Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My job - Care assistant

Options
  • 30-01-2010 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

Occupation: Care Assistant for people with intellectual disabilities.

Qualifications held: I've a degree in computer science. Most in the profession though would have a degree in social care or nursing (I.D) and would suggest you do either of those and not go my long route :)

Previous Jobs: Mostly IT work but started volunteering where I work about 8 years ago as I skipped 4th year. My parents thought it would something to do for me.

Daily routine: The general routine varies so will try give an overview.

Mornings - You come into work around 8am, get a handover from the night staff (just tells you anything of note) and then get your bearings. You will most likely be working with other people depending on the size of the house. Anyway, from then you start to wake people up, shower them, dress them and then give them some breakfast. This all of course depends on the ability of the service users where you work, some people do this all themselves.

Once everyone has been fed and watered you bring them up to daycare where they usually spend a good portion of the day, older service users may stay back at the house, all depends.. This is where your shift could end or you could go back to the house and tidy it a bit and look after the remaining service users, if any.

Day Care - Basically you just keep people entertained and interested, most day care places will have a routine and a list of available things to do. Again your day will be shaped by the ability of the service users. Activities and outings I've done in the past to name a few; Hill walks, lunch out in nice resteraunts, heading to the cinema, day at the beach, trip into town, going on holidays abroad or in the country. You may have to change, shower, feed or even dress people multiple times in a day.

Evenings - People usually arrive back from day care around 4pm, again this depends where you work. Then the evening is spent making dinner, maybe arranging outings, huge array of things to do but once again your day is dictated by the service user's ability :)

Age bracket: People of all ages, i've been doing this job all through college and then some since I was 15, almost 24 now. First 2 years were voluntary though.

General comments:

I'm trying to think of things to say that may be relevant to those thinking of going this route. Hmmm.

Changing people and bathing them was a huge fear of mine when I first started. I remember the first time I was asked to bathe a gentleman, almost died but really it's something you get over very quickly and in the grand scale of things it's not a huge deal.

The good days in the jobs are amazing, the bad days are terrible. The good days are plentiful and the bad days happen very rarely though :D Many factors contribute to this, who you are working with staff wise and service user wise. I've had a grown man cry on my shoulder because he had a bad dream, another hug me because I got him a cup of tea. It's the small things that make the biggest impact.

If you are a people person and have a caring side this route could very well be for you.

I'm sure I've missed lots so please go ahead and ask me some questions if you feel the need :)

Will

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for that Will. I was thinking about looking for volunteer work in a care home.

But I just have a few questions:

1) Is there much/any paperwork involved?
    2) If someone soiled/wet themselves, whats it like having to clean/change them?

I know the second question might be a bit weird, but, I can't even clean up someone elses vomit/piss/sh!t/change a babies nappy without throwing up myself, so I honestly don't know if I could work in a care home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Very little paper work, usually just a report at the end of your shift, usually just a few lines detailing what type of form people were in during the day.

Cleaning people, puke and whatever else you may encounter really doesn't phase me. Only because if someone has soiled themselves it isn't done on purpose to annoy you. These people aren't able to care for themselves, hence why there's a need for us. I couldn't live with myself if I ended a shift in work knowing someone had soiled themselves and did nothing about it. Cleaning up nasty things is really a very minor part of it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 silent1

Hi Will

My daughter is doing social studies in college. Is there a difference between social care worker and care assistant?

She may finish up with a higher diploma instead of a degree, Is there a minimum requirement of the level of education?.

You don't have to answer this one if you don't want to : Is there a set salary scale for this type of work, and do you know where I could access the rates - I have the Impact booklet on salary scales within the health service (I work in the health service myself - clerical).

My daughter is very much a people person, she loves her course. Her current placement is with ex-prisoners from the Central Mental Hospital.

Thanks for you time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

My mother has been a care assistant/house parent for almost 20 years now and loves the job. She is after having a fair few bad days but the good times she has had are great times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

silent1 wrote: »
    Hi Will

My daughter is doing social studies in college. Is there a difference between social care worker and care assistant?

She may finish up with a higher diploma instead of a degree, Is there a minimum requirement of the level of education?.

You don't have to answer this one if you don't want to : Is there a set salary scale for this type of work, and do you know where I could access the rates - I have the Impact booklet on salary scales within the health service (I work in the health service myself - clerical).

My daughter is very much a people person, she loves her course. Her current placement is with ex-prisoners from the Central Mental Hospital.

Thanks for you time.

Nah no real difference apart from the name as far as i know. There's no minimum requirement but the better her qualification the better her pay will be.

There is a salary scale but im not on it, there's an embargo in the HSE at the moment and I can't be made permanent and no one else can be either. Not sure where the rates can be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Just a heads up- there are plenty of jobs in the Social Care sector- and is crying out for male staff. Pay isn't great in that you will never exactly be rich- but can live comfortably which is all you want really. Plus, without sounding cliched- it is a very rewarding job in its own right
    I work in a day center mainly but work in the residential houses if staff are out sick, doing sleep overs.
    If any body has any questions go ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Hi wrapthead,

Was thinking about doing Intellectual Disability nursing. Would it be an advantage to do that rather than a social care degree? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

hi
    An advantage? yes and no. I did social care myself- but I have done medication training so I can administer meds. ID nursing is good if you 100% want to work in the area of disabilities, it would defiantly be good in centre with profound disabilities- but I work with someone who did ID nursing and they were trained exactly with how our centre is set up.. The social care degree opens is quite vague- which is a double edged sword in the case that you become jack of all trades and master of none. Plus I found at times that Social Care to be theory based "fluff"- but i like sociology, psychology and all that so I don't mind fluff. I went into this job after doing my placement there- having no specific specialities training in the area of disabilities. was tad daunting but I kind of perefered to go into a job without any preconcieved ideas and "fresh approach" if will :P plus with social care you can work in so many areas such as homeless, youth work, family therapy, psychiatric, community care, child care, special need schools, refugee and asylum seekers, or go into area of social research and policy making..

I probably haven't answered your question at all so i apologise ha
    bottom line is I.D. nursing is meant to be a great course and the lady I work with found it both interesting and practical,think she did it in Cork..?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mo Lester

Hi im currently a civil servant and have a businness studies degree with a post grad in I.t. I just started volunteering with an individual with intellectual disabilities in mayo. Im looking for a move to leinster and I would like to persue a career in social care. I would be gratefull for any advice you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mo Lester

Mo Lester wrote: »
    Hi im currently a civil servant and have a businness studies degree with a post grad in I.t. I just started volunteering with an individual with intellectual disabilities in mayo. Im looking for a move to leinster and I would like to persue a career in social care. I would be gratefull for any advice you guys

anybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 smurf89

Hi guys, I have an interview in a few days in an home for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. Was wondering if anyone could give me any help with regards questions they make ask? Thanks

Advertisement