Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He is pushing A Cole close for being unpopular

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

IMO most of the England team want to be in with the best chance of wining the world cup, moral values dont seem to be an issue at the moment .
    CHD wrote: »
    I wonder if a regular person is demoted in their job if they cheat?

This role model crap is annoying too. Kids aren't going to go out and cheat because Terry did. He is a great leader and a top centre half, should keep the armband. England's loss if he loses it. Not alot to do with football either, should move this to the celeb forum :pac:

Jaysus people can miss the point!

It's not to do with morals. It's not to do with the fact that he cheated on his wife. It's not to do with him being a role model. And this is not just celeb gossip.

It's to do with the fact that he shagged his teammate's baby's mother. This means that at least one member of the squad - probably the whole of the squad if they have any sense - will not trust him and will not want to follow him onto the field.

Would a regular person be demoted in their job if they cheat? Probably not. But if a team leader had an affair with a team member's baby's mother then it wouldn't be unusual for them to lose their position.

Teamwork and trust are massively important in football (you would think that that wouldn't need to be spelled out in here but apparently it does) and Terry has betrayed that trust and undermined the team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Pro. F wrote: »
    Jaysus people can miss the point!

It's not to do with morals. It's not to do with the fact that he cheated on his wife. It's not to do with him being a role model. And this is not just celeb gossip.

It's to do with the fact that he shagged his teammate's baby's mother. This means that at least one member of the squad - probably the whole of the squad if they have any sense - will not trust him and will not want to follow him onto the field.

Would a regular person be demoted in their job if they cheat? Probably not. But if a team leader had an affair with a team member's baby's mother then it wouldn't be unusual for them to lose their position.

Teamwork and trust are massively important in football (you would think that that wouldn't need to be spelled out in here but apparently it does) and Terry has betrayed that trust and undermined the team.

He leads on the pitch ,

He has been a muppet off the pitch,

Moral values seem to be high on the agenda on this forum.

Calls for the one of the best center backs in the country(England) to be dropped by some people on here.

Bridge has been injured for how many months now ? When he eventually comes back he has to try and get back into the Man City squad with a new manger and setup, Will he even make the world cup squad with only 4 months left to impress ?

Its already been leaked out that senior members of the squad are backing Terry , coming from a similar source as the original story .

People on here love the hype and hysteria .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Your average joe on the street now, but thats not comparing like with like. On the other hand, figureheads and people in positions of power and leadership do often hand in their resignations if they disgrace themselves in their private life. Often because their continued involvement would bring a negative impact to their former organization.

How many MP's resigned over the expenses scandal in the UK ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Calls for the one of the best center backs in the country(England) to be dropped by some people on here.

I dont think anyone called for him to be dropped.

Just to resign the captaincy.

Christ, I certainly wouldnt drop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I have no sympathy for Terry whatsoever.

It says alot about him, that the crux of his legal complaint in the opinion of the high court judge, was only concerned with his pocket and not that of the welfare of his family or bridge's.

Well played john, you dont 'get paid' to captain england so it shouldnt be much of a problem relinquishing the armband.

It's not to do with morals.

*gives up*

*gives up*

Have a look through the rest of the thread , I was not pointing the finger at you .

Moral issues have been raised by a lot of other posters .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well, first of all that was a professional scandal rather then something to do with their private life, so its not really relavent here anyway.

This is one that immediately springs to mind however as being much closer to this situation.
    Mellor resigns over sex scandal

David Mellor has resigned as heritage minister....In a letter to the prime minister he said he had become a burden to his colleagues and a point of weakness in the government, leaving him with no option to resign.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/24/newsid_2529000/2529115.stm

redout wrote: »
    I dont think anyone called for him to be dropped.

Just to resign the captaincy.

Christ, I certainly wouldnt drop him.
    Spockety wrote:

All the focus appears to be on the England captaincy, but what about his place in the squad itself?

Surely there is no way Wayne Bridge and John Terry can work together now, and it will have a horrible effect on the squad as they prepare for the World Cup if there is a nasty split atmosphere in the camp.

One of them will have to go, and should Wayne Bridge be the one who loses his berth in the England set up because the team captain was banging the mother of his child?

TERRY OUT!

• Advertisement

If you add up the 'paid back' expenses, the public apologies, the de-selections, the 'retirements', the resignations and the sackings its a handsome figure.

Have a look through the rest of the thread , I was not pointing the finger at you .

