Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homosexuality: What do you think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

well that's harsh like. But if it's your opinion...

And sock puppet, i don't mean to sound like a smartass but what?

I mean on what basis do you think it's better for a child to have a mother and father? I was raised by a single parent and I don't think it adversely affected me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Fad wrote: »
    I reported it, stating you think it's wrong is fine, even stating you think its unnatural is grand, but stating that it is wrong and is unnatural shouldnt really be allowed.....

+1 fad also i just started folling u on twitter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

me smells a troll

You might smell a bumhole, but there's no trolling going on here. The OP asked, thats my opinion. Tbh it makes me sick when people's opinions are dissed. If I dissed a gay person's opinion,whether or not I agree with their sexuality, I'd be banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

me smells a troll

or someone that just finds homosexuality unnatural. It may not be everyones cuppa tea or what they want to hear but 'amazingly', there are people out there that feel uncomfortable with it. If everyone had the same opinion, the world would be a boring place. I don't agree with his/her opinions but i'm accepting what he/she thinks.

You might smell a bumhole, but there's no trolling going on here. The OP asked, thats my opinion. Tbh it makes me sick when people's opinions are dissed. If I dissed a gay person's opinion,whether or not I agree with their sexuality, I'd be banned!

fuck u :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lads and ladies,

If you find an issue with a post, please report it. Don't de-rail the thread by talking about trolling/reporting in it. Back-seat modding is against the charter too ;)
    People are free to express their own opinions, (even controversial ones) so long as they make an effort to express their reasoning for feeling that way.

I mean on what basis do you think it's better for a child to have a mother and father? I was raised by a single parent and I don't think it adversely affected me.

i was talking about same sex. And comparing to that of a different sex couple. Well i know that both a same sex couple could serve the needs of its kids but if i had 2 dads for example, i dunno if i could confide in them what i could with a mom. Y'know like. Some people arent open about certain situations. That's just one example.

And i never said that having only one parent was bad :confused:

Well you have just "dissed" gay people and you haven't been banned, so why don't you drop the persecution complex.

i was talking about same sex. And comparing to that of a different sex couple. Well i know that both a same sex couple could serve the needs of its kids but if i had 2 dads for example, i dunno if i could confide in them what i could with a mom. Y'know like. Some people arent open about certain situations. That's just one example.

And i never said that having only one parent was bad :confused:

I know you didn't but the situation is comparable. I was rasied by one woman. I don't see how another woman would have made my upbringing worse. Granted I do see my dad regularly but the only male influence in the household was my older brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Hetero majority? Boooring
    The statistics reminds of me of one of my modules with all the rejection regions and probablity and what not.

I did notice there's no option for 'asexual'. Sure it's uncommon but there are people out there who just have no interest in sex at all. Might be interesting to see how many frequent here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Well you have just "dissed" gay people and you haven't been banned, so why don't you drop the persecution complex.

No I havent. I just said I think its grossly wrong and against nature.

fuck u :mad:

Now this ^^^^ is what you call dissing gay people. I realise now my previous post could have been viewed as a bit double-meaning, but it wasn't meant to be. I think there might be a touch of homophobia there!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Now this ^^^^ is what you call dissing gay people. I realise now my previous post could have been viewed as a bit double-meaning, but it wasn't meant to be. I think there might be a touch of homophobia there!!!

Grow up, or get out. I've already given one warning in this thread, if I have to give another one there'll be bans handed out. This is a controversial enough topic without people making it personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

Homosexuality is wrong. Its unnatural.

actually if you look at the past, history would seem to disprove that homosexuality is unnatural, for example in ancient rome and greece, it was perfectly normal to see a man with another man.

It has really only been the coming of monotheism that homosexuality began to be frowned upon, this again if you look at history makes sense, monotheism was new and followers needed to have a children to insure the survival and expansion of the religion, therefore sex was made only acceptable for procreation.

This is similar to the banning of pork in some religions as 'unclean' at the time pigs carried diseases which could kill, thereby killing off believers.
    Although you are entitled to your opinion, i suggest you be less crude.

As for Gay adoption Romulus and Remus were brought up by wolves and look what they did!!! they built rome :D:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I like girls. I like guys.
    So I'm bi.
    Not a big deal. Most of my friends know and are fine with it (and if any of them aren't then it's their problem not mine.)

