Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrapping car...

• 30-01-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

I have an old astra thats given up at 189K - waterpump bust and probably engine damage - not worth repair.

Will scrappers give any cash for old cars? I want to take the wheels off it as the tyres were only 5 weeks old).

What paperwork do I need back off them - so that I can get my road tax refund?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

No you will not get money for it.
    All registered breakers issue an end of life cert which should do you to get the tax back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Ok, thanks. Do they generally collect for free then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Get the Buy And sell and check in the cars section.

Generally round the cheap cars guys advertise to collect scrap cars, non runners, and cars not needed for free.
    Thats how I got rid of one recently :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

We dropped an old car to the scrap yard which is authorised to accept end of life vehicles just this morning and recieved a certificate of destruction, we knew it was free to have the car scrapped but we were surprised when the girl at the counter gave us €18.00 along with the cert.
    Not a fortune by any means but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just take note that the car has to have a minimum of 3 months tax left on it to get a refund when it is scrapped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement