Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where you buying your petrol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

BluefinnST wrote: »
    However I am no longer prepared to risk my car stalling and leaving me sitting along the roadside when there are other service stations nearby.
    Why not use the other nearby station then if you don't want to risk anything :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BluefinnST

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Why not use the other nearby station then if you don't want to risk anything :confused:

I do. If you had read my other posts properly you would have already read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I do. If you had read my other posts properly you would have already read that.
    I did, your post implied otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Duff wrote: »
    X2 on what draffodx has said. I filled up at the Newry road for the first time last week and found I got far less MPG compared to the E5 petrol I normally use from the Maxol garages and the overall car performance was just not what it should have been. I know i'll be sticking to the branded garages!

Slightly off topic, but didn't people notice similar issues when they started to use Tesco petrol, leading to rumours that it wasn't all it should have been? (and it was cheaper at the time too).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

OK folks, a mod warning: I've edited some posts that aren't acceptable here. You're not permitted to discuss/speculate on the activities of a person, service or business in this manner on the board. Please stick to personal experience and don't post random rumours such as 'I've heard this or that about xyz'.

Remember too that you are solely resposible for what you post here.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you wish to discuss this further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 godspot

OK folks, a mod warning: I've edited some posts that aren't acceptable here. You're not permitted to discuss/speculate on the activities of a person, service or business in this manner on the board. Please stick to personal experience and don't post random rumours such as 'I've heard this or that about xyz'.

Remember too that you are solely resposible for what you post here.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you wish to discuss this further.

wants the point of having a board if you cant tell people that a station is selling sh.t diesel if you have a ford or renault diesel with delphi pump and injectors dont buy your diesel here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

godspot wrote: »
    wants the point of having a board if you cant tell people that a station is selling sh.t diesel if you have a ford or renault diesel with delphi pump and injectors dont buy your diesel here

Feel free to start your own blog/forum and post what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

There is a sign across from Aldi in Mell saying Diesel 110.9 !

I've been using the Newry Road Service Station without issue... Doing about 50 - 60K a year so any issues would have shown up by now.

EK Fuels around the corner sell the "Cheapest Quality Diesel" I asked them what the difference was and with a big smile he just said.... "Quality"

That kind of put me off.

Need to get myself a nice new car now so I can get even more miles to the gallon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BluefinnST

MugMugs wrote: »
    I've been using the Newry Road Service Station without issue... Doing about 50 - 60K a year so any issues would have shown up by now.

Ownership only changed a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ownership only changed a few months ago.

..... and that is relevant how ?

60,000KM per year equals 5,000KM a month and assuming that the station is operating under new managment three to four months that equates to roughly 15,000KM to 20,000KM since opening.

My point was that any issues with their fuel would have shown up by now.... Whats yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

hah! and heres me coming on thinking id read a list of places that are cheap or expensive around Louth.

i get my in Ardee, dont know the name of the station, its not your typical well known name. its located on the outskirts of the town heading towards Kells.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

godspot wrote: »

You need proof anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mythicalireland

Tesco opened its petrol station in Drogheda in recent days. I filled up this morning.

As of today (Wednesday) the prices were as follows:

Maxol Donore Road 128.9 (petrol)
    Tesco Extra Donore Road 121.9

7 cents a litre cheaper. I know where I'll be buying my petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

There is a pretty handy site- www.pumps.ie, which lets you scan the country for the cheapest filling stations, at least those that are updated by local visitors to the site.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭seco

111.9 petrol & 119.9 diesel - new tesco petrol station donore road drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

seco wrote: »

not trying to sound smart but are those prices not the other way round?
    the petrol cheaper than the diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

seco wrote: »

I got petrol there at midday today and it was 121.9!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

flickarius wrote: »
    I got petrol there at midday today and it was 121.9!!
    still cheaper than up the road:D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you can buy petrol, diesel and a cup of coffee/tea at your local petrol station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lmnop

yea its 121.9 at new tesco garage in drogheda - went up to homebase yest evening n the queues to get petrol was crazy there!!! You'd probably burn off the extra petrol you are buying while you wait in the queue....:p Grt price though compared to rest of the town. Feel sorry for those small garages though who'll prob lose customers cos of it. But as times are hard you have to save where you can...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

this will close the other stations on that road, probably a few in town too.
    there is no point anyone trying to compete with them as they are making a loss on the petrol.

ill predict that there will be a few closures over the town, so people on the northside of the town will end up having to drive there if they want a bit of fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I reckon the Tesco prices in Drogheda will only last for a short while as an introductory offer, then more or less fall in line with the other people stations in the town, maybe 1-2 cent cheaper .

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

€1.20 for diesel in Castlebellingham last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lmnop

event wrote: »
    this will close the other stations on that road, probably a few in town too.
    there is no point anyone trying to compete with them as they are making a loss on the petrol.

ill predict that there will be a few closures over the town, so people on the northside of the town will end up having to drive there if they want a bit of fuel

yea its sad...especially for the stations that have bin there years and years. Ah well - i'll be availing of the cheap petrol while it lasts though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

What makes you think that? or why would they even do that? ie. sell the fuel at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Is it true that cheap(er) petrol is of inferior quality? A guy I know who owns a small petrol station told me it was, thats why its cheaper and it could damage my car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Scotty # wrote: »
    What makes you think that? or why would they even do that? ie. sell the fuel at a loss.

its not that i think it, i know it

most petrol stations make around 3-4c on a litre of petrol. thats at the current selling price. People like to think there is a massive amount of money in fuel. theer is for the companys, like Esso/Texaco etc but not the station owner. Most make their money on the car wash/convenience shop etc.

Tesco are usually selling at a loss, as it means people will generally shop in their stores as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just back from fillling up at tesco .... big queue but it moved very fast very happy i am:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

its not that i think it, i know it

Tesco are usually selling at a loss, as it means people will generally shop in their stores as well.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't selling any product below cost illegal under the Competition Act (or something similar) since the bread and milk wars of the 80's?

How does selling petrol at a loss encourage business in their shop a mile away?

I'm just baffled as to why Tesco would spend so much money building a service station to then run it at a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

I noticed at the weekend that the small diesel station at Loughboy (top of Mell) has reduced his diesel price to match Tesco at 111.9 (sorry, he doesn't sell petrol!).

Advertisement