Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homosexuality: What do you think?

Options
  • 29-01-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

It's a term we teenagers throw around a lot these days without even thinking what we are actually saying. "Oh! He's gay!", "That's so gay", "What a faggot!", etc.

But what do you think about it?

I don't have a problem with homosexuals. I find it a bit weird but I don't have an actual problem with them. It's just something I noticed recently in school (and here as well). You hear people calling others gay without thinking what it means, but what if there is a homosexual being shouted at? With depression being such a problem for our age group, what is someone expected to do in this type of situation? This cannot be good for their mental health/self esteem/etc. How could they ever be expected "to come out of the closet" or express themselves if homosexuals are looked upon so scornfully?

Apparently one in 30 is "gay" so this cannot be such an uncommon occurence. There are probably 30 users of this forum so mathematically, at least one of us should be a homosexual.

So what do ye all think? Do ye have any problems with homosexuals? What are your opinions on homosexuality? Why is it, do you think, that two females together is seen as alright and even attractive by many whereas two men is seen as just wrong by many people?

I have added a secret poll, one where only percentages will be given (a mod may wish to check I did this right), no names so feel free to answer it truthfully.

BTW, I'm not gay.

What is your sexual orientation? 148 votes

Hetrosexual
    0% 0 votes
    Homosexual
    75% 112 votes
    Bisexual
    12% 18 votes
    Bi-curious
    12% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Can I be completely honest? I really, honestly, don't mean to offend anyone; but I do find it.. weird, for want of a better word.

I think it might just be because I've been raised in quite a sheltered, middle-class Catholic family - the word 'gay's almost a curse word.

So it's probably a fear of the unknown, more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

i dont care what people r into??? meh.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

i dont care what people r into??? meh.:D
    Thats a pretty cool viewpoint. Totally free minded. Wish I was like that but as I said, I find it a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I know a fair few people who are gay but I don't treat them any differenty. Whatever you're into and all.

I have been thinking about the whole 'That's so gay' insult for awhile now. 90% of its use is not intended to abuse gay people... it's more habit I think. It's thrown around casually but I really think it shouldn't be used so lightly. I'm guilty myself but am making an effort to wean it out of my vocabulary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 knwaca

Only know one guy who I know is gay, but he is the pure stereotype, perfect hair, style you wouldn't believe, very camp and a total gentleman, we get on well but are only aqunitances. Have never seen him with a guy, but I'm guessing I would feel mighty uncomfotable.

The whole fake 'lesiban' thing hit our town last year, were the majority of (straight) girls would shift/score each other when drunk or just for the craic now that was weird!

• Advertisement

Hotaru wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I know a fair few people who are gay but I don't treat them any differenty. Whatever you're into and all.

I have been thinking about the whole 'That's so gay' insult for awhile now. 90% of its use is not intended to abuse gay people... it's more habit I think. It's thrown around casually but I really think it shouldn't be used so lightly. I'm guilty myself but am making an effort to wean it out of my vocabulary.

That's the reason I started this thread. The casually thrown around insult.

knwaca wrote: »
    Only know one guy who I know is gay, but he is the pure stereotype, perfect hair, style you wouldn't believe, very camp and a total gentleman, we get on well but are only aqunitances. Have never seen him with a guy, but I'm guessing I would feel mighty uncomfotable.

The whole fake 'lesbian' thing hit our town last year, were the majority of (straight) girls would shift/score each other when drunk or just for the craic now that was weird!

That's fairly common... girls getting off with other girls in order to impress or 'turn on' guys. Notice how it's never the other way around...?:rolleyes:

There seems to be alot more genuinely gay guys around than genuinely gay girls though.

Jackobyte wrote: »

I think this is a fear alot of gay people have before 'coming out'. They fear that hetero guys/girls may be uncomfortable around them because they think they'll be a potential (unrequited) love interest. Think about it though - if you're straight, do you want to get off with every person of the opposite sex you meet? No. And homosexual people are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Think about it though - if you're straight, do you want to get off with every person of the opposite sex you meet? No.

That's a pretty wild assumption, do you have any proof of this?

I think this is a fear alot of gay people have before 'coming out'. They fear that hetero guys/girls may be uncomfortable around them because they think they'll be a potential (unrequited) love interest. Think about it though - if you're straight, do you want to get off with every person of the opposite sex you meet? No. And homosexual people are the same.
    I suppose you're right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have quite a few gay friends, and who they decide to sleep with/kiss is their business, just like it's the business of my straight friends who they decide to sleep with/kiss.

It's not my thing, but whatever. As long as they're happy, I'm happy.

Pygmalion wrote: »

Oh come on, there's no way it can't be true.
    Being attracted to every member of the opposite sex would make for a bloody exhausting existence... :eek:

Oh come on, there's no way it can't be true.
    Being attracted to every member of the opposite sex would make for a bloody exhausting existence... :eek:

Ok, every member of the opposite sex who isn't obese or hideous looking (in particular being bright orange counts as being hideous looking).

Since this is C&H and everyone here is obviously thin and attractive it's quite likely that he will have the problem of men (and women) giving him unwanted attention for the rest of his life.

tbh i think im bi!!!! which is what i voted i hope i don't get abused or slaged for it but thats me sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Seeing as (I think) only the OP and mods can see who voted on the poll, I cant see any one really figuring out who voted for what.

I like guys, I like girls, it's kinda simple, it's not exactly something I particularly dwell on anymore. That said, there is one girl in particular I really rather like, there is often an association with homosexuality and promiscuity, which I dont think is entirely true. I kinda dig that whole monogamy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what kind of person your friend is but in fairness I don't think not openly eyeballing girls is any real sign of homosexuality.

