Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career prospects in Psychology? Mature student (30)

• 29-01-2010 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Apologies in advance if this is not in the right place or has been covered before.

I'm a 30 year old Chartered Architect. I was made redundant in October and am considering going back to study as a mature student. I still enjoy Architecture but in a lot of ways I think something like Psychology could be more fulfilling. Psychology has always been a background interest and the more I'm looking into it I feel it could be a great avenue to pursue.

Now, I've also heard that post-grad places are like hens teeth, salaries are crap and it'll take about 8-10 years to finally qualify.

I just thought I'd ask you guys for a bit of honest advice. I'm still young enough to re-train but at the same time I don't want to be a student til I'm 40 with nothing but a hefty debt to pay off.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi Herbiemac, I feel quite reluctant to tell you that becoming a psychologist is a long road. 3 yrs undergrad/1 yr HipDipPsych; get experience on low pay; apply for Clinical/Counselling Psychology; get rejected; off to get more experience; eventually succeed; 3 year PhD programme. (Both Clinical Psychology and Counselling Psychology have their pick of graduates with lots of experience.)

But maybe you just want a degree. Which is worth - just a degree.

Or one of the less popular specialities - Occupational/Educational?

At the moment there are few jobs in the area as the HSE has a recruitment freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭herbiemcc

Thanks for the honest advice. I've already done a 7 year architecture course so while repeating that isn't ideal I could do it if I enjoyed the work along the way.

I'm more put off by the prospect of meeting a complete dead end after 4 or 5 years and being stuck between two careers.

I'll have to really think about it...

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Lots of info on the different psychology careers on the Psychological Society of Ireland and the British Psychological Society websites.

It's a great job and the pay is generally good, but it is usually a long road. Anyway, often people get diverted to a different speciality to the one they originally intended as they find out more about what aspects of psychology they like. I hate putting people off with the length of training, and uncertainty for future job prospects.

Maybe you could marry the two interests with Design Psychology or something?

Advertisement