Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our beloved dog has a large lump.

Options
  • 30-01-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

For little over a year now our family pet which is a 10yr old springer/cocker cross has had a very large lump the size of a golf ball on her front right paw.To feel the lump it doesnt seem attached to bone and moves when touched.Although the lump is quite hard and seems uncomfortable it doesnt seem to bother her. Going on previous experiences with previous pets, all of which have been golden cockers, im quite worried.Our previous cocker died at 10years of age from cancer in which her entire belly wass covered in tiny lumps. When our current dog was brought the vet recently in which i couldnt accompany her , "apparently" dogs her age get them and he wasnt going to bother removing it. Am i reading into this too much or could it be cancer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If you feel unhappy with your vets assessment - either go back and ask for tests or answers, or get a second opinion. Not being rude, but no one here can tell what it is or isn't for definite. They can tell you what their pet had or their experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you're not happy with the vet's analysis or opinion, my advice would be to seek a second opinion. While some lumps may be benign, others may be more serious, so it's best to get it checked out. Then you'll know where you stand for definite and can plan your course of action based on what's best for your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Simple answer is, yes it could be cancerous but it also could be a harmless lipoma (a lump full of fat). Alot of vets can tell just by the feel of it whether its worth investigating it or not. If you dont trust his judgement ask him to do a fine needle aspirate of the contents of it to put your mind at ease. Its not painful for the dog and will give you the answer you need.

Advertisement