Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to tell a company what another company quoted you?

Options
  • 29-01-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm not sure whether or not i'm in the correct forum or not. Please feel free to move.. I was quite annoyed today. I rang up a company for a quote,well actually to get them to come out and measure up for a job. They told me to call back with measurements. I wasn't too pleased about this because the other companies i'd called had no problem coming out to do this. Called in with the numbers. The person on other end asked what other companies had quoted me. Wouldn tell her because i believe this defeats the purpose. Anyways,lady refused to give me quote. Took exception to not telling her what competators were quoting. Now wouldn't want anything from this company now but is this the usual way companies give you quotes,to get others to do the work and then swoop in with a lower price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I wouldn't tell them anything, it's up to them to come up with their own price. Some companies do ask as its a good way of sussing out the market but it should never be a precondition to getting a quote. I can't see them staying in business much longer with that attitude, they've already lost a potential customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

sounds like this company are a right bunch of clowns. it's pointless them asking you what other quotes you got in - they will probably under quote anything you tell them to get the job then lie to you about why they ended up going over budget when the job is done.

i would tell them you have a few quotes so they give you their best possible price. but i wouldnt mention mention any numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Simple solution, take the lowest quote you got from their competitors and divide it in two, then tell them that amount.

If they go lower then they are definitely cowbows.

If they quote that low compared to the rest of the industry then they are either chancing, or hoping you will take their quote and then hike it up after the job is started.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I must remember some of those tips. Its actually sort of happened with a kitchen price before too,but i wouldn't tell them either. Why should one company do all the donkey work for anothe to sit on their asses n reap the benefits. Definitaly going to use the lowest number cut in half. Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Having on both ends of the conversation, I understand both sides. As a general rule, when I was quoting for work I generally tried to to get the information about what other people had quoted. This was mainly to suss out the competition to see if the quote was in the ballpark. On the other side of the coin, when I was getting work done, I was often asked what other people had quoted to do the work.

My suggestion to you is as follows:
    Get the lowest quote from those who will quote.
    Ring back the people who would not quote, and give them a price that is 10 - 15% lower than the lowest price, and see can they match it.
    Repeat this process until you have reached a price you are happy with, with a quoter that you fell can do the work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement