Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP & DVR

• 30-01-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Currently updating my CCTV DVR system from a Windows XP machine to a stand alone, purpose built system. Now, both systems support local and remote viewing over ethernet connections. I've successfully logged on to the Windows Machine with the No-IP.org service and its worked a treat.

The problem I now face is eircom won't provide a fixed IP for a reasonable price.

As a result my IP changes and even though the new DVR can be accessed locally as its fixed within my LAN, I can't rely on a remote log on with any IP.

So my question, can you get a router / nameserver that will update your IP to be used for this purpose? I'd rather not use a PC within my LAN to update the IP as that would defeat the purpose of the dedicated system.

Any pointers?

ironclaw

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

A DD-WRT based router could do this for you, amongst others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks Jonathan. What service does it use though? No-IP or do I need to pay for a nameserver account etc?

EDIT: Just read it supports NO-IP in higher versions. Ok, time to buy a router. Any good ASDL routers? I'd use a WRT54G but it has no ASDL functionality (Space is an issue and want to keep the amount of routers minimal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

Most probably no need for a new router (and definately not for a static IP)

@ironclaw: what router/modem do you have at the moment?

A description on how to setup dyndns (similar to no-ip) on Netopia routers can be found here (haven't tried it myself with netopia router but on many others and it works a treat)

Don't forget to set up the port forwarding on the router

hugoline wrote: »
    Most probably no need for a new router (and definately not for a static IP)

@ironclaw: what router/modem do you have at the moment?

A description on how to setup dyndns (similar to no-ip) on Netopia routers can be found here (haven't tried it myself with netopia router but on many others and it works a treat)

Don't forget to set up the port forwarding on the router

Thanks for the reply. Its a basic eircom router. Worked really well up to now. Its a Netopia model and I can't remember the model number off hand.

The DD-WRT looks really interesting though and the dynamic update to No-IP is very appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

ironclaw wrote: »
    The DD-WRT looks really interesting though and the dynamic update to No-IP is very appealing.

If you want to spend the 30-50 Euro... go ahead... (and dd-wrt or openWRT surely have some nice options)

All I'm saying is that the dynamic DNS update is almost certainly working on your current router and dyndns is the EXACT same service as no-ip... just register a new name for free and off you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

+1 for dyndns - most routers have the ability to do this now - its a pretty basic requirement these days.

If you want to spend the 30-50 Euro... go ahead... (and dd-wrt or openWRT surely have some nice options)

All I'm saying is that the dynamic DNS update is almost certainly working on your current router and dyndns is the EXACT same service as no-ip... just register a new name for free and off you go.

Thanks for the tip off. Open Putty and had a go at this. Worked brilliantly. Was very surprised given the bog standard eircom router I was working with.

Thanks again!

Advertisement