Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital camera recommendations

• 29-01-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭

I am looking for a new digital camera. Brands of preference are Sony, Samsung or Nikon (last one was a Canon and want a change).
    I have no idea what to look for spec wise in a camera- last one was a gift !

Can anyone recommended any new digital cameras out there and where to get them for a good price? Budget of 150 euro.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have a read of the sticky at the top of the main forum:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055243345

This is without doubt the no. 1 asked question and it is a very difficult one to answer.
    Most users here would use SLR cameras and wouldn't spend too much time with Point and Shoot cameras. This makes offering advice about such cameras difficult as they're generally shunned in favour of big heavy cameras. We're also mostly SLR
    snobs! ;)

Anyway to answer your question a bit.
    Canon and Nikon are the big boys, but Samsung also make good compacts. Personally I don't like Sony but they do make good things.

The biggest problems with P&S cameras is slow to respond, slow to focus and noisy (fuzzy) images (especially in the dark).
    The Fuji F series were always highly regarded cameras noise-wise.
    I guess the best thing you can do is go to a shop and play with a few cameras.
    See which brands have the controls and menus you like the most. Then have a read online about which ones offer good performance. A few websites like DPreview and Steve's Digicams give good in-depth reviews.

One thing I don't like about P&S cameras in the shift to proprietary Li-ion batteries. I like camera's that can use AA batteries. That way if you're on holidays and the batteries die you can pop a few duracells in.

Also now technologies like Hybrid NiMH batteries can be used. These can offer much better battery life over the often low capacity Li-ions in most cameras today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 piddler

I know its outta budget but I'm after spending the morning playing with a Panasonic lumix tz7 (a birthday present for the woman) and its a pretty good camera I'm impressed if you want to buy a good p+s camera I'd hang on and buy one of them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Unless we have an idea of what you want the camera for, there is very little use in any reccommendations.

It's a bit like asking someone to reccommend what shoes you should buy. You may get someone telling you to get some really nice Italian Leather ones which are on special, but they would be useless if you wanted them for hiking or running etc.

Advertisement