When I was in school I never felt comfortable talking about what girls I was looking at and what not. I especially avoided gawking at them because they saw me doing it every God damn time. :o

Always felt a bit suspicious of the lads who called every girl they saw a ride. Almost as if they couldn't tell. :pac:

Don't think I know anybody that's gay (as far as I know). I don't really care what people get up to, it's their business who they shag. However I don't see myself being all that tolerant when it comes to flaunting it. It's great that they can be comfortable with themselves but I find that sort of shíte really gets on my nerves. Keep it to yourself would my way of thinking.

Fad wrote: »
    Seeing as (I think) only the OP and mods can see who voted on the poll, I cant see any one really figuring out who voted for what.

I like guys, I like girls, it's kinda simple, it's not exactly something I particularly dwell on anymore. That said, there is one girl in particular I really rather like, there is often an association with homosexuality and promiscuity, which I dont think is entirely true. I kinda dig that whole monogamy thing.

wow thanks theres someone like me on this i feel happy now!! :D

Fad wrote: »

Not even I can see who voted what??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm probably going to seem amazingly ignorant here; but what's the difference between bisexual or bicurious? :confused:

Davidius wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what kind of person your friend is but in fairness I don't think not openly eyeballing girls is any real sign of homosexuality.

When I was in school I never felt comfortable talking about what girls I was looking at and what not. I especially avoided gawking at them because they saw me doing it every God damn time. :o

Always felt a bit suspicious of the lads who called every girl they saw a ride. Almost as if they couldn't tell. :pac:

Don't think I know anybody that I'm aware is gay. I don't really care what people get up to, it's their business who they shag. However I don't see myself being all that tolerant when it comes to flaunting it. It's great that they can be comfortable with themselves but I find that sort of shíte really gets on my nerves. Keep it to yourself would my way of thinking.

I was pretty much the same. Except with reversed genders.

I have a cousin who is in her late 20s now. Although attractive, funny and caring she never had a serious boyfriend up till about 3 years ago. It used to annoy me so much when other family members would whisper behind her back, spreading rumours that she had to be a lesbian simply because she didn't have a man in her life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

I can tell u mate im gay, im not a stereotype and i certainly dont fancy every guy i see lol
    a bit of a twatish statment imo

Davidius wrote: »
    When I was in school I never felt comfortable talking about what girls I was looking at and what not.
    No-one in my "group" really did that, never quite got it tbh.
    There were perhaps 2 girls they (rarely) talked about like that, but it was usually a passing thing. If it was something that happened regularly I'd consider it pretty weird

And one of those girls was only mentioned because the quiet one in our group once got drunk and admitted that not only did he love her, but he also wanted to **** her in a very uncomfortable place (not the back of a Volkswagen). So that makes it ok, since we were taking the piss out of him.
    Don't think I know anybody that I'm aware is gay.

In my head I swapped around the "I'm" and "is" in that sentence and it completely changed the context of everything you said above it.

Nebit wrote: »
    I can tell u mate im gay, im not a stereotype and i certainly dont fancy every guy i see lol
    a bit of a twatish statment imo

Was a joke, sorry if it came across as twattish.
    I actually meant straight guys fancy every girl they see (Because it's not discrimination if it's against your own group, so I figured I could get away with it :P)

brummytom wrote: »
    I'm probably going to seem amazingly ignorant here; but what's the difference between bisexual or bicurious? :confused:
    Bisexual-likes both genders
    Bicurious-doesn't know what they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

Was a joke, sorry if it came across as twattish.
    I actually meant straight guys fancy every girl they see (Because it's not discrimination if it's against your own group, so I figured I could get away with it :P)

lol dont worry didn take it that seriously :P
    but i have had stupid comments like that and why im on a sports team etc really annoying stereotype **** like

brummytom wrote: »

Sorry if I'm offending anyone (and completely wrong), but bi-curious seems (IMO) to be "I haven't got a clue what I want, so I'll try both".
    I imagine it's mainly bi-sexuals who aren't sure yet, or straight people who see a REALLY attractive member of the same sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I have no problem whatsoever, my general motto is each to their own.
    Although one of my cousins is gay, so I've been brought up with it being completely accepted in my family. It might have been different if my family were over religious or something. I don't see why people's personal choices should be anyone else's business, unless of course they are harming themselves or someone else.

Having gone to an all girls secondary school, for some reason I'd say about half my year, there was 150 of us, got very into the whole drunken lesbian thing. I think there are maybe two or three who genuinely are, but for some reason it became a fad and most people decided to do it because it was the "cool" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

I'm straight, and I honestly don't see the problem with people who are gay. We should all just accept tht people are different. I've a few friends who are fairly anti-gay and one lad in my year is militantly anti homosexuals then again he is ultra catholic so they kinda go hand-in-hand. PDAs are cringe inducing regardless of weather its boy-girl boy-boy or girl-girl. If you aren't hurting anyone else or yourself do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'm straight, and I honestly don't see the problem with people who are gay. We should all just accept tht people are different. I've a few friends who are fairly anti-gay and one lad in my year is militantly anti homosexuals then again he is ultra catholic so they kinda go hand-in-hand. PDAs are cringe inducing regardless of weather its boy-girl boy-boy or girl-girl. If you aren't hurting anyone else or yourself do what you want.

Thing is, they dont.

The church has no problem with homosexuals, the church has a problem with homosexuals having sex. I think the official line is something along the lines of being a homosexual isnt in itself sinful, but the "Act" of homosexuality is sinful.......something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Black, white, Gay, Straight, .... I know a lot of Honest down to earth salt of the earth gay men. It does not matter, most important is that you are true to yourself and others.

Advertisement