Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Laser card refund fiasco!

Options
  • 29-01-2010 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I don't know where to start... I'll begin with the fact that I had to re-register in order to post this as I still don't have access to my original boards.ie account which is carbsy.After the attack I have emailed (more than once with all the information required) hello@boards.ie but am still awaiting even a reply.

Anyhow.. where to begin...

Basically I was on a long trip to Thailand last October and have only returned home 2 weeks ago.I was betting whilst away with a well known English bookmaker and won a few bob.I made a withdrawl of a four figure sum last October but it had to be split into more than one amount as the maximum laser card refund is €1500.

No problem.... other amounts came into my AIB bank account but there was a missing €1500.Ok ... so I was away and had a bit of money so I didn't notice it until Weds of this week as I finally got to sit down and go through all the transactions I had made.

Now.. I've been on the phone to the bookmaker in question and AIB bank ( the 2 people I spoke to at my local branch were extremely unknowledgeable and I had to make a complaint today) for the last 2 days (we're talking hours each day!) and basically the bookmaker is stating that the money was sent and they gave me numerous authorisation codes etc from their bank (HSBC) which AIB bank didn't recognise.On further investigation by AIB bank they told me that the money hit their bank and then was takin back by the bookmaker and that was that according to them.

The bookmakers have said umteen times that they didn't do this and haven't received anything back!

God ... I'm at my wits end now at this stage as my account has gone into a right mess (over 800 in arrears and has affected my credit rating) over this fiasco and numerous missed direct debit charges etc .... extremely fustrated!!!!!!!!! ????????!!!!!!!!

Now, I've calmed down a little bit to create this thread but where do I go from here? My account is in a mess directly because of this c0ck up as I had planned things when I was away to leave a certain amount in my account to cover bills etc but it never reached my account.

I'm after getting numerous threatening letters from AIB bank since I came home regarding my account and am ready to petrol bomb the place in anger and fustration! (JOKE)

What can I do next? I'm at my wits end over it.

cheers,

carbsy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Basically there's an amount of 1.5k lost between banks.What do I do next? I've exhausted the tele phone route.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

carbsy2 wrote: »
    Basically there's an amount of 1.5k lost between banks.What do I do next? I've exhausted the tele phone route.....

official complaint if you think the bank messed up here. They will investigate it then.

chris85 wrote: »
    official complaint if you think the bank messed up here. They will investigate it then.

Thanks for the advice chris85 but I'm not 100% sure which end the problem is with, hence my posting here.I've hit a dead end with both sides and am out €1500 with AIB bank sending me threatening letters.Very stressful. :(

I would take the word of the bank that the payment hit and was bounced back. But this could take another day or two to bounce back to the bookies acct. At the moment its in limbo somewhere.

I would take the word of the bank that the payment hit and was bounced back. But this could take another day or two to bounce back to the bookies acct. At the moment its in limbo somewhere.

This happened last October! I'm only home now and trying to sort things out.I had more money than sense then and didn't notice it.

• Advertisement

This happened last October! I'm only home now and trying to sort things out.I had more money than sense then and didn't notice it.

ok thats very odd. get your bank to provide information on the payment bouncing back

ok thats very odd. get your bank to provide information on the payment bouncing back

I tried chris, been in there most of the morning with them and they can't give me a reference number for it.Goin spare atm! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Look you need to ask the bookmaker to get their finger out. Its their problem not Aib's. The originator bank must trace the payment. Aib wont be able to sort this out and you abusing staff wont help either.

stepbar wrote: »
    Look you need to ask the bookmaker to get their finger out. Its their problem not Aib's. The originator bank must trace the payment. Aib wont be able to sort this out and you abusing staff wont help either.

