Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I keep going off subject with my English comparative texts! ):

Options
  • 29-01-2010 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

You guys/gals got any tips? We recently had a question with around 10 pictures representing different stuff. One was about aliens reaching the planet.. and why we though it would "redefine" the world.

I started going on about us fighting the aliens and how they got through our solar system..

^ got 0 marks.

Any suggestions/advice? I'm finding it hard to stay on-topic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Em, what's that got to do with the comparative? Sounds like it's Paper I texts you're asking about.

It sounds like you went off on a narrative rather than answering the question. You didn't say how aliens reaching this planet would redefine the world.

The only tip I can offer is practise, this will help you get the hang of answering. Pick the questions you feel you can answer well, not the one you'd like to answer or the one you think you should answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hellomoto

deemark wrote: »
    Em, what's that got to do with the comparative? Sounds like it's Paper I texts you're asking about.

It sounds like you went off on a narrative rather than answering the question. You didn't say how aliens reaching this planet would redefine the world.

The only tip I can offer is practise, this will help you get the hang of answering. Pick the questions you feel you can answer well, not the one you'd like to answer or the one you think you should answer.

Yes, I apologize, I should have said I was referring to Paper 1 texts.
    I try to stay on point but usually get carried off somewhere, they leave you with a corny image and the question states "based on the image.." which is pretty hard trying to get 3 points from (6-10 lines in total = 10 marks)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

hellomoto wrote: »
    Yes, I apologize, I should have said I was referring to Paper 1 texts.
    I try to stay on point but usually get carried off somewhere, they leave you with a corny image and the question states "based on the image.." which is pretty hard trying to get 3 points from (6-10 lines in total = 10 marks)

That used to happen to me all the time. Just when you feel like your getting carried off point, refer to the question. When you talked about going on about some stuff about Aliens just say: judging this picture, it looks like this is happening/this is what looks like may happen from looking at the picture.

Refer to the question and you can't really get 0. I assume you're doing pass, so I can't really help you cause I haven't ever seen the papers or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

There's no difference between HL and OL when it comes to paper I. If the question says 'based on the image', your answer must stay grounded in the image. If you write 8 lines without mentioning the image, you've gone wrong.

If you find that you go off-task more in the image question, avoid it. Sometimes it's easier to stay focused on the written texts. The same applies though, you have to keep mentioning the text, not go off and write a a big opinon or imagination piece that starts in the text but has nothing to do with the question.

Advertisement