Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where you buying your petrol

Options
  • 30-01-2010 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Where you buying your petrol at the moment,
    I work in Dublin, and always bought my petrol in Drogheda, but for some strange reason, i can buy it cheaper in Dundalk at the moment.

Best price i can find is the newry road, 118 per litre.

If i find anywhere else cheaper, i will post.

mickmcgee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

123.9 a litre seems to be the price all over Drogheda, 118.9 is a great price, i have seen it up on 126.9 a litre around the dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Hi, Theres a new Tesco station opening up soon near/ in the retail park beside KFC up in Drogheda. Who knows what game they will play in regards to price but it will propably shake the local guys a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mickmcgee

123.9 a litre seems to be the price all over Drogheda
    The word cartel comes to mind,
    Apart from the one station on the newry road,, all the rest are around, 123,126.

Will check and get back,

mickmcgee

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Ah to be fair Maxol Donore Rd isn't 123.9. They are 125.9. Even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

mickmcgee wrote: »
    Best price i can find is the newry road, 118 per litre.
    I get my petrol from there also and get great mileage out of it too, filling station across the road from it is up on 1.26c/ltr :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mythicalireland

Top garage on Donore Road is selling unleaded at 122.9 right now.

Roll on Tesco . . . !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

A lot of the Tesco garages now are more or less the same price on petrol as the other main petrol stations, maybe a cent cheaper of so but no real great savings like when they opened first in Ireland.

Newry road up to 119 but still good value.
    Garage across the road,, 126 last time i looked,

Drogheda,, dublin road,, 123,

mick,, (mean) mcgee

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jmc19

mickmcgee wrote: »
    Newry road up to 119 but still good value.
    Garage across the road,, 126 last time i looked
    I made a big mistake going to that filling station beside Rice & Roddy for diesel last week as the ques across the road at the newry station were mad.

After filling up I got about two mile down the road and my car just died. Car is now in the main dealers and is costing over a grand to fix :eek:, they say it needs new injectors, pump & filters. I asked what the problem was and they say that they tested the diesel in the tank and that the result from that indicate that the diesel was the problem, that it was of very bad quality and have told me to get the filling station to pay for the repairs.

I certainly won't be going there again :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

theres a petrol station on the dublin road out of ardee the one closest to lidl on the same side of the road and they always have good prices must take a note next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Buying the petrol in the garage beside fairyhouse racecourse( on the way to work) 121.9 last week

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

€1.19 on the Newry Road

or

€1.20 on the Carrick Road (the first one as you're leaving town)

Not bad prices compared to the rest of Dundalk.

My fav place is still 119 on the newry road out of Dundalk,
    I dont use diesel, but his is 106.

Compare with across the road, 127 and 116,.

I know where i'll be going next week.

mmcg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Wow! That's very cheap for diesel! I'm paying 1.11 at the moment in Drogheda, and that's as cheap as I can find locally! Worth my while hitting for Dundalk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nightowl2

Can someone tell me which station is the diesel only 106 on the way out of Dundalk, as I'm going down that way at the wk-end & I'll fill up there, thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nightowl2

Mick Thanks for the pm, I tried to send U one back but It would'nt allow me.

Thanks again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bubbles22

Newry road Filling Station by far the cheapest, I fill up there all the time.

However I'm just waiting for the day I pull up and they're all closed up. They have had signs up saying their credit card machine is broken since well before christmas. Which means cash transactions only.

<snip> - Mr Magnolia

bubbles22 wrote: »
    Newry road Filling Station by far the cheapest, I fill up there all the time.

However I'm just waiting for the day I pull up and they're all closed up. They have had signs up saying their credit card machine is broken since well before christmas. Which means cash transactions only.

Very Very dodgy if u ask me
    They now have a working credit card machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bubbles22

Yeah noticed that on way into work this morning. So it was only about three months it was "out of order!!" They prob thought they'd chanced their luck for long enough.

Won't be suprised if it is out of order again soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'd be very wary of petrol stations that are a lot cheaper than others, it usually means bad quality petrol, if you like your car I'd stay away from any non branded petrol station that has suprisingly cheap petrol.

I know from first hand family that it does and will ruin your engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

X2 on what draffodx has said. I filled up at the Newry road for the first time last week and found I got far less MPG compared to the E5 petrol I normally use from the Maxol garages and the overall car performance was just not what it should have been. I know i'll be sticking to the branded garages!

bubbles22 wrote: »
    Yeah noticed that on way into work this morning. So it was only about three months it was "out of order!!" They prob thought they'd chanced their luck for long enough.

Won't be suprised if it is out of order again soon!!
    They were waiting for a new machine.
    draffodx wrote: »
    I'd be very wary of petrol stations that are a lot cheaper than others, it usually means bad quality petrol, if you like your car I'd stay away from any non branded petrol station that has suprisingly cheap petrol.

I know from first hand family that it does and will ruin your engine
    The same can be said for filling stations that charge a lot more, just because it's not a Maxol, Esso etc.. does not mean it's selling bad quality fuel. Over the years I have seen both diesel and petrol cars that have filled up at branded filling stations and non branded stations needing to get injectors etc... replaced due to bad quality fuel.

