lot more work to get him into the appropriate canter for the jumps. As a result there's a lot more going on in my head before the jumps. When I know I can trust the horse it make sit so much easier and I dont even really think about the height at all.

That being said, I'm no Eddie Macken either and have a huge amount to learn too. I guess maybe the horses which are more work are better for learning the details as the only way for newbies like us to be able to get them to do what we want is by practicing those little things.

Riding boots help as well by the way. I used to use wellies and could never keep the ball of my foot on the stirrups as the stirrup used to get kind of caught between the base of the welly and the heel (if you know what I mean). With the boots there's a better feel and they are more even on the base so it's easier to keep the balls of my feet where I want them and not be constantly trying to ensure that the wellies stay on and also get them into the correct position for signals (such as I'm able to make :D).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

OP, it is not the size of the jump but how you jump it!

I know it can be disheartening at times but try to think of riding/horses as a journey and never a destination.

Don't forget to breath, talk/sing to the horse/yourself. If you think something scary is about to happen train yourself to laugh, sounds hard I know but it will stop you becoming tense.

Work with no stirrups is good, if your worried about the trot getting too fast stick to a circle rather than going large.

I've found that when I've used "lazier" horses it's a lot more work to get him into the appropriate canter for the jumps. As a result there's a lot more going on in my head before the jumps. When I know I can trust the horse it make sit so much easier and I dont even really think about the height at all.

Riding boots help as well by the way.

I find this as well, when your on a lazier horse, I tend to keep thinking 'gotta keep him moving', so put all my effort into just keeping him moving so have less room to think about everything else, if that makes any sense at all!:D When im on a more forward going horse, that I don't have to worry about keeping moving, I have more room in my head to think about using corners and lining myself up for jumps. I have boots by the way.
    OP, it is not the size of the jump but how you jump it!

I know it can be disheartening at times but try to think of riding/horses as a journey and never a destination.

Don't forget to breath, talk/sing to the horse/yourself. If you think something scary is about to happen train yourself to laugh, sounds hard I know but it will stop you becoming tense.

Work with no stirrups is good, if your worried about the trot getting too fast stick to a circle rather than going large.

Thats true about the size of the jump, as our instructor says the jump is just an obstacle in the way, its how you approach and ride away from the jump that matters.

Its amazing there are times when you forget to breath, used to do it alot when i first started, not so much now though. Im not getting tense because im anticipating something scary to happen, as someone else said I think its more so im anticipating the horse to just canter, I think im getting tense in an effort to sit quiet in the sitting trot before the canter. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

dee o gee wrote: »

Another question, when your squeezing do you squeeze with your lower leg or more so your heel? I find that when im squeezing im kind of tilting my foot out a little and pushing in with my heel, am I doing right?:confused:

It sounds like you are a bit of what I call a 'donald duck' :D Your toes shouldn't be sticking out, your foot should remain pretty much straight. When you want to squeeze it should be more with your whole lower leg, and definitely no flapping (never move your legs away from the horse's side to kick).

If you go better without stirrups, it sounds like you might be gripping a bit too much, especially with your knees, and possibly riding with stirrups that are too short. Your legs are supposed to be close to the horses side, but you're not supposed to hold on with them, if that makes sense, particularly not with your knees as that will push you up and out of the saddle.

What you need to focus on is sitting as deep into the saddle as possible. In halt, wiggle around until you feel you're right down into the saddle and let your legs drop down into position. Then check your stirrup length - the base of the stirrup should be at your ankle. Put your foot in the stirrup and make sure your weight is flowing down into the ball of your foot - not just that the stirrup is at the ball, but that there is actual pressure there, and your heels are down. That is what keeps you on board, not gripping with your legs. Then concentrate in maintaining posture such that your ear, shoulder, hip and heel are all in a straight line. Make sure you keep your head up at all times as it is the heaviest part of your body and affects your balance most. In particular, don't look down to check your canter lead. Final, and maybe most importantly, focus on relaxing into the horses movement, rather than over thinking it. If you relax you will find the rhythm with the horse much easier.

Forward going horses are nice to ride, but they can be a bit too perfect, and leave you unprepared when you leave the sometimes cosseted environment of the riding school. A slower horse will probably teach you more in the long term.

Finally, just remember the horse jumps the jump, not you. You just have to focus on getting him there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 meteora

You have to feel comfortable with the horse. I always found, that if you spend time working on flat work with a horse that ye can sort of read eachothers minds. Personally I love riding without stirrups..and I love dressage..so what I always did when I started off was worked on getting my horse down on the bit and smooth transitions etc..you say you fall in on the corners...that used to happen to me too but I just started thinking...hey..my leg is a solid pole and my horse has to bend around it..and it worked..I find that if you sit up proud, chin up etc..that it will do your seat, posture and even your canter technique the world of good. I also practised with no reins...just leg aids and that helps exponentially...back when I was a whippersnapper this manifested itself in me jumping a course of 6 1.40M jumps 2.5M spread with no reins!!! incredibly stupid, but it was the result of a years work with my horse and I am very proud of the feat.

here I am many years later..and even I still count my strides, say the little chants they thought us when learning to trot and canter etc in my head ..dont be disheartened..I found that after 6 years of horse riding that I could improve no further..and it took over a year before I found myself progressing again..practice makes perfect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kelly2010

Take thing really slow and try and improve on 1 thing at at time.. Get the basic postition first,. really try and build your lower leg by standing up out of the saddle and trying to stay there, kinda like in ur jumping position do this in walk and trot! you'll be surprised how good it works. Dont think too much about stuff it comes to you naturally some people have it and some dont and the ones that dont it comes to them eventually with some work. With your lower leg, ur toes should be straight beside the horses side think of ur legs in a "U" shape at the horses side and grip with the insides of ur legs and not the backs of them as some people do... and most of all enjoy it, its a great and rewarding hobby.. Best of Luck :)

• Advertisement

Well I thought id give a wee bit of an update on this. I went to a different school during the week, im still going to my old one but im going to try and fit this new one in as much as possible. It was a very different experience, there was only 4 of us in the class whereas theres usually anything up to 12 in the other class so I got loads done, and it was nice to ride some very different horses compared to what im used to, the instructor is very good and has given me some good advice. She reckons my position is good and that everything is in the right place but I just have to learn how to use it properly. Im going to enquire next week about getting a few lunge lessons. Thanks for all the advice everyone! ;)

Advertisement