Who said anything about abusing staff eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pink27

Ya you must go back to the originator. They will put a tracer on it to see where funds were lodged.Also if it bounced back it bounced back for a reason, obviously something was wrong with the payment. Persist with the bookies

• Advertisement

pink27 wrote: »
    Ya you must go back to the originator. They will put a tracer on it to see where funds were lodged.Also if it bounced back it bounced back for a reason, obviously something was wrong with the payment. Persist with the bookies

I'm trying pink27 but I'm hitting a brick wall.The bookmakers account manager wants to talk to someone in accounts in AIB and they won't talk to him.I don't know what I'm going to do next, feel helpless.

Thanks T-Square, you've given me some hope!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

T Square, please refrain from using language that may offend other posters.

After doing a tonne of research I will get onto the UK Gambling Commission in the morning and also the Financial Ombudsman in Ireland and move this up a level as I'm getting nowhere as it is.Thanks for the help all.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd also recommend that any further communication with the bank and the bookmaker should be done in writing, either by email or by snail mail. This way you'll have a record of correspondence.

Thanks Toots!

I have an update on this.

The bookmaker in question is 100% sure that they did not receive the €1,500 back and that it nearly always is kept in the banks suspense account until the funds can be directed to the correct account.

What can I do now as my branch say it's not?

I forgot to add that I actually lost my laser card in on the weekend in question so the refund would have been made back to my old laser card which could have been disabled then.The bank is aware of this and they said it shouldn't make a difference but how did the other transaction come through fine? It all smells a bit fishy tbh.

The bookmaker in question is 100% sure that they did not receive the €1,500 back and that it nearly always is kept in the banks suspense account until the funds can be directed to the correct account.

I forgot to add that I actually lost my laser card in on the weekend in question so the refund would have been made back to my old laser card which could have been disabled then.The bank is aware of this and they said it shouldn't make a difference but how did the other transaction come through fine? It all smells a bit fishy tbh.

The change in Laser card should not be any problem. I would be directed towards the account anyways.

Get the bookies to provide details of the trace they put out. If they havent traced then they need to do it.

The change in Laser card should not be any problem. I would be directed towards the account anyways.

Get the bookies to provide details of the trace they put out. If they havent traced then they need to do it.

Thanks Chris.The bookies did do a trace and I gave AIB bank all the details.AIB are now running a trace on the 1.5k that they said the bookmaker took back.

Finger crossed!

It wouldn't make a difference which laser card it was refunded to, it would still be linked to your account even if it was cancelled.

It sounds to me like the money may be floating around in one of the banks, my guess would be the bookmakers. Usually a payment is only held onto for about a week in a suspense accountbefore being returned to the originator.

• Advertisement

*UPDATE*

AIB have told me that the €1,500 was credited to their suspense account and then recalled.Apparently it's possible to do this.They gave me an internal reference number for this transaction but can't/won't give me the Swift Code and IBAN number of where the money went to.

The bookmaker has checked all records (they've been extremely helpful tbh) and said they did not recall the money and could I please get the Swift Code and IBAN number of where the money was sent back to but AIB won't give me these details as they say their are none as it was 'recalled not sent back'.

Now I've been dealing with my local branch on this matter as they have been checking with the AIB accounts department as no one else (I've rang head office on the matter at least 3 times and have been diverted back to my branch) will discuss the matter with me and I've been sent around and around in circles.

I'm totally at my wits end now with this ... can someone please give me some advice over what I can do? Or can anyone help?

Many thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I can't believe that this is still ongoing.

Look. The Bookmaker sent the money. IT'S UP TO THEM TO FIND OUT WHERE IT WENT (THROUGH THEIR BANK WHO WILL GET IN TOUCH WITH AIB). THE BOOKMAKERS BANK MUST PUT A TRACE ON THE FUNDS. YOU DO NOT GET INVOLVED AT ALL WITH AIB. THE BOOKMAKER IS FOBBING YOU OFF AND YOU'RE LETTING THEM. IT'S THEIR RESPONCIBILITY (ALONG WITH THEIR BANK) TO FIND OUT WHERE THE MONEY WENT. IF AIB FCUKED UP THEN THEY ARE AT A LOSS BUT YOU DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH AIB.

I'm sorry I didn't make this clear enough the first time......

Advertisement