Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the deal with the "slow lane" outside Molly Fultons?

Options
  • 29-01-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Heading into the town, there is a small section of a slow lane. The majority of drivers drive in the right lane, some slow drivers occasionally pull into the slow lane to let you pass and sometimes you get a tool driving in both lanes.
    I see that the driving school's cars drive in the left lane.

Which lane are you supposed to drive in? There doesn't seem to be any signs at all around the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That's left behind from when that bit was the main N4 road ...just ignore it as it is now the on and off ramp for the patrons of Molly Fulton's (who have a habit of pulling in and out the premises without indicating).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

What about the one on the N17 a few miles on the Collooney side of Ballinacarrow? It gets ignored by 99% of drivers, its very frustrating when you're stuck behind a car going 50 - 60kmh and there is a lane built especially for their type of driving but they refuse to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

The one on the N17 is badly designed, it funnels cars into the overtaking lane rather then the regular lane, so unobservant (and usually slow) drivers just tip along in the wrong lane pissing off everybody who's been stuck behind them for the last 10km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

IMO the problem in this country is in your question, if the lanes had a sign with overtaking on the right hand lane then people would use them properly.
    Instead we have a lane called the slow lane which nobody will ever use and if you do go into it the person behind will go to any length to pass you out even if it means boxing you in and making you break hard to let them pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

bennyc wrote: »
    IMO the problem in this country is in your question, if the lanes had a sign with overtaking on the right hand lane then people would use them properly.
    Instead we have a lane called the slow lane which nobody will ever use and if you do go into it the person behind will go to any length to pass you out even if it means boxing you in and making you break hard to let them pass.

Exactly. Another excellent decision by our fearless leaders in this godforsaken town (erm... I mean city, yeah)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

Heading into the town, there is a small section of a slow lane. The majority of drivers drive in the right lane, some slow drivers occasionally pull into the slow lane to let you pass and sometimes you get a tool driving in both lanes.
    I see that the driving school's cars drive in the left lane.

Which lane are you supposed to drive in? There doesn't seem to be any signs at all around the area.

Actually, if you look at the lane, it's not actually a slow lane at all anymore. When this was the N4 it was a slow lane, but those road markings are now gone. The correct driving position (according to my advanced driving instructor 6 months ago) is in the left hand lane, and the outer lane is an overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The.Q wrote: »
    Actually, if you look at the lane, it's not actually a slow lane at all anymore. When this was the N4 it was a slow lane, but those road markings are now gone. The correct driving position (according to my advanced driving instructor 6 months ago) is in the left hand lane, and the outer lane is an overtaking lane.

Thus making it a slow lane perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

Thus making it a slow lane perhaps?
    No, not exactly. One would only normally enter a slow lane if you were travlling at a slower than usual speed, and those travellng at normal speed would then take the right lane. For example, a slow-moving tractor would be expected to take the slow lane, while a car travelling at just under the speed limit wouldn't. Think, for instance, of the slow lane when travelling North on the N17 as you approach the Ballymote (R295) exit. if you're in a vehicle which can only travel at say 50kph, then you would enter this slow lane, but otherwise your normal driving positin is in the right-hand lane.

An overtaking lane, however, allows those who wish to overtake to do so, but as soon as you've done so, you should safely move into the inner (left-hand) lane again. This is similar to how you should behave when driving on a dual carriage way or motorway, or on a 2+1 road, i.e., normally travel in the left-hand lane, but use the outer lane only for overtaking.

It may seem like semantics, but they are different road lanes, and should be used (IMHO) in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Well if in doubt (like so many be the looks of it) drive up the middle of the two!

Me, no doubts, stay right and pass by anyone coming out of Mollys, unless theres already someone doing less than the 80k limit, in which case, I chill and stay behind them until I get to the roundabout.

Advertisement