Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lifesavers, doing exactly what it says on the tin.

• 29-01-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

I thought I would start a thread on this. I was on the M50 going to work the other, changing lane, so usual procudure, I had moved past a few cars and to the best of my knowledge the was a large empty space in the next lane, checked mirrors again, started to indicated and started to move towards the edge of my lane, just getting ready to move the next few feet, done a lifesaver, I would have moved straight into a transit. Don't where it came out of.

It got me thinking on how many times that quick and easy glance has saved me from serious injury or death over the years. I often find that I'm prone to doing that as a passenger in a car, when the driver is changing lanes, it that much of a habit, but one that has allowed me to be here starting this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I do it too when I'm the passenger in a car. Habit, but a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Dorsanty wrote: »

I've gotten to the point where I don't feel safe as a passenger in a car. In my experience, most car drivers are too distracted talking/listening to the radio etc and don't really pay attention to what is around them.

Lifesaver glances are subconscious for me now after 10 years of biking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

cage talk:eek:

But I know what your saying i do the same thing and it a must on the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

yeah, couple of months back I did one that picked up a dumper truck ready to mash me had I pulled out - mirrors didn't pick it up and he was doing about 20mph more than me at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

reece wrote: »
    yeah, couple of months back I did one that picked up a dumper truck ready to mash me had I pulled out - mirrors didn't pick it up and he was doing about 20mph more than me at the time

It rare that another car, van, etc isn't on my radar when I'm moving; but every now and then you get one of those cases where you think fcuk, if I had'nt had that quick glance. As noted above it's not something I even think about now, I just do it on a unconscious level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

yogidc26 wrote: »
    cage talk:eek:
    Wrong forum :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Wrong forum :P

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Lifesavers are just that ;)
    Dorsanty wrote: »

Me too, I'm a terrible passenger - hate not being in control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Remember being told that you should always use your mirrors as in doing so could save your life. Then told that you should always do a lifesaver as mirrors are lying b**tards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

My routine for changing lanes is:

mirror, lifesaver,indicator,other mirror,mirror,lifesaver, change lane.

probably over the top, but I like to know whats going on all around me before I change lane.

Especially as there a few ropy lads on bikes who use the gap between the overtaking lane outer line and the barrier of the m50 as an additional overtaking lane and will often cut back in unexpectedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

hobochris wrote: »
    My routine for changing lanes is:

mirror, lifesaver,indicator,other mirror,mirror,lifesaver, change lane.

probably over the top, but I like to know whats going on all around me before I change lane.

Especially as there a few ropy lads on bikes who use the gap between the overtaking lane outer line and the barrier of the m50 as an additional overtaking lane and will often cut back in unexpectedly.

Saw one of these a few weeks back, couldn't understand how someone could be that stupid to use that bit of tarmac to filter :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

I was driving on the M50 towards Ballymount just before xmas. It's my opinion that lifesavers are 100x more important on a motorway than on a normal road, as on a normal road you are used to being faster than pretty much anything else. Not so on a motorway.

I was changing lanes. Four lanes wide. From left to right. Each time I changed, I did the usual procedure to move into the next. Whatever happened as I went into the fourth lane, I nearly died. I was doing about 130kph, Checked mirror, looked over shoulder, checked mirror (had headphones on) nothing. Clear. In the two seconds it took me to check and move, my right pannier was about three inches from hitting a car on my right as I swung in. He must have been going so fast that in the time from when I checked, he had flew up.

I've had countless near misses, but that was the closest I came to serious f**ked up messed up meat grind. Seriously.

A lesson though. Whatever your know, you always learn. Now, even when I'm sure it's clear, I check again.

Live and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

I was driving on the M50 towards Ballymount just before xmas. It's my opinion that lifesavers are 100x more important on a motorway than on a normal road, as on a normal road you are used to being faster than pretty much anything else. Not so on a motorway.

I was changing lanes. Four lanes wide. From left to right. Each time I changed, I did the usual procedure to move into the next. Whatever happened as I went into the fourth lane, I nearly died. I was doing about 130kph, Checked mirror, looked over shoulder, checked mirror (had headphones on) nothing. Clear. In the two seconds it took me to check and move, my right pannier was about three inches from hitting a car on my right as I swung in. He must have been going so fast that in the time from when I checked, he had flew up.

I've had countless near misses, but that was the closest I came to serious f**ked up messed up meat grind. Seriously.

A lesson though. Whatever your know, you always learn. Now, even when I'm sure it's clear, I check again.

Live and learn.

Well said my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Live and learn.

Just curious...is that stretch not still a 100kph limit..?

At that speed you covered over 200ft in the 2 secs you were checking everything out..that would give you f all chance to cop anything happening directly in front of you ....lucky man indeed...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

Hi all,
    Lifesaver is ingrained from years on a bike, i do it all the time without thinking, even when in the van... and it has saved me from mashing idiots who speed up on the inside when changing back in...WHY DO THEY DO THAT???? Passed my bike test (again) Monday gone, so am back in the world of two wheels, Agree with all who said Motorways are Lethal. Wife is from west Cork, Trundled down the old road last Autumn, was the only one on it, Great spin, Amazing to see how quickly the towns resort to villages. . Thats progress!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Just curious...is that stretch not still a 100kph limit..?

