Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Road bike: 49 or 50cm

• 29-01-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Looking for a 49/50cm road bike in the €350-€500 range for my girlfriend (163cm)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I've a Raleigh AirLite 300 that sounds perfect. It's 49cm IIRC, definitely too small for me at 5'11", hence why I'm selling it.

Think I paid €600 or so for it, possibly more. I've kept it in good condition, it still runs very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Hi Diarmuid i have a Giant SCR 4 size M[ as far as i know thats a size 50] for sale its a 2008 model comes with Look Keo pedals, drink cages, pump and mudguards looking for 395 ONO

Im based in West Wickow if your interested

Con

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Think I paid €600 or so for it, possibly more. I've kept it in good condition, it still runs very well.
    Have you got the specs for it? What year did you buy it? This was the only link I could find. Where are you based?
    jag con wrote: »
    Hi Diarmuid i have a Giant SCR 4 size M[ as far as i know thats a size 50] for sale its a 2008 model comes with Look Keo pedals, drink cages, pump and mudguards looking for 395 ONO

Im based in West Wickow if your interested

Con
    Size M in adults? That would probably for someone 5 foot 9 and taller not 5 foot 4, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

According to Giants sizing guide size M is for 5ft 6in to 5ft 11in

Con

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Have you got the specs for it? What year did you buy it? This was the only link I could find. Where are you based?

Got it in 2008, here are the specs:

Braking
    Brake Type - Caliper

Drive
    Crank - Lightweight FSA Omega Compact chainset with outboard bearings
    Pedals - Alloy road pedals with toeclips

Gearing
    Derailleur Rear - Shimano Tiagra
    Gears - 18
    Shifter(s) - Sora STI shift levers

General
    Handlebar - FSA Oversize bar
    Rigid Forks - Lightweight carbon Aero blade fork
    Saddle - Selle San Marco SKN
    Seat Post - Micro adjust alloy (Now with new stem)
    Stem - FSA Oversize

Wheels
    Hubs - Lightweight alloy
    Rim Holes - 28
    Tyres (Front & Back) - Michelin Dynamic Race tyres
    Wheel Set - Super light Asphalt wheelset
    Wheel Size - 700c

Looks like this:

684.jpg

Checked there, and it's 40cm. I bought a new extended seatpost, which makes it possible for someone much bigger to ride it. I'm 5' 11" and I've been cycling it for 2 years! Obviously a bit small for me, but would be perfect for someone her height.

Edit: That's 40cm on a compact frame, which equals bigger on a standard frame.

• Advertisement

Checked there, and it's 40cm. I bought a new extended seatpost, which makes it possible for someone much bigger to ride it. I'm 5' 11" and I've been cycling it for 2 years! Obviously a bit small for me, but would be perfect for someone her height.
    Thanks for the specs. How did you end up buying a bike that would fit a girl 7 inches shorter than you? I have to say I'm very sceptical about the sizing.

Thanks for the specs. How did you end up buying a bike that would fit a girl 7 inches shorter than you? I have to say I'm very sceptical about the sizing.

At the time I knew nothing about bikes, so didn't bother to check the size. I got it online from Evans so I didn't realise.

At the time I knew nothing about bikes, so didn't bother to check the size. I got it online from Evans so I didn't realise.
    Thanks but I'm quite convinced that you have the sizing wrong. On Evans and on Raleigh the smallest size the bike is sold in , is 54cm.

I'll measure it tomorrow and let you know what size it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@Diarmuid- it used to come in smaller sizes. I doubt it is 40cm, I think that was a typo from Evans when the OP bought it. My money would be on it being a 48cm.

@electrogrimey- bear in mind that the seat tube measurement on a compact frame does not generally correspond to the "size" it is marketed as.

Looks like a decent spec if it is in good condition, it is above the normal 2200/Sora you see at the bottom end and has nice things like integrated spindle cranks/external bearing BB.

• Advertisement

Looking for a 49/50cm road bike in the €350-€500 range for my girlfriend (163cm)

I've an offer on ads.ie for €360, if he goes above that, €380 or so I'll sell it to him. So if you're interested, PM me an offer, and I can show you the bike and you can decide if it's the right size.

Put some pictures of the actual bike up on ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chenc2

Look KG286 Full Carbon frame 1900g
    Mavic Helium wheel set 1468g;
    Full Dura Ace 7700 9 speed Groupset;
    Dura Ace Headset 7410;
    BBB carbon road bar;
    BBB carbon stem;

7.8kg in total.
    Asking for 500.
    KG286.JPG
    frame is size M. I'm 169, i thing 163 should do.

Thanks for the post. Any chance of a few pics?

Still in the market for a 49cm road bike if anyone knows of one going for about €400

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jgflan

I've just put my 50cm Trek 1000 up for sale (late 2006). €350. Standard spec but also has a Cateye computer and Shimano toeclips. Check it out on Gumtree. I'm away with work until tomorrow evening. I'll put up some photos on the ad at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14992

Seems like a really good bargain though i started looking at bikes today for the first time so i might be missing something.

Can't argue with the price but sorted for a bike now. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mrfuncle

Hi jgflan

Is your trek 1000 still for sale? I would be interested in viewing it and could collect off you.

I am looking for an entry level road bike and the frame size would be ideal for my height!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jgflan

I'm afraid Diarmuid beat you to it.

Advertisement