Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy/Sci Fi recommendations?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Tolkien is hard to read just because he is boring and addicted to his backgrounds that go nowhere and hard-to-remember names. Putting Lord of the Rings into 2 hour movies was the best thing ever, as you don't have to read through his extended prose and dead-end characters and histories.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The Winter of the World series from Michael Scott Rohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Anyone else read the Isavalta trilogy by Sarah Zettel? A lot darker and more hardcore fantasy than a lot of books I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I'm reading this at the moment and enjoying it immensely. Lovely collection of the very best short stories published in the magazine. So many classic & contemporary authors - Bradbury, Bester, Gaiman, King etc. You could give it a read and then pick the novels from the authors you like.

51Nr5w4HA6L._SS500_.jpg

Some absolute gems in there that I've wanted to read for some time, like Flowers for Algernon. So far, I've just been lazy and read the really short ones. Neil Gaiman's 'Other People' and Alfred Bester's 'Of Time & 3rd Avenue' are the highlights so far. The former is a very interesting depiction of hell, the latter is about a man in the 50s getting his hands on a 1990 almanac, back to the future style.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just finished reading all of R E Feist's books over the last couple of weeks and i got to say i love his world. Great overall output and it makes me a bit sad that there's only two/three books left :/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

always loved feist, but I stopped reading somewhere around 'prince of krondor' I think. His writing just deteriorated, and I really didnt like the shrinking of size oft he books and the increase in font size. Just felt cheated out of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 romeromerome

Patrick Rothfuss 'The Name of the Wind'

Just rereading it again, great story and very well written. The first of 3 with the next book for this time next year. Its the book that I've been making my friends read for the last year :D annoying

Patrick Rothfuss 'The Name of the Wind'

Just rereading it again, great story and very well written. The first of 3 with the next book for this time next year. Its the book that I've been making my friends read for the last year :D annoying

This is why i no longer read series until they're all written at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

lordgoat wrote: »
    This is why i no longer read series until they're all written at least!
    +1 to that

I'm currently waiting for George RR Martin, Brandon Sanderson and Steven Erikson to get the various series wrapped up.

Anyone looking for something to read, 'Horns' by Joe Hill is well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I see Kurt Vonnegut on that magazine cover. Reminds me of a quote of his: "I have been a soreheaded occupant of a file drawer labeled 'Science Fiction' and I would like out, particularly since so many serious critics regularly mistake the drawer for a urinal."

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

1. Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat [ SF] Great comedy.
    2. Pandoras Star - Judas Unchained - Great Space opera
    3. Alan Dean foster books [ great SF and great crack ]
    4. Jules Verne - 10,000 leagues under the sea
    5. let's not forget horror crossovers - HP Lovecraft/Cthulhu
    6. Starship Troopers - Heinlein [ bit heavy handed but all in a good cause ]
    7. 2001 A Space Odyssey - Clarke , or Rendezvous with Rama
    8. Dune - Herbert - a classic's.
    9. Banksypoos [ any , Excession and Matter are my favouries ]

that's SF, now for F

Anne McCaffrey, Pern stuff.
    Julian May, the prehistoric stuff.
    Alan Garner, Elidor, Weirdstone,etc.
    LOTR
    Narnia

Gurgle wrote: »
    +1 to that

I'm currently waiting for George RR Martin, Brandon Sanderson and Steven Erikson to get the various series wrapped up.

Anyone looking for something to read, 'Horns' by Joe Hill is well worth it

Haha Snap on two of those series.

I'll pick up horns next week and let you know what i think.

If you're looking for a nice tidy trilogy - Brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy.

He actually writes the entire story then splits it into books and releases them a month apart. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

For Sci-Fi I though Orson Scott Card's Ender's game series was great! The first one is short and enjoyable while the others expand greatly on the philosophy of the universe in the novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Kate Elliott - The Crown of Stars (Septology)
    Only if you like your Fantasy Low and Dark.

Dan Simmons - Hyperion
    Similar enough to Iain M Banks, at least in it's scope and breadth.

David Wingrove - Chung Kuo
    Massive series, both in length and the world created.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

TheBandit wrote: »

I read the Necroscope series years ago and loved it. vampire/fantasay book

Yea me too,i'm a big fan of the Necroscope series.The best Vampire series written IMO.Liked his unique take on the vampire legends and the way he blended his vision into the folklore we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Just a quick mention for Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. I never really like dragon based books before but I do now. Just about to start the fourth book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'm really surprised people are recommending David Gemmel, he's one of the worst fantasy writers out there. IMO His novels are really generic, his characters bland and cliched, his plots formulaic and nearly identical from book to book.

My recommendation for fantasy would be:
    George RR Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire)
    JRR Tolkien (LOTR, The Hobbit)
    Stephen Donaldson (Thomas Covenant)
    Tad Williams (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn)
    Robert Jordan (WOT, though I stopped reading it at book 9)

And Sci Fi:
    Orson Scott Card (pretty much all his work, start with Ender's Game)
    Philip K. Dick
    Frank Herbert (Dune)
    Isaac Asimov
    Arthur C. Clarke

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The only series I could not finish to date due to utterly hating the sopping, oh woe be me I'm so scared, main character (I refuse to call him hero). Agree with the rest though.

