Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where you buying your petrol

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

bigneacy wrote: »
    Article in paper this week says a petrol station on the north side of dundalk town is selling dodgy petrol and diesel which has already caused thousands of euro worth of damage... anyone know which one it is?

Please read my posts in this thread. If the filling station isn't named in the paper then we certainly don't want it named here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

well even just an indication or clue would be helpful. we're not talking coppers and cents. thousands of euros of damage to private cars is being caused by these clowns. it would be helpful to know which one it is. or would you suggest boycotting all newry road petrol stations?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Article here, but no mention of where in town it is.

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/Warning-over-dodgy-petrol.6287679.jp

There was a lady on LMFM the other day complaining about damage done to her car because of bad fuel and the station she mentioned is on the west side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

I wont mention the station as I have been warned already and got my post deleted. :mad:

<snip>

It's obvious when you think about it - he is undercuting the likes of Topaz and Texaco by 5-8cent and isn't accepting any form of credit (cash only). If you think that this operation isnt "dogdy" and continue to buy this cheaper fuel then fair enough; you run the risk of harming your engine, fuel pump, injectors and overall performace of your vehicle.

Me own car has been affected by this crap fuel from a similar station in Ardee... :( My own fault and I have learned the hard way.

So my advice would be to stick to the branded service stations for the time being. These gangsters will be stung soon enough!! HOPEFULLY!!:cool:

thewools, I've had to remove a small part of your post to potect yourself and boards.ie

Also folks, boards.ie has a PM (Private Message) function. Feel free to use it.

You can still also post something like:

Filling Stations I use:

Filliing Stations I avoid:

As always, feel free to PM me with any questions or queries.

• Advertisement

Page 3 of this week's Democrat follows up a story of theirs from last week with a story this week headlining: "Cross-border probe into fuel smugglers" it follows a story they ran last week and are quoted in the paper saying "dodgy petrol and diesel was being sold at one filling station in the North of Dundalk". The Revenue and Customs and Excise are investigating according to the story. No doubt any improprieties will be brought to light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smcque

thewools wrote: »
    I wont mention the station as I have been warned already and got my post deleted. :mad:

<snip>

It's obvious when you think about it - he is undercuting the likes of Topaz and Texaco by 5-8cent and isn't accepting any form of credit (cash only). If you think that this operation isnt "dogdy" and continue to buy this cheaper fuel then fair enough; you run the risk of harming your engine, fuel pump, injectors and overall performace of your vehicle.

Me own car has been affected by this crap fuel from a similar station in Ardee... :( My own fault and I have learned the hard way.

So my advice would be to stick to the branded service stations for the time being. These gangsters will be stung soon enough!! HOPEFULLY!!:cool:

couldnt agree more, i stopped using the a certain northside (dundalk) garage after reading this forum but alas i was to late,1000 euro for four injectors no joke ,BE CAREFULL !!!!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

A dundalk news website has the full story. The station they have identified is the one that is now up for rent. I won't name it here but it is named in the story. :cool:

http://www.dundalkexaminer.com/2010/05/26/dundalk-service-station-denies-receiving-complaints/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

whats tesco price like now

bigneacy wrote: »
    A dundalk news website has the full story. The station they have identified is the one that is now up for rent. I won't name it here but it is named in the story. :cool:

http://www.dundalkexaminer.com/2010/05/26/dundalk-service-station-denies-receiving-complaints/
    Not really much of a story, nothing is 100% fact. Had a good laugh though at one of the comments made below the article that a rival filling station put a cutting of the article in his window :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 FilterBrewer

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Not really much of a story, nothing is 100% fact.

If there's any doubt about it I'm sure the station would sought advice and had it taken down though. Between this and what I've heard time and time again around the town I'll certainly not be back to it.

Strange that it's up for rent now too...

Between this and what I've heard time and time again around the town I'll certainly not be back to it.
    How much of it is true if any, the place is always packed anytime I pass it ?

What I find odd is a rival filling station putting up cuttings of the newspaper articles in his window about them and telling people that they are mixing fuels. Maybe I'm wrong on this but to do something like that comes across as a person losing business to them and him trying to damage the reputation of the place in order to put them out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Bought some fuel during the week - spotted that TOP Drogheda (just off Donore Rd) have shaved 1c off the other forecourt prices for both petrol & diesel. Prices (on Wednesday last) were 131.9c Petrol and 121.9c diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

can some1 pm me the name of the dodgy petrol station in Ardee want to make sure I wont use it

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Don't know the name of the Ardee one.

In Dundalk, I heard from somebody in the car trade that a vehicle recovery truck had to deal with 5 breakdowns on one weekend and they were all similar problems related to the diesel quality.

I've purchased from that garage in the link but thankfully haven't encountered any problems. I won't be purchasing there anymore.

Better to be safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's not good that this is allowed to go on.

Petrol Stations I like !
    Texaco on Carrick Road
    Esso on Carrick Road
    EK Fuels

Stations I dont like !

Newry Road Service Station

shannon82 wrote: »
    can some1 pm me the name of the dodgy petrol station in Ardee want to make sure I wont use it

thanks

In Ardee.

Service Stations which I use and recommend:

Topaz - Drogheda Road
    Texaco - Carrick Road

Service Stations which I would not use:

Ferdia Service Station - Kells Road
    Avenue Deli??? (Not sure of name) - Drogheda Road

There is also one other service station futher up the drogheda road which I'm not sure off as I never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I travel from Kells to Dundalk to work every day. I have filled up in the Ferdia station for years. Never had a problem.

kc66 wrote: »
    I travel from Kells to Dundalk to work every day. I have filled up in the Ferdia station for years. Never had a problem.

Petrol or Diesel?

I have suffered twice from poor quality diesel from this particular station... And I could write a book of friends / family / mechanics problems with here too.

I Will never fill up there again - and it would be situated closest to me.

Better quality fuel will pay off in the long run...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

thewools wrote: »
    Petrol or Diesel?
    Petrol. I've done around 90000 miles in the same car mostly using their Petrol so cannot complain. For a few weeks I used another station to compare mpg and it worked out the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement