Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cover side gates

Options
  • 29-01-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I have my driveway running down the side of the house and there's a set of double gates at the end. The problem is that the gates end on the road and while they're secure, the dogs can see everyone and everything passing by and they bark, all the time. If I'm there I roar out the window and they stop, for a while, but it's when I'm not there I'm worried about, I'm sure it's driving the neighbours mental.

So here's my question - how do I cover the gates? I've tried sheets of wood but they make the gates really heavy and they rattle in the wind. I've also tried willow screening but the dogs ate it! Does anyone have any ideas? Or has anyone had the same problem, how did you solve it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sheets of aluminium maybe? Much lighter than big wooden sheets and with a bit of work, you should be able to fix them solidly enough to stop rattling.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

It mightn't be pretty but sheets of SHEET? Black king size duvet covers could possibly do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Now that could be really good plan, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A material sheet could get pretty heavy in the rain and the dogs might rip it off since they are chewers.

A light aluminuim as said could be your best bet, there's plastic sheeting you can get and could be painted black to block out sight and put on it.

If you pop to your nearest co-op or hardware and wander around the warehouses where they have various types of sheeting and stuff you'll probably come across something that will work.

A thin marine ply might work like plywood if you can get it, plywood itself would probably rot but if you put woodstaind on it first it should last a while before it needs replacing.

They'll still hear people passing though so might still bark a good bit, another option might be to put solid gates further up the driveway if you're drive is suitable for it.

Advertisement