I definitely wouldn't consider myself camp, and people who are ridiculously-over-the-top with campness get on my nerves aswell.

I used also be guilty of using the word "gay" as an insult, but in a secondary school environment the word is basically synonymous with "stupid". Sure, using the word is careless but there was never any homophobic connotations attached to it or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭trout

Homosexuality is wrong. Its unnatural.

me_right_one ... I've seen two posts by you today, and both of them have been offensive. I don't want to see a third one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

+1 on being disappointed with the college LGBT. It was all very stereotypical. I think a lot of the members spent their most of their teenage years feeling repressed, and while college is a place where you can express yourself, some people seem to be overcompensating for the lost years and just seem a bit like caricatures.
    Ironically, other societies in college are more LGBT friendly, in my opinion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Tbh I never understood the whole homosexuality thing and I have to admit I did have a problem with lads kissing on the street and that (Sorry!)
    But one of my very good friends is gay and I think he's class. :D
    But I still say 'that's gay' a lot when talking about something I don't like. He does get a bit thick when I say it but we do laugh it off when I try and back track it.
    People don't decide to be gay...it's just who they are attracted to. You can't really hold it against them. It's the 21st century anyway...they can even have babies now!:)

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    People don't decide to be gay...it's just who they are attracted to. You can't really hold it against them. It's the 21st century anyway...they can even have babies now!:)

no offence the having babies thing is un natural lol and creepy :eek: when my cousin heard of the pregnant man he asked if the man passed the baby through his arse :eek::confused: he's only 8 though lol but still

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I don't have a problem with it, people are who they are and they don't choose to be gay. If I was in that position, I'd want my loved ones to accept me.
    But I'd find it really awkward to be around like two gay lads on a date or whatever...but I'm sure I'd get over it.
    But yeah, let people do what they want with who they want and mind your own business etc. etc

• Advertisement

no offence the having babies thing is un natural lol and creepy :eek: when my cousin heard of the pregnant man he asked if the man passed the baby through his arse :eek::confused: he's only 8 though lol but still

you do know that the pregnant man used to be a woman, right?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Good thread Jacobyte :)

I am heterosexual, but my thoughts on the matter would be very similar to some of you in this thread. I have a few gay friends, and I have no problem with it whatsoever, whatever they're into is fine by me.

I think that people here have a problem with same sex parents is ridiculous, makes no sense that you have it in your head that they would be less effective that different sex parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 don vhalt

I don't discriminate, I hate everyone equally :rolleyes:

being 100% honest, please don't get offended but the thought of homosexuality kind of disgusts me. I am not saying homosexuality is wrong and someone's sexual orientation doesn't change my opinion of them any more then the colour of their hair would. It's just the idea of two guys ****ing makes me feel sick but to each his/her own.

As I was typing this i thought of something, I think homosexuality makes a lot of non-prejudiced people uncomfortable but would the idea of a man and woman having sex seem kind of sick to gays/lesbians?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Homosexuality is for gays!!

But seriously no problems at all have 2 gay friends and i don't even think about it, it never crosses my mind what way they are sexually inclined!

To be honest one of these gays guys is one of best friends and has been since we were about 12 and he's a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

don vhalt wrote: »
    I don't discriminate, I hate everyone equally :rolleyes:

being 100% honest, please don't get offended but the thought of homosexuality kind of disgusts me. I am not saying homosexuality is wrong and someone's sexual orientation doesn't change my opinion of them any more then the colour of their hair would. It's just the idea of two guys ****ing makes me feel sick but to each his/her own.

As I was typing this i thought of something, I think homosexuality makes a lot of non-prejudiced people uncomfortable but would the idea of a man and woman having sex seem kind of sick to gays/lesbians?
    Of the bisexuals here (answer only if ye want), have ye ever had experiences with the same sex or is it just find them attractive?

I find some guys attractive but haven't and wouldn't consider "doing" anything with them. I can appreciate their appearance but that's as far as it would go.

I voted hetro but what would ye consider this "stance". Did I vote right or would ye consider this bisexual/bicurious?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Of the bisexuals here (answer only if ye want), have ye ever had experiences with the same sex or is it just find them attractive?

