Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pregnancy over 40

Options
  • 30-01-2010 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have 2 children but recently we have thought of having a third however I have just turned 40 and while I had no problems concieving before , nothing has happened after 3 months and I am worried about the dangers of Downs syndrome the older I get and am now thinking is it unwise to continue trying. Are their others out there getting pregnant over 40 and have you found it difficult to concieve?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hi nandini

This help desk is for queries related to the boards.ie site from people who are having trouble using the site.

This is a question better suited to somewhere like Personal Issues at a guess (Soc category -> Personal Issues) so I'm moving this there.

(edit, actually I see the Parenting forum (Soc -> Parenting) has a Trying to Conceive subforum so I've moved it there instead.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Yes the risk of Downs Syndrome are higher the older you get, but there is a risk of Downs Syndrome and other abnormalities with every pregnancy... It didn't stop you before so why let it stop you now.

I think that if you are thinking about having a third child then you should definately do it. You can't turn back your biological clock so its now or never. I'd hate to think of you regretting not having a third child because you were scared of what 'might be'.

Conceiveing can be more difficult the older you get, but still many women conceive without any difficulty. 3 months of trying isn't too long. How old are your other children and how long did it take to conceive with them?

If you're worried you should go to see your gp... It might be worth going anyway just for a check up! Take folic acid and improve your diet and lifestyle anyway you can. Get himself to start taking a multivitamin with zinc in it to improve his swimmers too!

Hope this helps!

CCL x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I gave birth to my 4th and last child at 41. I think that the chances of Down Syndrome over 40 is about 2 in a 100. I had no bother at all except that I put on a lot of weight during the pregnancy and delivered a 9.5 lb baby! I'm only 5 feet tall. Mind you it was no bother at all!:D
    My baby wasn't planned but she's 6 now and it all worked out very well. I'd say go for it. I don't know how long it might take to conceive. Every time we passed on the stairs I was pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

nandini wrote: »
    I have 2 children but recently we have thought of having a third however I have just turned 40 and while I had no problems concieving before , nothing has happened after 3 months and I am worried about the dangers of Downs syndrome the older I get and am now thinking is it unwise to continue trying. Are their others out there getting pregnant over 40 and have you found it difficult to concieve?:confused:

Hi Nandini

My wife and I had our 4th Child when she was 38 and we had a healthy Baby Boy who has Down's Syndrome. It was a difficult time but my wife got pregnant at 40 and we had a healthy normal Girl.

The risk to Down's Syndrome increases after 40 but so do other risks to your pregnancy.

I wish you the best of luck but IMO having a child with Down's Syndrome is not the worst, there are other disabilities genetic or not which are just as hard to deal with.

My lad is a healthy 8yo who is just as active as anyother lad iin his class:)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Hi Op,

Although there is increased health risks, many women have had very successful pregnancies over the age of 40.

I know a woman who had a healthy baby boy at age 45! :eek::)

Ask your doctor about it and see what he says.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My uncle's wife gave birth, between the ages of 40 and 45, to three beautiful boys! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

My 45 year old aunt just had her first pregnancy and had healthy twins! The chances of DS are increased, as are the chances of a multiple birth. My grand mother got married at 37 and had 8 healthy children!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Jinxi wrote: »
    My 45 year old aunt just had her first pregnancy and had healthy twins! The chances of DS are increased, as are the chances of a multiple birth. My grand mother got married at 37 and had 8 healthy children!

Busy lady!

Advertisement