Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Test is in 14 days... haven't had a lesson in 10 years. Can I pass?

• 29-01-2010 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hello

I hope I can get some advice on this.

I had a couple of driving lessons about 10 years ago. Driving came fairly naturally to me (I have very good eye hand coardination).

I have a test (in Rathgar) in two weeks. I don't know the rules of the road nor do I know how to change a car's oil or anything like that.

If I do perhaps 10 - 14 lessons over the next 2 weeks, do I have a reasonable chance of passing?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

how did you past the theory part of the test if you dont know the rules of the road?

Anything is possible, you can use clutch accelerator eh. If you just devote a LOT of time to it and get some good lessons yeah its very doable..

If you have bad habits then you may be screwed.

Put your heart and soul into it and practice the route as much as possible in the evening when you aren't getting lessons. Your instructor will show you the route.

Practice the things in the evening that he warned you about, i was useless for looking right approaching a roundabout in plenty time to make sure nothing was coming in the distance.

your obviously not a boy racer young fella so your maturity will help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can you pass? Yes you can.

You should get lessons asap, and drive exactly the way you are taught, as i would imagine bad habits have crept into your driving over the years. That's the only advice i can give really. Don't go in expecting to fail, just give it your best shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

Thanks for the replies.

I should have mentioned I haven't driven in 10 years!

So I really am a beginner. I also don't have a car.

@Diabhal_Glas: I didn't have to do the driver theory test as I got my first provisional license 12 years ago or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Thanks for the replies.

I should have mentioned I haven't driven in 10 years!

So I really am a beginner. I also don't have a car.

@Diabhal_Glas: I didn't have to do the driver theory test as I got my first provisional license 12 years ago or something like that.

You will have to sit the theory test to get a new learner permit, they are only valid for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

Hi OP

If you look at these www.drivingtesttips.ie/Irish-Driving-Test-Video-Tutorials.php you will get a better idea.

Having the information is a great start and any driving instructor would be very happy to see that you have a very good idea of what to do.

Then the instructor can work on you driving, bad habits or lack of experiences. Get in contact with a driving instructor and do your 14 lessons and use the site to support the instructors teaching.

I hope DrivingTestTips helps you as this is why I built the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I didn't have to do the driver theory test as I got my first provisional license 12 years ago or something like that.

Do you have a valid learner permit now?
    You'll definitely have to do the theory test again unless there's something I'm missing. I got my first license around 12 years ago also but that makes no difference. After passing the theory test you will recieve a new learner permit. You will not be allowed to do a test or even take lessons without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

Yes I have a valid license at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Then I think you should go for it. Do as many lessons as you can, your instructor will help you with things like changing the oil etc and if it doesn't work out on the day then at least the test will be experience for you.
    I would read up on the Rules of the Road too. Good luck:)

I'm confused, if you don't know the rules of the road and didn't do a theory test then how do you have a valid license? I'm not being smart but have you checked the date on it? They are only valid for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Magenta wrote: »
    I'm confused, if you don't know the rules of the road and didn't do a theory test then how do you have a valid license? I'm not being smart but have you checked the date on it? They are only valid for 2 years.

Theory tests were only introduced in 2001.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

Dont panic about under bonnet checks! You don't need to know how to change the oil at all!!! Just how to dip the oil and he may ask if it's low what do you do!

Answer remove oil filler cap and top it up to correct level on dip stick!

An instructor will have you an expert in less than 5 minutes on the under bonnet checks and the tester will spend less than a minute on them anyway!! Concentrate on brushing up the driving and RoTR and dont worry you'll be fine :)

Although this video is for the UK test the basics are just the same click HERE to view, I just had a quick glance and didn't see a power steering fluid check if you have power steering you may be asked that also it's almost identical to the brake fluid check only make sure you know the power steering fluid reservoir from the brake fluid reservoir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Magenta wrote: »
    It is possible that the OP has a valid Learner Permit and has obtained it in a valid fashion without having to have done a Theory Test.

Here's how it may be done (this is entirely speculative).

Bear in mind that the OP has stated that he/she hasn't driven in 10 years and therefore would not be required to have had a valid permit until now and also bear in mind that a Learner Permit may be allowed to lapse by up to 5 years before going back to scratch.

The OP stated that they got their first licence "about 12 years ago". Lets say the OP obtained a 1st Learner Permit on 31/1/1998 and it was vaild until 30/1/2000.

Just before 30/1/2005 the OP applies for another (within 5 year rule) and gets a 2nd Learner Permit valid from 31/1/2005 to 30/1/2007.

A couple of weeks ago, amd within the 5 year rule, the OP could have applied for a 3rd Learner Permit (valid for one year only without having shown evidence of having done or applied for a driving test).

As the OP had their original Learner Permit before the introduction of the Theory Test, and is still using successive Permits based on that one, they are under no obligation to do a Theory Test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

id honestly say you have better chance of passing then someone already on the road as you wont have any bad habits.

first off get used to your clutch so maybe go up and down your driveway just to get a feel for it. then maybe at night depending on where you live maybe do a couple of laps around your estate going through the gears. this helped me alot and i passed first time with only 3-4 months driving experience

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP - Please post back here and let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

It is possible that the OP has a valid Learner Permit and has obtained it in a valid fashion without having to have done a Theory Test.

Here's how it may be done (this is entirely speculative).

Bear in mind that the OP has stated that he/she hasn't driven in 10 years and therefore would not be required to have had a valid permit until now and also bear in mind that a Learner Permit may be allowed to lapse by up to 5 years before going back to scratch.

The OP stated that they got their first licence "about 12 years ago". Lets say the OP obtained a 1st Learner Permit on 31/1/1998 and it was vaild until 30/1/2000.

Just before 30/1/2005 the OP applies for another (within 5 year rule) and gets a 2nd Learner Permit valid from 31/1/2005 to 30/1/2007.

A couple of weeks ago, amd within the 5 year rule, the OP could have applied for a 3rd Learner Permit (valid for one year only without having shown evidence of having done or applied for a driving test).

As the OP had their original Learner Permit before the introduction of the Theory Test, and is still using successive Permits based on that one, they are under no obligation to do a Theory Test.

Aah. Right so Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ADI35574

Hey there.. You certainly can pass your test ! I recommend you get lessons ASAP ! Make sure they are with a fully qualified RSA instructor and not somebody who is chancing his/her arm at it ! Lots still out there. Listen carefully to what your instructor tells you and try to put it into practice every time you get behind the wheel. Stay in touch and let us know how you get on.. I would highly recommend Drivingtesttips.ie for help too... Good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ADI34722

Hello

I hope I can get some advice on this.

I had a couple of driving lessons about 10 years ago. Driving came fairly naturally to me (I have very good eye hand coardination).

I have a test (in Rathgar) in two weeks. I don't know the rules of the road nor do I know how to change a car's oil or anything like that.

If I do perhaps 10 - 14 lessons over the next 2 weeks, do I have a reasonable chance of passing?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Just to play devils advocate here but would you consider a second option. You havent drove a car in 10 years. Your planning on doing 10-14 lessons. Post-pone your test by another 2 weeks. Give yourself more time to practice. Will you have a car to practice in. Family member or partner. Rather than running the risk of not passing due to a lack of experince. Consider all options to you. You can change the date of your test up to 7 working days before. Its a lot of money.

Advertisement