Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We have a Polar Low!!

Options
  • 30-01-2010 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

Today's 00Z Satrep analysis shows a Polar Low off the coast of Norway. OK, not anywhere near us, but at least we've seen one this winter! And as I said earlier this week, there is the possibility of one forming further south, in the North Sea as the vast pool of sub -40°C 500hPa temperatures, coupled with the steep low level lapse rates moves southwards over the area.

satrep.2010013000.png

103868.jpg

103869.jpg

It's analysed as a sub 976hPa low on the NAE surface chart

10013000_3000.gif

10013000_3000.gif

It's unlikely that we'd be affected by one if it did manage to form there, but we should keep an eye out on today's visible Sat images.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Ship reports in the area are showing winspeeds above the 27knot minimum threshold for classification as a Polar Low

4b641d39_1126_0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Damn. I was getting my hopes up that there might be a polar low on its way here later tonight or into tomorrow morning:(

It would be great to see one here before the winter is over.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Feck... saw the thread title and assumed there was one on the way. :(

Sorry, maybe the title is a bit misleading, I should have said "A polar low has formed, but nowhere near Ireland"!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Aye, it's a bit off the mark to say "we" have a polar low:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

It's downright cruelty to toy with our emotions like that! Though 'tis nice to see one 'n all it's in the WRONG PLACE!
    I can only imagine the effect this has had on Nacho ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Quite frankly, I'm tempted to report this thread just to get the title changed haha!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Polar low............pah!.....Solar plexus low!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I'm fascinated by polar lows. I missed out on watching it's progress today :(

Here's a recent satellite image
    103912.jpg

Looks like a cool eagle gargoyle :)

And do we have a second polar low in 24 hours? The Satrep team seem to think so, around 70N (where it says "INFO")!! :eek:
    It appears that a new polar low kind of development is occurring near latitude 70N.

http://www.knmi.nl/satrep/cgi-bin/show2.cgi?FILE=/data/satrep/archive/FMI/satrep.2010013018.gif

And here's their comment on the first one further south this morning
    Nice convective polar low with plenty of curving rain/snow bands. At 500hPa
    -40C and beneath that quite mild lower 0-2 km layer. Few lightning strikes
    possible.

• Advertisement

Today's first Low shows up nicely near on the radar near Bergen. Bergen airport is reporting light to moderate snow all evening, with thundersnow at 2050Z. The Norwegian Met Offfice have a warning out for dangerous driving conditions and strong winds.

103922.jpg

103923.jpg (How's yer Norwegian??!!) :D

Here's the second Polar Low in a more westerly location than the first, heading southwards towards the Faroes and Scotland.

103941.jpg

Pity it's nearing the end of its lifetime, no chance of it reaching these parts as anything substantial. It gets deflected eastwards by the increasingly westerly flow tomorrow, clipping northeastern Scotland, but is progged to redeepen over the North Sea as it moves southeastwards towards southern Norway and Denmark.

10020112_3106.gif

10020206_3106.gif

Closer....but no cigar :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

Maybe it will be 3th time lucky for us. It's still very encouraging to see two form in 24 hours

It would be nice to see a bump to this thread before the winter is out. With the first line letting us know a polar low is on the way to Ireland.

:(

Have we ever had a polar low in March before?

Advertisement