Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History: Careers...?

Options
  • 29-01-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Doing the leaving cert now and hoping to go on and study history, or maybe sociology (or both) in some guise. Was wondering if anybody knew if there were any career prospects whatsoever apart from secondary teaching? Also wanted to know(although I suspect I wont get an answer) just how difficult it is to become a lecturer....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CrazyStraighty

A degree in history can lead to anything! You don't necessarily even have to end up working as a historian, teacher or lecturer. It's a fantastic degree subject because it teaches you to research and evaluate the material that you find within it's cultural context and the author's own bias. This is a skill that will stand to you in any job.

I did my BA in History and Politics. I originally wanted to take History with Sociology until I discovered that I hated sociology with a passion! I then took a masters in peace and development studies. I was considering doing my PhD in history at that stage but thought that I was too young to take it on. I took my masters and then went to find a job. I thought that I would end up working in research. However, they were no jobs that I could find so quickly had to start applying for other things.

I ended up working in the admissions office as a college. The skills that stood to me from my history degree was the ability to find information and summarise it quickly. Also, being able to separate the verifiable facts when looking at marketing proposals! Two years on, I manage the office and research and write admissions policy as well as dealing with students.

I'm also waiting on a panel for third secretary in DFA and considering returning to to a PhD if that doesn't work out.

A degree in history teaches you skills, and those skills can be applied to anything as long as you have some social skills and don't mind working hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Octobrist

thanks a million thats been really helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Thanks for that aswell! I didnt keep on history for my leaving cert even though I liked the subject.. a decision I now regret! I hope to do it as part of my arts degree next year, if I am doing Arts that is! So thanks for that information!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

cork*girl wrote: »
    Thanks for that aswell! I didnt keep on history for my leaving cert even though I liked the subject.. a decision I now regret! I hope to do it as part of my arts degree next year, if I am doing Arts that is! So thanks for that information!

I noticed your location is East Cork, are you going to be studying in UCC for your degree? UCC has History as one of your potential subjects, it's a 'beginners' module so to speak as you don't need to have a strong knowledge of it or a Leaving Certificate requirement to study it in college.

First year is quite rigid in it's History selection but 2nd and 3rd year enable you to expand and choose what areas interest you; thus you'll be more inclined to read and enjoy that area.

Any other questions; PM me if you wish and if you're not going to UCC, the same formula may apply elsewhere. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CrazyStraighty

I may be biased but UCC is the best history course! However, Trinity's is also impressive and if I could have afforded to move to Dublin, I would have had a very hard time choosing.

A word of warning about HPSS in UL, I know a lot of people who completed it and were disappointed in it. They focus in on history from the 1500s upwards from what I can gather.

If you're thinking history, you should read the course outlines for the possible modules you can take. I know that you can do this on the UCC website, http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/page036.html and if it gets you excited then choose UCC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

If you're thinking history, you should read the course outlines for the possible modules you can take. I know that you can do this on the UCC website, http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/page036.html and if it gets you excited then choose UCC!

OP, if you're doing Arts in UCC, specifically you should not understate how beneficial the above link is. It's a list of all the History subjects within History itself. The 1, 2, 3 etc. denotes the year of study; example HI2001 is a second year module and so on.

Advertisement