Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banging Noise From Pipes

• 30-01-2010 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys,

Just today for some reason an extreamly loud banging noise started comming from the pipes around the boiler. It is a closed GFCH system.

I had no idea how to stop it, but while filling the kettle with the cold tap the banging stoped.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue as leaving the tap running is not ideal and if I turn off the cold tap it stars again shortly after.

Thanks in advance
    Blake

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Sounds like water hammer in mains pipe work. End of mains line is a floating valve (ballcock in attic tank). When small waves are created across surface of attic tank the floating valve opens and close rapidly, any loose unsupported pipe work previous to ballcock will give of that banging sound you hear.

Most cases water hammer is down to an unsupported ballcock. When water hammer starts again, go up to attic tank and try to support ballcock some way, sometimes a small stick wedged under ballcock thread can work as a quick fix.

Ballcock should have a supporting back plate (small galvanized plate outside tank between tank and ballcock) if it's missing best have one fitted, if hammer still continues, a tee connected just before ballcock with a small piece of copper branched off middle, blanked can absorb water hammer. Acts like a sponge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I also sometimes find that what has happened is you had the mains off at some stage and have since turned it back on to a higher pressure. This causes water hammer but mainly when you actually turn on and off the tap. However sometimes turning on the tap can release the pressure.

Would this be a possible reason. Have you had the water off. If so, turn the mains down again. see if it levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheBlaker

Thanks for the reply guys
    I also sometimes find that what has happened is you had the mains off at some stage and have since turned it back on to a higher pressure. This causes water hammer but mainly when you actually turn on and off the tap. However sometimes turning on the tap can release the pressure.

Would this be a possible reason. Have you had the water off. If so, turn the mains down again. see if it levels.

This sounds like exactly what happened, I did notice that the water pressure in the cold tap in the kitchen was a lot higher. Unfortuinatly I cant control that, but it seems to have leveled off now and it hasnt happened since

Advertisement