Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Visa

Options
  • 30-01-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

My daughter has been working in Australia for a year. I think her visa will expire soon but she is thinking of staying on for a few more months. She tells me that she can legally extend her visa as her boy friend is being sponsored by his employer . As a result she can extend her stay because of her relationship with him.

Can this be right ? Seems like a very odd loophole that could be easily exploited .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

It´s fairly easy to be honest. She´s not exactly extending her visa, getting a new one. It´s quite common, they just need to prove they are actually together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Maybe it sounds to easy to be Honest.

If her OH's employer is indeed sponsoring him that's possible she will however have to prove to be in a de-facto relationship with him for a period of at least 6 or 12 months(sorry unsure here). Ask her what Visa her boyfriend is getting then it can be looked up on the DIAC website to see what the de-facto conditions are.

If she intends to work then she needs to go down this route but I dont get the "a few months" thing getting this Visa for a few months extra is like swating a fly with a fork. Its a lot of work. Getting the 2nd WHV would be easier if she has any rural work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

If hes got sponsered by his employer (probably 4 years) then yes shes gets the same visa by being his partner, its not a complated process many employers will use an immigration lawyer as well... which makes the whole process quite simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 r3nm0r3RASCAL

Sounds like you want her home. Just ring up the New Zealand embassy in Dublin and explain that you think your daughter is a terrorist and may be planning to blow herself up in New Zealand. That will get her home fairly sharpish. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

District_9 wrote: »
    Its a lot of work.

It's not, this is usually quiet easy, once they can show they are in a relationship - usually photos, joint B/acc's or living in same place etc or (i think) 6months+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

hussey wrote: »
    It's not, this is usually quiet easy, once they can show they are in a relationship - usually photos, joint B/acc's or living in same place etc or (i think) 6months+

For an extras few months it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

District_9 wrote: »
    For an extras few months it is?
    Yes, if her BF is getting the visa anyway, a 457 can be granted within 2-4weeks, with defacto included.

I know 3 defacto couples, 2 were granted within 2weeks the other 5weeks (more to do with type of job, than the defacto)

and when you do apply for a 457, a bridging visa is granted.

Once everything is legit (job on skills list etc) it is usually straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi makfli,

Australia is like the 1967-68 UK series called "The Prisoner" staring patrick Mcgoohan.
    Once Oz gets you, you'll never escape. lol

As far as I know, your daughter can extend her stay with her boyfriend.

Should just be a matter of paperwork.

Advertisement