I find some guys attractive but haven't and wouldn't consider "doing" anything with them. I can appreciate their appearance but that's as far as it would go.

I voted hetro but what would ye consider this "stance". Did I vote right or would ye consider this bisexual/bicurious?

maybe bi curious and i did have a experence but i did not enjoy it coz it was not the right guy lol i prefer older fellas lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I have two gay relations and I am totally fine with it.

I mean if someone is gay they're gay, that's it. If you knew the person before they came out then they are still the same person afterwards. If they didn't make a move on you before, they won't after ;)

Also, I don't have any problem with the word "gay" being used as a slagging word. I personally feel that people become too PC over things like that these days. However, I would have a problem if the word "fag***" was used to insult a gay person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I only sort of figured out the whole sexuality thing recently enough, so no, I havent really done anything with a guy (But a frightening amount of ladies have assumed me to be gay, including two members of this forum! :P In reality I have quite an ambiguous sexuality), then soon after the whole figuring out thing, I started going out with some one, who happens to be of the opposite sex....

I find guys attractive, and if I was single I'd consider it an option, but I'm not! (Oh this doesnt read how I'd like to, but I'm sure you get what I mean)

I'd consider that to be straight, but I really dont think it's overly important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I've had experiences, weird experiences at that but I do find both sexes equally appealing so I can't say I prefer one more than the other

I wouldn't consider you to be bi-curious nor bi-sexual just that your open to appreciating others, there is people who don't feel comfortable admitting that though.

• Advertisement

Right, it's time to start posting some controversial opinions. Also, let me state from the outset that I'm heterosexual.

I don't necessarily have any problems with people who are homosexual, or bisexual, for that matter. I don't like male homosexuality stuck in my face in public places, but that's my own problem, and I'm ok with it; I'm tolerant of it whenever I do see it, and for me, that's all that's important. I'm a pretty liberal person, and I'd consider the rights of homosexuals to be open and free to express themselves--both socially and sexually--to be of paramount importance to a free, modern state. Saying all of that, I do think there's one right they shouldn't possess: the right to adopt a child.

Homosexual couples shouldn't, in my own opinion, be legally allowed to adopt a child, because doing so imposes upon that child a lifestyle that is unnatural, in the biological and evolutionary sense of the word. Homosexuality isn't, when speaking in terms of evolution, natural. Evolution, to give it a voice, dictates that males should reproduce with females. So, using that logic, anything that strays off that prescribed "rule" could, in a purely evolutionary sense, be considered unnatural. That's the key point of my argument. I don't want for that to sound callous, but it's a simple evolutionary principle of paramount importance to the continuation of a species.

Of course, I don't generally agree that evolutionary and biological principles should be used as an excuse to implement or enforce unusual or, in some cases, just plain wrong political positions or laws. I'm not a neo-Darwinist. But, I do think that children should be exposed to a parental relationship that at least follows nature's intended parental design. I'm not sure what the psychological effects of having homosexual parents would be: I haven't researched it. My own instincts tell me that what isn't naturally intended generally isn't as good as what is naturally intended, so that'd give me a reason to object to homosexual couples adopting a child.

I suppose the counter argument is that the sexual orientation of both a child's parents shouldn't matter so long as that child is brought up in a loving and caring environment. It's an equally valid argument as my own, and I suppose in some people's eyes it's probably a more valid argument. I've thought about this issue quite a lot, and I've not yet fully cemented my own position. I've actually debated this before, around a year ago, in Humanities. My argument used the premise that, from a purely--and purely is the key word--evolutionary standpoint, homosexuality could be considered unnatural. Now, I'm not saying it's unnatural in the colloquial sense of the word: I'm not saying homosexuality is immoral or, from a social perspective, wrong. So don't misinterpret me on that.

Blah, writing this has got me thinking about this whole issue again: it's got me reconsidering my own argument. I suppose that's a good thing. Because of that, I'm not going to continue with this line of argument until I've cemented my own opinion: arguing for an opinion you're not sure you hold is a foolish thing to do. I'm going to post this anyway: even though it doesn't represent my own final views on the issue, it may spark another interesting avenue for debate and discussion.

Advertisement