Moral issues have been raised by a lot of other posters .

Well you did quote me so it seemed like a response to my post.

So what do you say to the point that he has undermined the trust in the team by shagging his teammate's baby's ma? It doesn't matter if he wasn't on the pitch when he was riding her, it's still off limits for teammates and definitely not something a worthy captain can get away with imo.

The fact that Bridge might not be going to the WC isn't important imho. He's still a member of the squad when fit.

Well you did quote me so it seemed like a response to my post.

So what do you say to the point that he has undermined the trust in the team by shagging his teammate's baby's ma? It doesn't matter if he wasn't on the pitch when he was riding her, it's still off limits for teammates and definitely not something a worthy captain can get away with imo.

The fact that Bridge might not be going to the WC isn't important imho. He's still a member of the squad when fit.

I think its very wrong what he has done , but in saying that I think the good he can do for England outweighs the bad that this scandal will have caused.

I am not saying that this is correct its just my opinion .

SSN: One of the FA Committee has said he wants Terry to resign as captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He leads on the pitch ,

He has been a muppet off the pitch,

Bridge has been injured for how many months now ? When he eventually comes back he has to try and get back into the Man City squad with a new manger and setup, Will he even make the world cup squad with only 4 months left to impress ?

Its already been leaked out that senior members of the squad are backing Terry , coming from a similar source as the original story .

People on here love the hype and hysteria .

As the England team captain part of his job is to be the voice of all the players to the coaching, management and administrative staff. His leadership role is not confined to the pitch, it goes beyond that. He is to be the person players go to with questions and problems regarding the setup, he is to be their point of contact.

At least, that is the role Beckham claimed he fulfilled when he was captain.

As for on the pitch matters, captaincy shouldn't matter. if a player is a leader - he should show leadership qualities regardless of who is wearing the arm band.

This is ridiculous. Bridge going by his current form wouldn't have even made the world cup squad. Terry leads on the pitch and is one of the best leaders in the game. Although its just an armband Terry will still show his style and nature on the field even if he is strippd of his armband. As my old manager once said to me "Real Captains show themselves on the field regardless of an armband". I do think if Capello says something similar and strips him of the armband it will be better for him in the long term, otherwise the media will keep on their high horse saying he's a terrible role model and all that other sthuff and it will make the English NT implode. It must be a running joke that England actually have a chance of winning the World Cup until the media get a hold of scraps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

It's all great gossip fodder of course but thats incidental. If Cappello thinks morale and balance in his squad is affected then he will rightly drop Terry, regardless of how good he is, if he is a disruptive influence he is gone, simple as that.If not he stays and the gossip columns go on to some other idiot caught cheating.

What annoys me about this whole episode is that this ain't the first time he was caught cheating on his misses yet people say thats his business. It is of course, but does not stop people thinking he is cheating lying t*sser, which most do.

Only three months ago the very same 'Club Captain' had to be defended by his club after being caught on camera taking bribes for a personal guide around Stamford Bridge, expecially around off limits areas. How greedy does one have to be who earns something like £170,000 a week and take bribes like some chancer to take people around a stadium on your off day? Terry is what is wrong with modern footballers, lots of talent but no kop on and is so egotistical thinks they can do what they like, mostly cos they usually do and get away with it.

It's all great gossip fodder of course but thats incidental. If Cappello thinks morale and balance in his squad is affected then he will rightly drop Terry, regardless of how good he is, if he is a disruptive influence he is gone, simple as that.If not he stays and the gossip columns go on to some other idiot caught cheating.

What annoys me about this whole episode is that this ain't the first time he was caught cheating on his misses yet people say thats his business. It is of course, but does not stop people thinking he is cheating lying t*sser, which most do.

Only three months ago the very same 'Club Captain' had to be defended by his club after being caught on camera taking bribes for a personal guide around Stamford Bridge, expecially around off limits areas. How greedy does one have to be who earns something like £170,000 a week and take bribes like some chancer to take people around a stadium on your off day? Terry is what is wrong with modern footballers, lots of talent but no kop on and is so egotistical thinks they can do what they like, mostly cos they usually do and get away with it.

Was that not proved to be a set up by the NOTW and he was cleared of any wrongdoing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

SSN: One of the FA Committee has said he wants Terry to resign as captain.

Yeah but that could be Johnny the cleaner.
    Wouldn't really read anything into tbh, although I don't really care its the England team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

havent read the whole thread, but ill add my 2c

he should be stripped of it, from a morale point of view alone.

