Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Broadband Service

• 30-01-2010 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I am/was with BT and got a Class service..A1. Just recently BT sold their home business to Vodafone and christ the service is now crap. My emails won't send and the speed drops. Ring them up make change and email sends again till a few days later and it stops again. I want out!

So I want to change to a new provider. Anyone but Eircom.

Anyone got recommendations?

I have a landline but use it little.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BIGButters

Defo go with UTV their 8meg pack is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I am more than happy with Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gaulsmillls

Hey we have same problem, never had issue with Bt and since they changed its been non stop...eircom been out twice to check our line,had NO broadband all over christmas and its been very bad since. by chance the other day i decided to go back to the old Bt router and hey presto it hasnt gone down since!!! might be worth a go in your case too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No problems here with UPC(NTL) if you can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

we've had ntl last 5 years never a bother with them though i know that some people have had issues, maybe we're just the lucky ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

UPC (NTL) is the business.

Getting 20mb all the time and now going up to 30mb.

Using them with over three years and had one problem, took them almost a month to sort it which is pathetic. But since then they're after improving their Tech Support greatly from what I hear.

Basically UPC is fantastic, unless you run into difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭crazydude

I had repeated dealings with NTL last year on the cable TV side...just woeful!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

crazydude wrote: »
    I had repeated dealings with NTL last year on the cable TV side...just woeful!!

Their TV isn't great compared to Sky but their broadband crushes the competition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you can get it go with UPC,
    You'd be foolish to fork out an extra 25e a month just for telephone line rental to get ADSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I've been mostly happy with UPC for the last few years. It works perfectly most of the time. I suppose the only issue I'd have is if something goes wrong you can be asked to wait a week before someone can come and deal with it, but that's seldom.
    Opted for the new free upgrade a week or so back and it's even better than ever.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys I will definitely check UPC out then.

Seems Vodafone were caught with the pants down with the transfer of BT customers.

See their customer forum for countless tales of woe. http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/forum/9-vodafone-at-home/

Latest one for me is my Hotmail cannot receive email from the Vodafone Server (seems their Spam filter is so bad the Hotmail block them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'm in less than 5 mins from WIT and have, 15meg Broadband, anytime world phone, basic channels (normally €21 TV subscription) all for €60. I find it great. Not a big fan of their TV package,a bit bland but better than nothing,prefer SKY , the phone is excellent, all calls to Australia and America are free as well as all ireland and UK landlines, and the 15MEG broadband varies. I've seen it hit 14Meg once but normally floats aroung 8-11 megs.

It is so much better than Vodafone, to tell the truth, using Vodafone at parents house is painful, you can't listen to music online or watch TV online, with UPC its perfect and cannot fault it. I ordered it on a Friday and they were out the following Tuesday and installed, all free of charge and no charge for the equipment. I'll also add that before moving to current address we had UPC broadband there too, was on a 10Meg business package and never ever got lower than 7meg.

Thanks for that...

I get a call from UPC the other day and I told the guy my story of woe.

He quoted me loads of facts and figures and I asked him to mail me the quotes as I was getting confused. I said I was interested.

That was Thursday :rolleyes:

If he does not get his act together he will lose the commission.

Thanks for that...

I get a call from UPC the other day and I told the guy my story of woe.

He quoted me loads of facts and figures and I asked him to mail me the quotes as I was getting confused. I said I was interested.

That was Thursday :rolleyes:

If he does not get his act together he will lose the commission.

Haha , his loss but your gain once you get it installed;) If you're thinking of taking a phone package , you can take your current 051 number to UPC too, like you did with Vodafone. My plan is a deal so I suggest bargaining with them, think my package is supposed to be €72 a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The general advice over the years has been that if you can get NTL, get it! Their broadband is second to none and now that they're offering some of the most competitive packages around, you have no excuse not to consider them.

Irish people, as a rule of thumb, are uniquely lazy in changing providers for any service, be it banking, phone, electricity etc. We have this misconception that has been conditioned into us that changing provider will lead to problems. I suppose kudos to the marketing departments for that.

Thats a good idea as the guy I was talking to could not deviate from set offers.

Who did you contact to purchase.

What did you find their service like as they have such a bad reputation.

I looked online at what I wanted, TV Broadband and Phone. I rang them up and said I wanted to join UPC, I wanted a 15 meg line, with TV and Phone whereby I could ring Australia. I told them my monthly budget was €60 a month and said they'd look at the pricing so they came back and offered:

15Meg Broadband
    Anytime World
    Basic TV Channels

I found them very nice and helpful on the phone and they came across as we want your custom but more importantly a happy customer. They set a day that suited me for the installation and morning or evening. They ring you the day before to confirm installation. Honestly it was hasslefree-god I sound like a UPC salesperson:D We havnt had any problems with them yet.

Signed up for the 15 Mb
    Phone free calls 24/7
    TV Max package Digital +

€84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

anyone tell me which company does broadband only , i have sky tv and dont need/want a phone line . need at least 3Mb speeds

Check out http://www.getbroadband.ie/ for a list of Broadband providers.

Irish Broadband seem to do a wireless option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Check out http://www.getbroadband.ie/ for a list of Broadband providers.

Irish Broadband seem to do a wireless option.

Don';t check out the above website, its years out of date

Its been posted on the Broadband forum a number of times and its a joke

hellfireie wrote: »
    anyone tell me which company does broadband only , i have sky tv and dont need/want a phone line . need at least 3Mb speeds

In Waterford You'd be limited to...depending on exactly where you live

Wireless from Irish Broadband
    Imagine WiMax
    NTL/UPC Cable
    Digiweb Metro

Pretty much anything else will need a phone line

Advertisement