Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of countries by current account balance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

digme wrote: »
    Look who are at the bottom?

Ireland is still a next exporter with exports holding fairly steady and imports into the country have collapsed

assuming the white elephants of PS and Welfare are addressed

we could trade our way out of this hole, and have an export led economy like the one we had in 90s

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Ireland is still a next exporter with exports holding fairly steady and imports into the country have collapsed

assuming the white elephants of PS and Welfare are addressed

we could trade our way out of this hole, and have an export led economy like the one we had in 90s

Interesting though that the three biggest exporters of goods (as opposed to what we export - profits) also have healthy government accounts.

I think it's clear we should try to be a bit more like Germany certainly, but also like Japan and China and not base on economy on consumerism of imported goods.

Interesting though that the three biggest exporters of goods (as opposed to what we export - profits) also have healthy government accounts.

I think it's clear we should try to be a bit more like Germany certainly, but also like Japan and China and not base on economy on consumerism of imported goods.

of course they do

sensible economic policies leads to solid economy (tho imho China currently is one big bubble waiting to pop, too much money is being miss allocated by central planners and huge property bubble is developing)

we should try to be more like Germany and thats how this country was in the 90s exporting things and services (and being alot more competitive than now, especially in wages) before we got carried away with credit and property

btw Japan while being an exporter also has the worst finances of all the countries and huge debt, im not sure why they not on that list at very bottom

ScreenShot303.jpg

...on Japan

this list only has the current account balance

while ignoring the huge "mortgages" that some of these countries have

Japan being the one to watch

now this list is quite interesting :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_external_debt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭halkar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

...on Japan

this list only has the current account balance

while ignoring the huge "mortgages" that some of these countries have

Japan being the one to watch

now this list is quite interesting :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_external_debt
    wow, secound higest per capita. just, wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    wow, secound higest per capita. just, wow.

It is a figure for all (both public and private) external debt. It seems like a bizarre figure, particularly since the figure is from June 2007, before our latest tranches of public borrowing.

I wonder how much is owed by Irish companies and individuals and how much is owed for foreign companies in Ireland (e.g. in the IFSC) and not something that we need to be too concerned about.

Edit: Here's a CSO breakdown of our debt

dvpower wrote: »
    It is a figure for all (both public and private) external debt. It seems like a bizarre figure, particularly since the figure is from June 2007, before our latest tranches of public borrowing.

I wonder how much is owed by Irish companies and individuals and how much is owed for foreign companies in Ireland (e.g. in the IFSC) and not something that we need to be too concerned about.

Edit: Here's a CSO breakdown of our debt

€1,637,257,000,000 (as per link above) / 4,239,848 people (2006 CSO stat) = €386,159.36 per each person in this country

or

€1,637,257,000,000 (as per link above) / 2,203,000 employed persons (Apr 2009 CSO stat) = €743,194.28 per each employed (and presumably taxpaying) person in this country

:eek:

****!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

But external debt is an irrelevant figure. It includes intangibles like the value of intellectual property held by Irish subsidiaries of multinationals.

For example, every copy of Windows sold in Europe is sold my Microsoft Europe, headquartered and paying tax in Ireland. The value of Windows IP (as valued currently) is on Microsoft Europe's balance as a debt to Microsoft in Redmond, Seattle. It likely accounts for many billion dollars of external debt, but is meaningless as far as Irish people's liabilities are concerned.

The only debt figures that matter are Irish government debt, Irish personal debt, and the liabilities of our banks covered by the bank guarantee. Forget about the rest.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    But external debt is an irrelevant figure. It includes the value of intellectual property held by Irish subsidiaries of multinationals.

For example, every copy of Windows sold in Europe is sold my Microsoft Europe, headquartered and paying tax in Ireland. The value of Windows IP (as valued currently) is on Microsoft Europe's balance as a debt to Microsoft in Redmond, Seattle. It likely accounts for many billion dollars of external debt, but is meaningless as far as Irish people's liabilities are concerned.

The only debt figures that matter are Irish government debt, Irish personal debt, and the liabilities of our banks covered by the bank guarantee. Forget about the rest.

those are good points and of course theres IFSC

theres a good threads on subject here > http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17373

with a countdown site made based on figures

according to that its €38K per worker at the moment in direct debt taken on by our government and rising

• Advertisement

:eek:

****!

Quite right too.

But presenting the debt as a per capita figure doesn't make sense if we aren't liable for repaying it (and if it is owed by foreign banks/companies not covered by any guarantees that we cannot, in the future, become liable for).

If we look at our public debt figures, things look a lot better (but getting worse).

€743,194.28 per each employed (and presumably taxpaying) person in this country
    ... according to that its €38K per worker at the moment in direct debt taken on by our government and rising

I'm feeling a lot better now:)

dvpower wrote: »
    I'm feeling a lot better now:)

thats €38K more than i like :D and rising quickly :(

€25 billion taken on last year to run the country

that added ~€6K to every man, woman and child (i dont know what figures to use for taxpayers) in country in one year alone

Advertisement