Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus?

• 30-01-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm looking to buy a new car. I need it mostly for driving down the country once every couple of weeks and a few runs into town. My budget is about 4k. I originally thought of a Renault Megane Hatchback but there seems to be problems with its reliability from what I've read so I'm thinking of a Focus now. I've found a 2001 for sale with 74k miles for €3750. I had been hoping to find one a little younger but would this be considered a good deal? Has anyone any other suggestions as to what I should be looking at?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Do you have a problem buying from somewhere like donedeal.ie or would it have to be from a garage. The deals on donedeal are amazing...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1133552 ('05 focus)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1132443 ('03 focus)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1133933 ('01 golf)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1131480 ('00 316)

There are plenty of cars out there, focus' are expensive although a lovely car to drive, the golf or astra would be good alternatives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'd say thats to much for the '01. I sold a '00 nearly 2 years ago for about €4000 with about 80k miles on the clock. It was a 1.4 estate so the price for the '01 nowadays seems a bit rich. People will say the 1.4 is a bit slow and it is if it's fully loaded. It's not the worst thing to drive though. I got about 30-32mpg in the city and about 38-40mpg on long runs with 5 people, 5 bikes and 5 peoples worth of luggage.

Like alan pointed out there are newer ones for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Notsofatso

Thanks Alan and Pete. I have no problem buying from Donedeal and they do look better than the deals I had found.

alan1990 wrote: »

This one might be a scam. The phone number isn't genuine. I've emailed them but heard nothing back. Just in case anyone was looking at the same car. I've heard of lots of scams on Carzone but maybe they are one Donedeal too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Notsofatso wrote: »
    This one might be a scam. The phone number isn't genuine. I've emailed them but heard nothing back. Just in case anyone was looking at the same car. I've heard of lots of scams on Carzone but maybe they are one Donedeal too?

Buy a copy of buy&sell and/or local trader. I'd avoid carzone, many cars are overpriced.

• Advertisement

Would I be better off buying a diesel? I know I'd get more mileage out of it but does it affect the reliabliity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Great choice on the Focus, i was originally looking at a Primera but eventually went for the Focus.

Picked it up in November, 03 plate, 1.4, 55k on clock, listed on Carzone (Dealer) for 4,950 but got it for 4,200. NCT till June 2011 too :D:D Getting 44mpg out of it

Keep shopping around, the right one will crop up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Would I be better off buying a diesel? I know I'd get more mileage out of it but does it affect the reliabliity?

been driving now for 8 years. had petrol cars for 6 and had loads of trouble with them. bought a 1.9tdi and have never had a problem since. i drive from limerick to dublin every weekend for 12 euros each way and the car does about 50mpg. id highly recommend a diesel any day and don't expect to ever drive a petrol again but that's my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless you are doing 20k miles or more per year then I see no point in buying diesel as you will not make the premium over a similar petrol model back at the pump. Also with a budget of €4k you will be looking at a pretty high mileage diesel Focus which may need alot of worn components replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

bazz26 wrote: »
    Unless you are doing 20k miles or more per year then I see no point in buying diesel as you will not make the premium over a similar petrol model back at the pump. Also with a budget of €4k you will be looking at a pretty high mileage diesel Focus which may need alot of worn components replaced.

my brother just bought a 04 diesel with 40k on the clock today so cheap diesels are around. as regarding high milage, on average a diesel engine life is well over 200k and is far more reliable than a petrol. you don't have spark plugs, plug cables, coils or distributors to worry about failing. just ask any taxi driver what type of car they drive, most will say diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I bought a 04 zetec 1.4 with 33k on the clock for €5000 in October there. Had a couple of niggly things wrong but so far so good.

my brother just bought a 04 diesel with 40k on the clock today so cheap diesels are around. as regarding high milage, on average a diesel engine life is well over 200k and is far more reliable than a petrol. you don't have spark plugs, plug cables, coils or distributors to worry about failing. just ask any taxi driver what type of car they drive, most will say diesel.

I know there are some low mileage diesels out there but the general rule is that diesels are bought to be driven and the premium they cost over a similar petrol model means you most likely have to use it to justify the extra initital cost, I'd want to see a proven service history if I found a 6 or 7 year old one with extremly low mileage otherwise I would assume it has been clocked.

I'm not talking about the life span of a diesel engine, I drive one and know they are capable of high mileage. I am talking about other components that come to the end of their useful life through wear and tear. Gearbox, clutch, suspension parts all wear out alot faster than an engine and on the OP's budget on a diesel car with 100k miles or more he/she could be looking at some hefty maintenance bills.

Also diesel engines are alot more complex these days with turbos, dual mass fly wheels, partical filters and fancy injectors which cost alot more than spark plugs, coils or distributors to replace, this technology is proving far from being reliable so far.

Would this be considered a good deal?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1136712

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A lot of leg on that one. As a rule I'd avoid aftermarket bodykits too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

No.

I think this could be the one to go for? Has anyone dealt with Nolan Car Sales on the Naas Road before?

http://www.nolanmotorco.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=493337

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I got a great deal - 2001 1.4 with 33k on the clock and paid just €4300 back in Nov 09- so far so good, no hassles at all.

I got a great deal - 2001 1.4 with 33k on the clock and paid just €4300 back in Nov 09- so far so good, no hassles at all.

33k on an 8 year old car?
    Was this from Nolans?

• Advertisement

33k on an 8 year old car?
    Was this from Nolans?

The Car Company, Long Mile Road, D.12

No offence, but I think you were fleeced. A then 8 year old Focus was not worth that much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

was the 33k mileage verified?

As in service history and stamps in the service book to back up the mileage???

I also think you have been had with regards price.

bazz26 wrote: »
    No offence, but I think you were fleeced. A then 8 year old Focus was not worth that much.

No offence taken.

I think I got a great deal all the other Focuses(Focusi??:D) that I looked at were about 2 grand dearer and didnt have that mileage, I mean 33k - fantastic. Anyway I'm delighted.

paddy147 wrote: »
    was the 33k mileage verified?

As in service history and stamps in the service book to back up the mileage???

Yes indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No offence taken.

I think I got a great deal all the other Focuses(Focusi??:D) that I looked at were about 2 grand dearer and didnt have that mileage, I mean 33k - fantastic. Anyway I'm delighted.

Mine had roughly the same mileage and was 3 years newer for 700 euro extra. Not trying to annoy you like just putting some perspective in.

I ended up getting a 2004 Astra 1.4 NJoy with 40k miles for €5550. Car is in very good condition so am happy. Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well wear and safe driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mazdaminx

I'm looking to buy a new car. I need it mostly for driving down the country once every couple of weeks and a few runs into town. My budget is about 4k. I originally thought of a Renault Megane Hatchback but there seems to be problems with its reliability from what I've read so I'm thinking of a Focus now. I've found a 2001 for sale with 74k miles for €3750. I had been hoping to find one a little younger but would this be considered a good deal? Has anyone any other suggestions as to what I should be looking at?

Thanks for any help.

did u buy yet?? im selling 03 hatchback, great car, pm me if interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mazdaminx

id have thought that would have sold for a thousand less??

Advertisement