Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmental Scientists?

Options
  • 30-01-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

Any Environmental Scientists in the houuuuse?Would love to get a general in sight on daily jobs and the like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Hi,
    So I work as a researcher in a university, where my colleagues and I do environmental research. Environmental science is quite a broad field, but I'll give you an overview of what we do and other potential jobs environmental scientists may do.

The work in the lab focuses around the detection and quantification of various pollutants in water and improving the detection of pollutants in water, whether drinking water, coastal or river. As you know, there are alot of contaminants that have negative effects on the environment/people and it is important to monitor these so that they don't exceed certain limits. We aim to improve detection of contaminants by designing systems that give quick and accurate results that are specific for that pollutant.
    In our lab we use a range of instrumentation for analysis, design materials, perform microbiology and use imaging techniques-alot going on here!

Environmental science encompasses many scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology/microbiology and health. You could be monitoring air, water, soil, anything for contaminants -chemical or biological. A friend who studied environmental science works in water treatment plants, assessing how the treatment is progressing and if all is within the limits. Other areas that you could get into include, health and safety, waste management or working for a governmental body, such as the EPA of BIM.

Hope that helps!

Advertisement