Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the condition like up Glendalough/Spink

Options
  • 30-01-2010 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hoping to hit Glendalough this weekend and head up Spink.

Anyone been up there recently ?

What it like driving up there ?
    And anyone know the conditions up Spink ?

Cheers,
    strummer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

One or two icy patches on the boardwalk, otherwise not a bother - here's a pic from last Sunday :). There is a sign at the foot of the spink saying that because of damage part of the miners track is closed, we weren't down that far so couldn't tell you what that's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

hmmm wrote: »
    One or two icy patches on the boardwalk, otherwise not a bother - here's a pic from last Sunday :). There is a sign at the foot of the spink saying that because of damage part of the miners track is closed, we weren't down that far so couldn't tell you what that's about.

Damn, I was hoping to loop around and come back on the miners trail.
    Thanks for the heads up !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

We're planning a large hike down there tomorrow. Does anyone know what that sign is about referring to the miners village?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JimSmash

Looped around myself a week or so ago, I found the route to be do-able but had to be very careful in parts. Just make sure you have good footwear as the boardwalk for a small stretch in the Spink was covered in icy snow and was dangerous. I'd imagine though, that even since then the path has improved. The signs for the walk from both entrances are just to warn walkers that the path is dangerous and that they should not procede. But there were a lot of people doing the walk as the sign was obviously put up during the bad snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

JimSmash wrote: »
    Looped around myself a week or so ago, I found the route to be do-able but had to be very careful in parts. Just make sure you have good footwear as the boardwalk for a small stretch in the Spink was covered in icy snow and was dangerous. I'd imagine though, that even since then the path has improved. The signs for the walk from both entrances are just to warn walkers that the path is dangerous and that they should not procede. But there were a lot of people doing the walk as the sign was obviously put up during the bad snow.

cool, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Yeasayer

I was down there weekend before last and would agree pretty much with what JimSmash said. The road was a bit icey as you go down the hill just at the lower car park but otherwise twas grand...apart from the goats that nearly jumped out in front of the car...but that's another story.

Miners Road was in bits at the end near the car park (both mud-wise and the area where the road has collapsed!!!) but is passable. Just take care on the boardwalk and you will be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

hmmm wrote: »
    here's a pic from last Sunday :).

Lovely photo - Glendalough really is beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

was up there today and it was grand. the signs are still up but when i got to the boardwalk (following the blue route) there was only a light bit of snow on it. some parts i decided to walk off the boards to avoid slipping but mostly it was grand.
    good amount of goats up there actually.

Advertisement