A captain needs all the players to look up to him.
    I dont believe that will be the case anymore and if england are 2 down at HT in the WC, if he starts to give a speech, will all the players be listening?

thats what capello needs to find out, if the answer is no, he can no longer be captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was that not proved to be a set up by the NOTW and he was cleared of any wrongdoing ?

it was a set up iirc, but he still offered private tours for large cash sums. Claims he always intended to give the money to charity but i dunno....

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Yeah but that could be Johnny the cleaner.
    Wouldn't really read anything into tbh, although I don't really care its the England team.

Who ? Doesnt the FA not have a 12 man committee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Of course it was a set up, how else would they get footage? Hardly my point really.

Sky Sports News has learnt that Terry has no intention of relinquishing the armband

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5916214,00.html

No surprise there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

This thread is ridiculous, why does it matter so much to us irish who is captain of england.

Sky Sports News has learnt that Terry has no intention of relinquishing the armband

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5916214,00.html

No surprise there!

GOOD:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MUSEIST wrote: »
    This thread is ridiculous, why does it matter so much to us irish who is captain of england.

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

:confused:

you have been in this thread as much as a lot of people....

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    :confused:

you have been in this thread as much as a lot of people....

Only out of sheer frustration and the mind numbinly ****e thread that this is, last time i was here the mod closed the thread, put us out of our misery and do it again, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The reason we have a ridic thread like this is clear to me.

Ashley Cole got his move to Chelsea and Arsenal fans dislike him for that. Then there was the incident where John Terry backed him up but the real underlying reason why people don't like him is that he got Cheryl. Its jealousy.

With John Terry the reason he is disliked is because he loves money and chicks and still has the England armband. Its jealousy again.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The reason we have a ridic thread like this is clear to me.

Ashley Cole got his move to Chelsea and Arsenal fans dislike him for that. Then there was the incident where John Terry backed him up but the real underlying reason why people don't like him is that he got Cheryl. Its jealousy.

With John Terry the reason he is disliked is because he loves money and chicks and still has the England armband. Its jealousy again.

Will you stop talking out of your hole please.

Terry got an injunction to protect his pocket and not the welfare of either family with young kids involved. The high court judge made comments to that effect and it was a spectacular own goal on his part. It was even one of the deciding factors of the judge to lift the injunction. If he had any capacity to act like a 'real man' he would have asked for the legal complaint in a compassionate way towards innocent parties instead of the obvious greed. If he did do this the judge may just have decided to uphold the injunction.

I have no fondness for chelsea but i have alot of respect for frank lampard who went on a radio station live via telephone to have it out with a cretin spouting BS about his private life. He came across very well, terry could take a few lessons off lampard imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

A similar thing happened to the USA back in 1998. It was long rumored that ex Sheff Wed/West Ham player John Harkes had an affair with USA teammate Eric Wynalda's wife. At the time, Harkes was captain of the US team and was dropped just before the World Cup in France supposedly because the manager wanted to play Harkes, a midfielder to at full back and Harkes refused. Now that part might still be true. However, it was always rumored about the affair but all parties involved denied it, even when Harkes refuted the claims in his biography.

Until this week. Wynalda co-hosts a TV show here in the US called Fox Football Fone-in on the Fox Soccer Channel, kind of like 606. They started talking about the Terry-Bridge controversy and sure enough he comes out about 1998 confirming that Harkes had an "inappropriate relationship" with his now ex-wife. Quite a revelation.

Now more has been unwinding in the last few days:
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/02/02/sports/AP-SOC-Harkes-Wynalda.html?_r=2

My point is that this divided the USA team who then went on to have a disastrous WC.

FatherTed wrote: »
    My point is that this divided the USA team who then went on to have a disastrous WC.
    You mean they played as expected:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Why do we even have a soccer thread on Boards? Surely the GAA is enough for us?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You mean they played as expected:)
    They're better than Ireland in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Lol @ chelsea fans here.

Lets face it if it were Ferdinand in the same boat or Gerrard (if they were England's captain) you'd be screaming for their heads.

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Lol @ chelsea fans here.

Lets face it if it were Ferdinand in the same boat or Gerrard (if they were England's captain) you'd be screaming for their heads.
    I'm not a Chelsea fan or indeed a fan of any of the bigger clubs. I personally think that the majority of people giving out are just jealous of the man, or dislike him for other reasons, such as him being a Chelsea player, or an England International.

