Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please Help( Device to play movies on TV)

• 30-01-2010 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi All. Was hoping that someone could please help me. I am looking for a device that i can either upload to or put an sd card into that will allow me to play avi. videos on my tv. I am looking for the cheapest way to do this. As my laptop only has hdmi and vga outputs and my tv only has scart and component imputs I cannot use my laptop. (ie I have trouble finding cables)

Many thanks in advance. This is really starting to do my head in.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Would an external video card work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LadyLee

Hi there- not really sure what types of movies files you want to play- but my husband uses a "multimedia player" to play his movies that he has downloaded on the internet - he just copies the files- and it plugs straight into the tv- its comes with a remote control. He bought it in PC World for E89 for 1 tb of memory....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hack an old Xbox with Xbox Media Centre, should find an old xbox for around €20, maybe You even have one. I have 2 of these in the house

Big thread here about it

tvshows.jpg

films.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Thanks Ladylee and Pog. Ladylee, can you tell me what type of multimeadia player he bought and if possible does it play avi files. Only if it is easy to find out. Cheers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I have a 1TB Network harddrive that I connect to via my Xbox 360.
    But there are simpler options such as this:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=576020
    Just use a USB memory stick to transfer the files
    Bear in mind avi is only a container format. You need codec support for the codecs used to compress each particular file.

EDIT: you could use a 360 to stream from your laptop wirelessly but wireless can be a bit slow and the wireless adapter for the 360 is expensive if you want to avoid wires.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

easons have a media player for €99 (or €129 depending on size) with hdmi out and scart out

like this one http://www.aristacomputers.com/Dane-Elec-SoSpeaky-1TB-SATA-HDMI-External-Hard-Disk-Drive-Multimedia-Player-Retail.html

Plays avis

Advertisement