Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help new laptop with broken keyboard.. Rights?

Options
  • 30-01-2010 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭

I bought a Laptop in a large chain retailer on monday for 800 euro.

Everything is fine but today 2 buttons came loose on the keyboard. This is really annoying as there both common letters (the letters a and h) and I need the laptop for my second year project......

The a key will stick down sometimes and both are awkward to type on....

So basically what are my rights here. I know you are entitled to a repair, refund or replacement but i need the laptop badly for college next week. Would it be too much to ask for a replacement model considering it only took five days until the keyboard became defective?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

The shop probably has a no quibble policy on item bought within 30 days. If you take it back and explain the problem you might get a replacement on the spot. Depends on the store.

Otherwise, clearly it's not fit for purpose, so considering you only bought it this week, you are in a good position to request a replacement. Head into the store and see what they say. Be firm but polite. Technically they have the right to repair it first if that what they want to do. Make sure you talk to a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

If that was me, I would be insisting on a new laptop as you only bought it and there should be no problems with it this soon - definetly insisted on a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Elessar wrote: »
    The shop probably has a no quibble policy on item bought within 30 days. If you take it back and explain the problem you might get a replacement on the spot. Depends on the store.

Otherwise, clearly it's not fit for purpose, so considering you only bought it this week, you are in a good position to request a replacement. Head into the store and see what they say. Be firm but polite. Technically they have the right to repair it first if that what they want to do. Make sure you talk to a manager.

Actually they only have the right to offer a repair, the customer has the right to refuse if this is not acceptable to him. However he'd want to have a fairly good reason for doing so because the SCC will consider if both parties were being reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Actually they only have the right to offer a repair, the customer has the right to refuse if this is not acceptable to him. However he'd want to have a fairly good reason for doing so because the SCC will consider if both parties were being reasonable.

Correct! I didn't phrase it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Graceland wrote: »
    If that was me, I would be insisting on a new laptop as you only bought it and there should be no problems with it this soon - definetly insisted on a new one.

You can insist on anything you like, but you are not entitled to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Lets be clear here, the the consumer and retailer are to come to an agreement as to which is the best way forward here. Neither has the right to decline the others offer but they do have to come to an agreement.

If the sole reason for the purchase was to complete a task next week then the store have to consider this. Either they are to repair in that timeframe or replace \ refund.

I dont think the small claims court would have an issue with that if it came to it, which means you decline repair & have to buy a replacement laptop in the meantime, a gamble, but one I feel you would likely win.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

You can insist on anything you like, but you are not entitled to it.

The fact that it was only bought within the week and it was obviously faulty. But I know what you mean that you might not be entitled to it, but I would still go in with that attitude - couldn't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Replacing a keyboard is a 5-10 minute job however if the store do as i suspect that they will and send it back for repair then be prepared to wait some weeks before you see it back.

Very annoying when you spend that kind of money for it to develop a fault with in a few days, but in my experience the the odds on walking out of the shop with a new laptop as very slim I'd say.

I would suggest staying as calm as possible when you go back with it OP as people are less likely to help someone who is ranting and raving at them, and just calmly explain your situation. Then maybe break out the hysterics if that fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The laptop has fallen apart in less than a week so I would not accept a repair as this laptop will most likely never work properly and will probably have several faults! I would be looking for a refund and get a new laptop somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree replacement, but it's really odd for the keys to get loose like that...

Mind if I ask which make/model of laptop?

• Advertisement
Advertisement