As far as morals goes, well he isn't the first and he won't be the last. Didn't Giggs go off with a mates bird a couple of years back? I don't remember any big fuss over it though.

I'm not a Chelsea fan or indeed a fan of any of the bigger clubs. I personally think that the majority of people giving out are just jealous of the man, or dislike him for other reasons, such as him being a Chelsea player, or an England International.

As far as morals goes, well he isn't the first and he won't be the last. Didn't Giggs go off with a mates bird a couple of years back? I don't remember any big fuss over it though.

I'd imagine we'd all like to be in his position earning £170,000 per week etc. But im talking from purely a management point of view. The teams leader has shown very poor example and to do what he did with a potential team mate's ex/gf is not the role model the English captain is supposed to be. When he took the prestigious position of the captaincy he also accepted the responsibilitys going with it and imo he's getting what he deserves if he loses the captaincy.

Do you think Capello will keep him lads?

I reckon he'll lose the captaincy. Capello's a notorious family man and a man who believes in character etc. Purely a guess but i think he's going to SA as their CB and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Do you think Capello will keep him lads?

He's gone.

Apparently when the issue came out about Terry chargin 10k to see the ground capello gave him a feirice warning about what it means to be captain blah blah

step to far this time.

The fact other england team mates are showing support for brdige.

gonner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

ntlbell wrote: »

gonner.

Who did that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Didn't Giggs go off with a mates bird a couple of years back? I don't remember any big fuss over it though.

Don't think so :confused: any links on this story....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Reports about "team Terry" seem to suggest otherwise, but that was the sun so you'd take the story with a truckload of salt

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

They're better than Ireland in fairness.

Similar level I'd reckon. Though they'll get better and better than us as time passes.

The point stands though - team spirit, morale, whatever you want to call it, matters.

Sounds like things got even better for Terry

Disclaimer:
    It is the Daily Mail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

That "article" seems to suggest he has a serious gambling problem and thats why he is always raising money any possible way 4 mortgages in 7 years is crazy. then again it's the mail.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Don't think so :confused: any links on this story....
    No I don't have any links but iirc it involved a former teammate from the youths who was still great mates with the Nevilles, Giggs and Beckham. One of the rags broke the story and claimed that Giggs was going to be sold for big money because the Nevilles and Beckham had blacklisted him or something like that. I can't remember the details but it all blew over very quickly and Giggs was never given anything like the treatment of Terry.

• Advertisement

No I don't have any links but iirc it involved a former teammate from the youths who was still great mates with the Nevilles, Giggs and Beckham. One of the rags broke the story and claimed that Giggs was going to be sold for big money because the Nevilles and Beckham had blacklisted him or something like that. I can't remember the details but it all blew over very quickly and Giggs was never given anything like the treatment of Terry.

But Giggs wasnt England captain. In fact he wasnt even club captain.

Nobody gives a hoot about Terry's role as capatin at Chelsea do they ?

All the furore is about the England captaincy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

his wife is called toni terry. lol

Hadnt thought of this before but seemingly all four men in charge of this situation are Italian (Mancini, Capello, Ancelloti, Baldini). Its a rather odd coincidence and I wonder will they all share the same view. Several of the early morning papers seem to reckon Capello could keep Terry on as captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That "article" seems to suggest he has a serious gambling problem and thats why he is always raising money any possible way 4 mortgages in 7 years is crazy. then again it's the mail.

It's been long reported that Terry had a gambling problem. I remember reading a story a few years ago about himself and (ironically) Wayne Bridge going gambling almost every day after training and betting heavily.

It's always been a problem in football though, players have alot of free time and alot money and gambling is one of the things they get sucked into. Wayne Rooney is rumoured to have lost alot of money gambling, and I remember Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink a few years ago admitted that he had lost about 700 thousand.

Stoke have offered Matthew Etherington an improved contract to help pay the debts he has accrued from gambling.They've reportedly offered to keep a portion of wages aside each month that will go to paying his gambling debts. He owes 800k I believe, but the chairman praised his form and attitude and said the club want to help him.

I'm sure there are many others too. It's crazy that someone like Terry with his massive wages would need to remortgage the house to raise extra money. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true though, as gambling heavily is one sure-fire way to lose alot of money in a relatively short space of time.

gonner.

Any links to this fact?

• Advertisement
Advertisement