At that speed you covered over 200ft in the 2 secs you were checking everything out..that would give you f all chance to cop anything happening directly in front of you ....lucky man indeed...;)

Maybe it's the way I'm picking that statement up but to me it sounds like you are making a case against doing a lifesaver at that speed.
    In my opinion you are 99% certain of what is going on in front of you and 50% what is going on behind.A quick glance over brings that % up a bit.And while the Roadcraft book asks you at what point do you feel the information gleened from a lifesaver negates the danger your forward motion puts you in,a motorway is a different kettle of fish.Any sort of a nutter in a clapped out opel corsa to a porsche can travel above the speed limit at their discretion and not be in any percieved danger from oncoming traffic.And that to me is why a motorway is more dangerous than a single carriage way.:)

Maybe it's the way I'm picking that statement up but to me it sounds like you are making a case against doing a lifesaver at that speed.
    .:)

Absolutely wrong there my friend.... have been doing it for over 30yrs .....since when it was just called " a quick glance"..;)

The op said he was travelling at 130kph...hence my calculations..in that 2secs he was checking behind him a car in front might have braked,changed lane too or other....2secs is a long time not to be looking in front of you even in a car travelling at that speed..next time you're on your bike behind a car at speed ,close your eyes and count to two...:eek:...imo the quick glance should be sufficient ..mirrors are just to see if theyre's a cop car behind you...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

It was just the way I picked it up and I apologise.:o

And I dont think I'll be participating in that little experiment either,thats for young people with no wife and kids :D

It was just the way I picked it up and I apologise.:o

And I dont think I'll be participating in that little experiment either,thats for young people with no wife and kids :D

No apology needed..we're all buddies here...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Haven't been on the bike much in the last couple of years but it's something I always use in the car too.

It never ceases to amaze me how many cars change lane on the m50 without checking their blind spots TBH I don't think some of them even use their mirrors.

• Advertisement

TBH i think cars are too safe these days..if you know what i mean...different forum me thinks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Kazujo wrote: »
    Haven't been on the bike much in the last couple of years but it's something I always use in the car too.

It never ceases to amaze me how many cars change lane on the m50 without checking their blind spots TBH I don't think some of them even use their mirrors.

Cars have mirrors???? :eek:

You wouldn't think it the way they are driven!

Cars have mirrors???? :eek:QUOTE]

Make-up mirrors, silly.......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It`s interesting to see just how often the M50 is cropping up here.

I believe that the situation has worsened considerably since the wprks-restrictions ended and the full 3 lane "Urban Motorway" opened up before our amazed gaze.

It`s a wonderful improvement in Road terms BUT it has really underlined the vast yawning chasm of inability to drive and ride safely in a huge sector of our road users.

The relative closeness of the on/off ramps to the various locations are causing terrible problems,all arising from users being reluctant to follow the first rule of the road....."In Ireland we drive ON THE LEFT".

ANY biker travelling along the M50 now must regard each junction as aplace of extreme hazard potential and act accordingly.

The on/off ramps are largely regarded as Stages,where a varie4ty of proffessional actors can stage motorized tragi-comedies and perform acrobatic tricks in complete isolation from the reality that several thousand OTHER road users are sharing that stage with them !

Hard left lock from the extreme outer lane to cross up to 4 lanes in order to take a slip at the last moment.
    Total adherence to the middle lane,we ride/drive as we vote..Middle of the Road..and above all NEVER signal and tell others your business.....

The biggest single failing IMO was the decision to remove ALL of the restrictions overnight and see how it went,with no added Garda or RSA observation or enforcement...That is going to result in a multiple RTA with fatalities VERY soon...I just pray it won`t be ME :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I can cope with most of the crap on the M50..But for anyone that has come off at the redcow "sphincter-change" southbound needing to get to clondalkin i congradulate you for your bravery...it's unbelievable that theres not at least a couple of accidents there everyday.....for people that dont know this junction...you come off the M50 southbound down a tunnel affair and back up onto the naas rd, there you have to cross over at least two lanes of fast moving traffic to get to the turn off ..all in the space of less than 100 yards.......frightening..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It`s interesting to see just how often the M50 is cropping up here.

The biggest single failing IMO was the decision to remove ALL of the restrictions overnight and see how it went,with no added Garda or RSA observation or enforcement...That is going to result in a multiple RTA with fatalities VERY soon...I just pray it won`t be ME :eek:

When did this happen ? I always understood that rules/restrictions of any road is 24/7 ....have they removed restrictions for the M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The biggest single failing IMO was the decision to remove ALL of the restrictions overnight

I`m referring to the 60KPH Special Speed limit zones and the associated lane restrictions which were removed from a large portion of the M50 Last week.
    This allowed the road to instantly alter from a lane and speed restricted works state to a full head-on Motorway which many quite obviously find to be a challenge in terms of placement,speed and manouvering... ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I can cope with most of the crap on the M50..But for anyone that has come off at the redcow "sphincter-change" southbound needing to get to clondalkin i congradulate you for your bravery...it's unbelievable that theres not at least a couple of accidents there everyday.....for people that dont know this junction...you come off the M50 southbound down a tunnel affair and back up onto the naas rd, there you have to cross over at least two lanes of fast moving traffic to get to the turn off ..all in the space of less than 100 yards.......frightening..:eek:

I use that exit a fair bit, it's great craic :D:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9uLsMq7mBE

Whats the opinions on this,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

thetyreman wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9uLsMq7mBE

Whats the opinions on this,,,

i would like to try that out actualy,,i encounter situations like that a lot where its more dangerous to take me eyes off the road to check me mirrors because of some erratic brake pusher in front,,it can be testing to say the least but if that helmet works as good as it shows in that advertisment,,there definately onto someting good as you need all the help you can get at times

Advertisement