Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere nice for lunch near Aungier St

Options
  • 29-01-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice and cheap for lunch?? Kind of getting fed up of a over filled roll, preferably a nice healthy meal?? Near Aungier st/Kevin st if possible!

Comments

In Gerry's (It's down the lane across the road from Whelan's - beside Fresh) You can get the best "Mammy's cooking" going. Shepherds pies, Pepper Burgers, Mince, Stews, Fish etc. served with spuds and veg all for the princely sum of €6.50!

Much better than a roll

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

OMG sounds yum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

Solas do lovely food,it can be a bit pricey though.

There's a place called yum yums abit up from that,that does lasange and paninis etc for 7euro.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

The canteen in DIT Aungier St actually does good grub. As nice as Gerrys imo and slightly cheaper and much bigger portions. Has changed a lot since I was in first year.

wixfjord wrote: »
    The canteen in DIT Aungier St actually does good grub. As nice as Gerrys imo and slightly cheaper and much bigger portions. Has changed a lot since I was in first year.

Honestly I don't think I'll be eating there...!!
    Pork disaster 1st year, havn't eaten there since and don't intend to! I like to get out of college as well for one hour, to keep me sane:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Papa Smut wrote: »
    In Gerry's (It's down the lane across the road from Whelan's - beside Fresh) You can get the best "Mammy's cooking" going. Shepherds pies, Pepper Burgers, Mince, Stews, Fish etc. served with spuds and veg all for the princely sum of €6.50!

Much better than a roll

Still have to get down to Gerrys one day, amount of times I've passed it meaning to go in but being on a full stomach.:mad:

I'm definitely going to give Gerry's a go!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Bliss, just a few doors down from Gerry's is good too.

Then on Harcourt Street both Dicey's and D2 have a nice carvery lunch for less than €7. Green Nineteen on Camden Street is very nice as well.

No shortage of options really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

There's a lil bar just up from DIT, Solas its called. Just across from the Spar and Eddie Rockets, it does a serious lunch for a tenner. The Chili chicken noodles are unreal! Really good food for not that much money!

When I was in DIT, I much rathered it than Gerry's, but I can see the attraction to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Dublin Business School canteen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

wixfjord wrote: »

Are you on drugs? It's awful. I've defended the place before, but it's utter ****e.

Hell Pizza, just opposite subway on camden st (the one at the aungier street / kevin street junction). Cheap lunch pizzas, really nice too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

discus wrote: »
    Are you on drugs? It's awful. I've defended the place before, but it's utter ****e.

Hell Pizza, just opposite subway on camden st (the one at the aungier street / kevin street junction). Cheap lunch pizzas, really nice too!

the name and decor put me off that place even tho the food is nice, got a free sample on the street one time. I dont even believe in 'hell' but I just cant warm to the place

can anyone go into those student canteens? I think I dress like a student so I should fit in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

. I dont even believe in 'hell' but I just cant warm to the place

Takeaway and into the Iveagh Gardens with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Brioche, Crunch Cafe beside it and Milk & Honey across the road are all lovely. Nice soups, salads & pie thingys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

jdivision wrote: »
    Takeaway and into the Iveagh Gardens with you!
    In January?! You're braver than I am.

Now someone has mentioned Iveagh Gardens I can't wait for Summer again. While away the hours with cheapo M&S lunch, Irish Times crossword, Elderflower drink and your other half snoozing away in the sun....of course you'll have to quit the job, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

I'm in DIT Aungier St, I normally head to Gourmet Burger Kitchen on Sth William St, its 5er for a burger before 5pm, seriously good eating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Would you consider Govinda's on Aungier St?

Seriously good veggie food.

I'm not a vegetarian but have eaten there many many times. :)

mud wrote: »
    Would you consider Govinda's on Aungier St?

Seriously good veggie food.

I'm not a vegetarian but have eaten there many many times. :)

Is it still a tenner for a big plate of vegetables? the price in that place is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Is it still a tenner for a big plate of vegetables? the price in that place is ridiculous.

dunno, I always get the fiver special and have trouble finishing it.

Went to Solas today there on Camden St, Was nice but portion sizes were tiny and think I ended up paying €13! We were still hungry after leaving and we're not hard to feed....

Does anyone know what the food in the Cornerstone is like now? Havn't been there is almost two years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Bobo's rocks. ;)

candy19 wrote: »
    Went to Solas today there on Camden St, Was nice but portion sizes were tiny and think I ended up paying €13! We were still hungry after leaving and we're not hard to feed....

Does anyone know what the food in the Cornerstone is like now? Havn't been there is almost two years...
    \Cue hypnotic music

Go. To. Gerry's........

\end hypnotic music*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

On Gerry's: I've seen toast served with the breakfast there that had mould on it. I also know of someone who was given toast that was already buttered. It can do the job but frankly is a bit rough around the edges.

GBK burgers are grand and are worth getting on a deal, the chips however are ****e frozen yokes and the service at the South William St one has been poor both times I darkened its door.

Solas is a good lunch venue, I'm not sure what was ordered by the poster above who said the portions were small, but it wasn't any of the following: Club Sandwich, Burgers, BLT, Wok Fried Chicken etc etc. These are all filling enough to satisfy a large hungry man.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

bugler wrote: »
    On Gerry's: I've seen toast served with the breakfast there that had mould on it. I also know of someone who was given toast that was already buttered. It can do the job but frankly is a bit rough around the edges.

GBK burgers are grand and are worth getting on a deal, the chips however are ****e frozen yokes and the service at the South William St one has been poor both times I darkened its door.

Solas is a good lunch venue, I'm not sure what was ordered by the poster above who said the portions were small, but it wasn't any of the following: Club Sandwich, Burgers, BLT, Wok Fried Chicken etc etc. These are all filling enough to satisfy a large hungry man.

Gerrys serves up very basic food, in small enough portions for me anyway, for a bigger price than the DIT canteen, which has bigger portions and is nicer imo. Dunno why people tend to bad mouth it. Ive gotten spaghetti, stew, beef stroganoff etc in Gerrys, and it fills a hole, but theres not a whole lot of it and it isnt tasty.

Advertisement