Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD, day to day...

Options
  • 30-01-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Most likely starting full-time PhD research (20Century Irish lit) at a Dublin University in the Autumn. Just wondering how others in similar positions find they spend their day to day lives/their daily rountine etc. Having completed five years of totally structured university courses I find the prospect of three years fulltime research slightly daunting. Looking forward to it all the same! Any info would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Only three years? :pac:
    I guess the hardest part for me is getting up and started at a reasonable hour in the morning, I started my phd in September but this is something I still have problems with. Other than that I try to treat it like a job, getting 6-8 hours in every day, a little less at the weekend. Make sure to have time off for other things as well. There are many ways you could structure it though, depending on what works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

I started in September. I hate it, every last minute. It's lonely, isolated, unstructured (something I don't like), unrewarding and frankly boring. My topic is interesting, very much so, but the process is boring.

I've realised in recent weeks that the lifestyle is not for me, and that's what it is, very much a lifestyle choice. I'm waiting to hear back from my dream job, due to hear by Wed. If I'm successful I'm out of there and never looking back. If not, I'll stick at it, and I'll keep trying my best, but it's not looking good so far.

Best advice, start from hour one as you mean to go on. If you intend to do 9-5, do it on your first day and everyday. Not setting a routine was one of my mistakes.

I hope you enjoy the life and it works out for you!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

You have to create structure for yourself. Chances are that if you've come this far in your education, a highly structured environment suits you, and that's fine - except that now you need to make the structure for yourself. It's part of the packing to learn how to direct your own work in a way that works for you.

For me, I find that having a timetable helps. It changes every few months as I move on to other stages of the PhD, but that's ok. Have a regular time for starting - and stopping! - work each day, and decide how you will spend each day. I break my day down into 3 blocks of time - morning(working with data) after lunch (writing and reading) and the last hour of the day (admin, teaching prep, email, planning). Don't be too severe on yourself and make sure you make time to relax and do things you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 John Wells

I'm three months into my PhD now and similar to the other posters I'd advocate creating a routine for yourself straight away. If I'm not away gathering source material or doing a bit of teaching I spend 7 hours in the library each day but tend to take the weekend off if I can.

I know a few students who do 10 hour days, 6 days a week but appear to be quite unproductive. For me it's more important to get work done and meet the deadlines that I've set myself rather than just putting in loads of hours for the sake of it.

Reading this book was also a great help. Some really practical advice on approaching a research project in the Humanities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

If you can't even create a basic structure for yourself you obviously don't possess the ability to complete a Phd.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

If you can't even create a basic structure for yourself you obviously don't possess the ability to complete a Phd.:rolleyes:

This is such a pedantic comment. Perhaps the chap is going for a post-structuralist PhD anyway!

My advice is definitely to get a routine going but never fill it meaninglessly. Keep tipping away for a month or two and routines and plans will begin to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd echo what has been said above. Having a structure is vital. As is regular meetings with your supervisor.

If you could get a few hours teaching/tutoring here and there, it would make all the difference as you'd get to know and work with other PhD research students. It really does help with the isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Thanks for all advice. Much appreciated! I've been speaking to some people in my proposed host institution and all sounds similar to what you guys have been saying. Tutoring/teaching is definately something I'll aim for as i've plenty of experience at second level. In reference to Master Bates cynical, unnecessary comment, the purpose of my starting the thread was to ask others for advice and/or accounts of their PhD experiences. I am very much looking forward to the research and my capability to carry it out has not been called into question as of yet. Pity boards.ie doesn't facilitate little two-fingered gesture icons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

convert wrote: »
    I'd echo what has been said above. Having a structure is vital. As is regular meetings with your supervisor.

That's a very good point, my supervisor and I have meetings every two or three weeks and set targets for my work over the semester. I think this has been very productive for me. I know a lot of people who don't have frequent meetings with their supervisor or don't have a supportive supervisor, and they seem much more demoralised and lost really. So having that plan and finding a good supervisor for the op will be very important too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

Il Trap wrote: »
    Thanks for all advice. Much appreciated! I've been speaking to some people in my proposed host institution and all sounds similar to what you guys have been saying. Tutoring/teaching is definately something I'll aim for as i've plenty of experience at second level. In reference to Master Bates cynical, unnecessary comment, the purpose of my starting the thread was to ask others for advice and/or accounts of their PhD experiences. I am very much looking forward to the research and my capability to carry it out has not been called into question as of yet. Pity boards.ie doesn't facilitate little two-fingered gesture icons.

My comment was both honest and valid, sir!

The information you provided in the OP highlights that perhaps you have exceeded your capability? A Phd is just perhaps a little too difficult and demanding for you.

If creating a basic timetable -- which takes all but a few minutes -- causes such disruption, I would recommed pursuing a qualification which is more within your ability range.

I hear the Open University offer some decent diploma courses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Hi all,

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment but I am wondering if many of you were offered classes or hours working in the university while doing a PhD? I know that working on a full time PhD is going to be tough but with rent and mouths to feed I wonder how you get by? Grants? Classes from uni?

Thanks and a very helpful thread.

LiK

That's a very good point, my supervisor and I have meetings every two or three weeks and set targets for my work over the semester. I think this has been very productive for me. I know a lot of people who don't have frequent meetings with their supervisor or don't have a supportive supervisor, and they seem much more demoralised and lost really. So having that plan and finding a good supervisor for the op will be very important too.
    Cheers Brian, hoping my experience will be something similar to your own.

My comment was both honest and valid, sir!

The information you provided in the OP highlights that perhaps you have exceeded your capability? A Phd is just perhaps a little too difficult and demanding for you.

If creating a basic timetable -- which takes all but a few minutes -- causes such disruption, I would recommed pursuing a qualification which is more within your ability range.

I hear the Open University offer some decent diploma courses?
    I'm not even gonna bite that one. Have to say though MB, your screenname seems suitable. However a six-letter alternative beginning with 'W' would probably be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Everyone works to a different schedule and individual supervision approaches will also differ from supervisor to supervisor. I started in 2007 - it still feels as if I am nowhere. Some weeks you put in twelve hour days, some weeks you struggle to read a single paper. You get ill/tired/pissed off/despondent/bored - this happens to everyone, and anyone who claims it doesn't is lying.

Your phd (especially in these times) is an apprenticeship to a trade, not just a 'big book' - academic jobs are the minority, and externs are fickle. You need the experience of reading, research, tutoring and lecturing, research assistance, and writing to get work, so don't feel guilty, or feel as if you are compromising your own work by doing so. I put in my 9-5 (or 12-8...) five days a week, which suits me fine. Some do more, some less.

Good luck!

Advertisement