Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Posts performance in international delivery inadequate?

Options
  • 30-01-2010 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

How does the international postal service work?

If I pay a foreign post office to send something to me, do An Post get paid for their part of the delivery? Presumably there are some agreements with foreign carriers (USPS in this case).

So, if a parcel doesn't arrive within a reasonable amount of time, can An Post be held accountable?

I had a package sent from California to Dublin. It took 2 days to make it all that distance in the hands of USPS. An Post have had it since 24th Jan, and effectively 8 days later have failed to move it on (to its final destination in Dublin city centre).

I don't think that is acceptable if they are being paid for the delivery.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dxhound2003

I got a parcel from China some time ago and it was with the Customs in Portlaoise (I think) for a few days. Every parcel coming in from outside EU is liable to Customs examination and you may have to pay Duty and VAT plus a Post Office handling fee depending on what's in it and the value. My parcel had a Chinese EMS number but An Post gave it an Irish number and I was able to see that it was with Customs on their Track and Trace system.

There are international agreements and standards regulating mails but all countries have Customs as well which can cause delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pietromas wrote: »
    If I pay a foreign post office to send something to me, do An Post get paid for their part of the delivery?
    There are international agreements detailing what percentage they get.
    So, if a parcel doesn't arrive within a reasonable amount of time, can An Post be held accountable?
    By the Communications Regulator (generally considered weak).

Advertisement