As for additions (Sci Fi):
    Orphanage series - Robert Buettner (first books are better then the last but it finishes at least)
    The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction - A nice mix of short stories and authors to let people dive further into new authors not expected
    Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan (first in a trilogy, the follow up are far weaker imo but I love anything Richard writes so :pac: ).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Chosen by Jerry Ibbotson is a great book,takes a while to get into it but when it takes off its great.

I'm really surprised people are recommending David Gemmel, he's one of the worst fantasy writers out there. IMO His novels are really generic, his characters bland and cliched, his plots formulaic and nearly identical from book to book.
    Ahh, it depends on what "stage" you're at. Most people who start reading fantasy start with them or something similarly forumulaic, Eddings etc.
    I honestly wouldn't give someone "new" to fantasy, Tolkien or Martin. They're just too dense unless the reader is used to similarly twisting fiction in another genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Wow, i was away and later without internet for some time so ive come back to hell of a lot of books on this list :D

In the interim ive read about 4 Pratchetts, player of games, and the first book of the dresdan files(among others not relevant here). They were all very good but player of games really hit the mark in terms of what i was after which is another world. Next up will be Consider Phleabus, Enders Game and the second Dune(Ive been wary about this because i havent heard good things). After that im think im going to take the plunge into George RR Martin's stuff since he seems to be very well thought of on here.

I noticed someone said Lovecraft, ive never read any of his stuff but - Not to derail the thread - is horror a common theme in Sci Fi books because im generally pretty keen on films with that kind of tone.

Anyways keep the advice coming, its been great. Now back to the reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Warm Panda Cola

Not sure if it's been mentioned in here yet, but the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. I just recently finished the final book of the series-Assasin's Quest, and what an amazing trilogy, simply some of the best books I've ever read!! Her style of writing completely draws you in & you get very emotionally involved with the characters! I was nearly in tears when I'd finished it! I'm going to get started on the Tawny Man now, which I think is based on one of the characters from the Farseer Trilogy!

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I noticed someone said Lovecraft, ive never read any of his stuff but - Not to derail the thread - is horror a common theme in Sci Fi books because im generally pretty keen on films with that kind of tone.
    Not that I've noticed. If anyone has any recommendations in that specific line of thing I'd be interested myself!
    Not sure if it's been mentioned in here yet, but the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. I just recently finished the final book of the series-Assasin's Quest, and what an amazing trilogy, simply some of the best books I've ever read!! Her style of writing completely draws you in & you get very emotionally involved with the characters! I was nearly in tears when I'd finished it! I'm going to get started on the Tawny Man now, which I think is based on one of the characters from the Farseer Trilogy!
    Read the Liveship Traders first. They're chronologically next but besides that, are a cracking read in and of themselves. Really flesh out the world that the Farseers reside in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Warm Panda Cola

Thanks for the tip Nevore! The Tawny Man trilogy is really intriguing me as well, because I really loved the Fool's character in the Farseer Trilogy, especially the way it played out towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Sconsey wrote: »
    +1 for Hyperion, and the follow up book Fall of Hyperion are both great sci-fi. Am reading another Dan Symmons called Illium at the moment, it's interesting.

I read one called Revelation Space a while ago (can't remember the authors name), maybe a little bit heavy at times but a great read if you like sci-fi, it seemed to go under the radar a bit in the media.

There's a sci-fi classic called Enders Game by Orson Scott Card, I read it years ago, it's a great read, especially for younger readers.

agree about Enders Game.... a must read for all sci-fi/fantasyv fans...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

I was rather impressed by Nancy Kress' "An Alien Light". Well-drawn characters, good idea, interesting thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

My recommendation for fantasy would be:
    George RR Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire)
    JRR Tolkien (LOTR, The Hobbit)
    Stephen Donaldson (Thomas Covenant)
    Robert Jordan (WOT, though I stopped reading it at book 9)

And Sci Fi:
    Orson Scott Card (pretty much all his work, start with Ender's Game)
    Philip K. Dick
    Frank Herbert (Dune)
    Isaac Asimov
    Arthur C. Clarke

id have to disagree to be honest some of his characters have really stuck with me over the past decade, to each their own i suppose

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

id have to disagree to be honest some of his characters have really stuck with me over the past decade, to each their own i suppose

Depends which Gemmel book you're reading I suppose. I love his later works, but the likes of Waylander leave a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Depends which Gemmel book you're reading I suppose. I love his later works, but the likes of Waylander leave a lot to be desired.

waylander wouldnt have been my favorite either, loved the rigante, jon shannow, skillgannon and druss series though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

waylander wouldnt have been my favorite either, loved the rigante, jon shannow, skillgannon and druss series though

Druss the Legend is a good one! The Troy series is easily his best-written stuff though.

Advertisement