Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a ...

• 30-01-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

...well, what will you buy me ?

I've painted myself into an automotive corner and I can't for the life of me think what my next vehicle could be. Now the trusty old van is running fine and there is no thought of immediate replacement, but it is 20 years old and I just want to have some alternative lined up in case it goes catastrophically wrong one day.

Now ..here's what I've got now and what I would like to have again (or thereabouts)

permanent 4WD
    motor tax of 445 Euro p.a.
    fuel consumption of 8.5l/100 km / 33 mpg on average
    space for three dogs and luggage or people (i.e a big boot of min 500 liter and some room to spare)

I sit up nice and high ...I like that
    It has a tailgate, which is nice for stowing shopping in the pissing rain

Now, I realise that there is no vehicle out there that will meet all the criteria and that I will have to compromise. To make it even more difficult, the max budget would be about 7 - 8 k :D
    Commercials are out, as I want windows in the back for a better view, plus taxing/insuring a commercial for private use only is a bit of a pain

Possible candidates identified so far:
    Audi A6 avant quattro ...hard to get a good one at my budget, dear to run
    Subaru estate/Forester ..quite dear second hand and they drink
    Renault Kangoo 4x4 ...rare in this country
    Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 (five seater)...just about coming into range, but no AWD

Now boardsies ...surprise me with your suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Mazda bongo ticks all the boxes, not a very pleasant vehicle to luck at but very practical for your needs.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mazda bongo ticks all the boxes, not a very pleasant vehicle to luck at but very practical for your needs.:D

Yepp not a bad one, but 2.5 Liter (tax !), pretty rare in 4x4 and i would have concerns about parts availability/service ...at the right price it might make it into contention though (even though it's he anti-christ as far as VW van fans are concerned)

this would be in the same vain http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=200844190663992&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Toyota%20Noah%2C%20with%20photos%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=3814166&CFTOKEN=56869702
    once again ...with concerns about parts and servicability for those jap imports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭high horse

Volvo XC70? Not sure if you can get one in budget though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This is sold already, but might have fitted the bill if you don't rack up too many miles: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f110/forester-s-turbo-sale-67676/

Anan1 wrote: »
    This is sold already, but might have fitted the bill if you don't rack up too many miles: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f110/forester-s-turbo-sale-67676/

Yepp ..for a grand sterling I would have certainly considered it

• Advertisement

That Tribute looks interesting and good value for money, if I were buying now, I'd definitly investigate

Yepp ..that makes the shortlist for the future.

Anybody has/had one? What are they like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Skoda Octavia estate 4x4?

unkel wrote: »
    Skoda Octavia estate 4x4?
    hens teeth ...but otherwise, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Honda CRV? Probably the best SUV Soft Roader within your budget. Very comfortable, excellent built quality, permanant 4wd, bullet proof engines. Ok, its not exactly a great looking car, but they seem to be pretty reliable.

Was thinking about buying myself, as a replacement for my "bangernomics" Diesel Xsara, but I bought a cheap Vitara as a little off raod toy instead.

I had an 2.5 Outback for a year, one of the best cars I ever had, but very hard on petrol, also, head gaskets go on the 2.5 ltr, and are very expensive to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Volvo V50 T5 AWD?

How big is the boot on the CRV, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

peasant wrote: »
    How big is the boot on the CRV, do you know?

How big are your dogs?:D

Cosmo K wrote: »
    How big are your dogs?:D
    Old English sheep dog (big), Collie (medium) and Terrier (small) ...so they do need a good bit of space
    (the boot of the Jimny with the seats down was just about big enough ...but that left no room for anything else)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I would go for the Legacy 2.0:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Legacy/2.0-GX-E/200943195614624/advert?channel=CARS
    This one should be within your budget, lovely car to drive, 4WD, reliable, not bad on fuel, dog friendly...
    Good Luck with your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think the subaru is perfect. I cannot recommend a car peasant but dont touch a landrover freelander. Subaru is reliable;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Toyota Emina Estima. Available as a 2.0L turbo petrol 4x4! Also available as a 2.2 diesel, which is sufficiently archaic to allow running on veg oil.

I carried a couch in one once.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Toyota Emina Estima..

Good suggestion ...but I simply don't like these ...can't even pinpoint why not, simply don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Good suggestion ...but I simply don't like these ...can't even pinpoint why not, simply don't

Have you driven one? I didn't like them either till I got a loaner. Didn't take long to see the attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

how many people???

what about a commercial 4x4 like a range rover.... could hit nearly all the boxes

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Have you driven one? I didn't like them either till I got a loaner. Didn't take long to see the attraction.
    Nope, never driven one. I just think they're fugly, do not like, do not want (I'm stubborn like that :D)
    robtri wrote: »
    what about a commercial 4x4
    No commercials ...not on private tax and I likes my windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Land Rover Discovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I can see the point about the toyota but you just couldnt buy one of them. I think that massive mirror on the back window is a turn off.. Hey santa fe is a good old drive.. bro in law has one and swears by it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

...well, what will you buy me ?

I've painted myself into an automotive corner and I can't for the life of me think what my next vehicle could be. Now the trusty old van is running fine and there is no thought of immediate replacement, but it is 20 years old and I just want to have some alternative lined up in case it goes catastrophically wrong one day.

Now ..here's what I've got now and what I would like to have again (or thereabouts)

permanent 4WD
    motor tax of 445 Euro p.a.
    fuel consumption of 8.5l/100 km / 33 mpg on average
    space for three dogs and luggage or people (i.e a big boot of min 500 liter and some room to spare)

I sit up nice and high ...I like that
    It has a tailgate, which is nice for stowing shopping in the pissing rain

Now, I realise that there is no vehicle out there that will meet all the criteria and that I will have to compromise. To make it even more difficult, the max budget would be about 7 - 8 k :D
    Commercials are out, as I want windows in the back for a better view, plus taxing/insuring a commercial for private use only is a bit of a pain

Renault Kangoo 4x4 ...rare in this country
    Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 (five seater)...just about coming into range, but no AWD

Now boardsies ...surprise me with your suggestions
    I sang every single word in your post, simply because of the opening line + thread name.

That's an achievement on your part I'd say!

Advertisement