I myself up until recently only ever filled up at the one filling station and it was a well known branded one. Filled up one day, got a mile or two down the road, car started to lose power and spitting, ended up having to get new injectors and a fuel pump due to bad quality fuel.
    Duff wrote: »
    X2 on what draffodx has said. I filled up at the Newry road for the first time last week and found I got far less MPG compared to the E5 petrol I normally use from the Maxol garages and the overall car performance was just not what it should have been. I know i'll be sticking to the branded garages!
    How many fills did you get ? Some cars don't like a change of fuel and can take a few fills for it to get use to it, or it just could be a case of your engine runs better on E5 petrol. Just because your car performance was down a bit does not mean the fuel is bad.

I get more mileage from the petrol at the Newry road station than the branded station I use to fill at and I know of a lot more people too, even peope coming from Carrick that are also getting more mileage out of it.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    The same can be said for filling stations that charge a lot more, just because it's not a Maxol, Esso etc.. does not mean it's selling bad quality fuel. Over the years I have seen both diesel and petrol cars that have filled up at branded filling stations and non branded stations needing to get injectors etc... replaced due to bad quality fuel.

Thats very true and even recently there was a post on another forum about bad petrol from a Maxol station in the midlands.

But in my opinion your more likely to be getting bad petrol in a station thats charging a price that is way lower than the normal.

My Aunt works with customs and she has said they have seen a huge increase in dodgy petrol tankers around the country and they have begun stopping unbranded tankers and testing the fuel.

They confiscated a tanker and its contents as well as the contents of a petrol stations tanks and found them to be highly contaminated with even water in the tanks!

That said a petrol station could just be selling fuel at a loss to just get people into the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BluefinnST

But in my opinion your more likely to be getting bad petrol in a station thats charging a price that is way lower than the normal.

My Aunt works with customs and she has said they have seen a huge increase in dodgy petrol tankers around the country and they have begun stopping unbranded tankers and testing the fuel.

They confiscated a tanker and its contents as well as the contents of a petrol stations tanks and found them to be highly contaminated with even water in the tanks!

Hi
    Can you ask your aunt how often they check the petrol stations? I would love to get a sample checked from that Newry Road Filling Station if I could find someone to do it. <Snip> - Mr Magnolia I went once or twice when it opened first but thankfully mine didn't go but my MPG reduced. <Snip> - Mr Magnolia

BluefinnST wrote: »
    Hi
    Can you ask your aunt how often they check the petrol stations?

Hi BluefinnST,

I'm not sure how frequently they test petrol stations I'll ask her next time I'm talking to her, I'd imagine though if they got a number of complaints about a petrol station they would have to test it.

Hi BluefinnST,

I'm not sure how frequently they test petrol stations I'll ask her next time I'm talking to her, I'd imagine though if they got a number of complaints about a petrol station they would have to test it.

Thanks, yeah I was thinking of contacing Revenue directly but I'd love to know the outcome and I wonder would they tell me the results. I was looking at Eurofins etc to see if I could find somewhere to test it. I wouldn't want to bring trouble on anyone running a legitimate business but on the other hand if they are all legal they should have nothing to worry about! I am waiting to hear back from 2 of the people whose van & jeep were knackered whether the Filling station would cover repairs.
    Its getting harder and harder to find a reliable service station with good diesel. I imagine that they are in the minority. I know stations that are not tied into a contract with fuel companies can buy fuel cheaper than those who are tied to Maxol ,Texaco etc but I would wonder that it can be drastically cheaper.

You can always do a simple test yourself, get some of the fuel and let it sit in a beaker for a day, you will be able to see whether its clean or not.

Its not a scientific test now or anything so you cant go back to the station and say your petrol is contaminated but get fuel from two different sources and compare it.

Good Thinking batman!! will do just that!

BluefinnST wrote: »
    Hi
    Can you ask your aunt how often they check the petrol stations? I would love to get a sample checked from that Newry Road Filling Station if I could find someone to do it. <Snip> - Mr Magnolia I went once or twice when it opened first but thankfully mine didn't go but my MPG reduced. <Snip> - Mr Magnolia
    I have a petrol car and fill up there all the time, no problems for me, I have friends and family members that are both driving diesel and petrol cars that also fill up there and no problems for them either.

As for people you have heard about having issues, have you seen sample results of tests carried out on the diesel from that ststion that state their fuel is of bad quality ?

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I have a petrol car and fill up there all the time, no problems for me, I have friends and family members that are both driving diesel and petrol cars that also fill up there and no problems for them either.

As for people you have heard about having issues, have you seen sample results of tests carried out on the diesel from that ststion that state their fuel is of bad quality ?

No I haven't..... thats why I am looking for someone to analyse a sample! <Snip> - Mr Magnolia I have heard no reports of anyone complaining about the petrol but then there is less chance of petrol being tampered with than diesel. I have also heard of other people with diesel cars with no complaints... so far.....touch wood!
    However I am no longer prepared to risk my car stalling and leaving me sitting along the roadside when there are other service stations nearby.

Advertisement