Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900 e-mail problems

• 29-01-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I have a couple of problems with the software on my N900 at the moment ... maybe someone can help me:

1) I have eircom email and I have used the pop3 settings in outlook, on my N95 & on my ipod touch and all have worked perfectly. I cannot get the email to work on the N900 with the same settings.

2) Everytime I go to install an application the appliction mananger just says "preparing for installation, please wait" and then it just stops.

Has anyone had similar problems that they have solved and can help me with??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For the email did you select the default settings that the email client has? I noticed it has eircom net and eircom net free. Did you try both?

netopia wrote: »
    I have a couple of problems with the software on my N900 at the moment ... maybe someone can help me:

1) I have eircom email and I have used the pop3 settings in outlook, on my N95 & on my ipod touch and all have worked perfectly. I cannot get the email to work on the N900 with the same settings.

2) Everytime I go to install an application the appliction mananger just says "preparing for installation, please wait" and then it just stops.

Has anyone had similar problems that they have solved and can help me with??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Posts split off from the N900 apps/repositories thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

matrim wrote: »
    For the email did you select the default settings that the email client has? I noticed it has eircom net and eircom net free. Did you try both?

Yeah I have tried both, and I have 2 different eircom email addresses one which has been switched over to their new system and requires a different incoming mail server than the default setting so I changed that.

I have got emails on it but when I "send and receive" nothing seems to happen, but when I woke up this morning all my emails had arrived (this may be an eircom problem though - not unusual for them).

However I am still left with the email problem that when I try to send an email it always fails. The default ports are 110 and 25 but I presume these are set by Nokia and are correct to the phone.

I know its the risk you take when you get a phone that is 2 months on general release but is mine just more buggy than most???

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

eircom.net Email settings are

Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net

OR Webmail access: http://home.eircom.net/email

Will try myself later on...

Yeah got all those correct, I even deleted the pop3 account and setup an IMAP mail account and the same problem is there.

I set the account up, after a while something happens & it mail comes in to my inbox (I have it set to check for mail every 5 mins) and then nothing. And no matter what settings I try I always get "failed" when I try to send mail.

Bring back my beloved N95

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Yeah got all those correct, I even deleted the pop3 account and setup an IMAP mail account and the same problem is there.

I set the account up, after a while something happens & it mail comes in to my inbox (I have it set to check for mail every 5 mins) and then nothing. And no matter what settings I try I always get "failed" when I try to send mail.

Bring back my beloved N95

Have you tried using your mobile provider's outgoing mail server, e.g. O2 = smtp.o2.ie?

Ok got this working but only after creating a new account for myself on the N900 i.e. I did not follow the eircom net or eircom net free template as in the N900. Oh yes, I only selected Ireland as a country.
    Account Title: eircom.net
    Leave Messages on server: Yes
    Name: manster
    User name: manster
    Password: ********
    Email Address: manster@eircom.net
    Incoming Server *(POP3): webmail.eircom.net
    Secure Authentication: No
    Secure Connection: None
    Port: 110
    Outgoing Server *(SMTP): mail1.eircom.net
    Secure Authentication: None
    Secure Connection: None
    Port: 25
    Use Connection-specific SMTP servers: Blank

I can now send\receive emails from\to eircom.net via my N900.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Right so i have my gmail account set up on this and get alerts telling me i have new emails.
    they are in the inbox but when i view them it times out telling me they are not on the server.
    if i go back later, the content will be there...

thanks manster & thanks Rsaeire for your help. I deleted all mail accounts and started again, I put in exactly the setting you did manster and the same thing hapened, then I did what you suggested Rsaeire and put in my vodafone mail settings. and yet again my message sending failed. Then the messages decided to come into my eircom inbox

The one thing I think I have noticed is that I only get messages to the eircom inbox when I have a second mail account setup but no matter what everytime the message sending fails (without fail)

I don't have that problem. Here are my settings they might help.

IMAP4 account settings for Gmail
    Account Title: Gmail
    Name: manster
    Email Address: manster@gmail.com
    Incoming Server *(IMAP4): imap.gmail.com
    Secure Authentication: Yes
    Secure Connection: SSL(IMAP4S)
    Port: 993
    Outgoing Server *(SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
    Secure Authentication: Login
    Secure Connection: SSL
    Port: 465
    Use Connection-specific SMTP servers: Blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

thanks manster & thanks Rsaeire for your help. I deleted all mail accounts and started again, I put in exactly the setting you did manster and the same thing hapened, then I did what you suggested Rsaeire and put in my vodafone mail settings. and yet again my message sending failed. Then the messages decided to come into my eircom inbox

The one thing I think I have noticed is that I only get messages to the eircom inbox when I have a second mail account setup but no matter what everytime the message sending fails (without fail)

One thing to note, if you're setting up the same email account using two different email clients, e.g. your N900 and your computer, make sure that you select the option in Outlook to "leave a copy of messages on server", otherwise you'll only receive email to one email client.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just a Q on the N900 general e-mail settings.
    Can you get it to check mail more regurally?
    I cant find any setting so far....

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Just a Q on the N900 general e-mail settings.
    Can you get it to check mail more regurally?
    I cant find any setting so far....

under settings goto 'Updating IMAP & POP Accounts'
    or
    email-settings-update interval-5 minutes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers

Rsaeire wrote: »
    One thing to note, if you're setting up the same email account using two different email clients, e.g. your N900 and your computer, make sure that you select the option in Outlook to "leave a copy of messages on server", otherwise you'll only receive email to one email client.

Yeah, I always leave the messages on the server.

At the moment I have emails coming in every now and again and still cant send any.

It has to be something to do with some little setting on the phone (which is hard to imagine because there are so few settings), because I have entered the settings for about 5 differnet email accounts and none work.

At least I can use my webmail.

Advertisement