Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management and Marketing, Need help!

Options
  • 30-01-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Is there anyone doing th Management and Marketing Masters Course in UCC at the moment?
    I have completed a law degree last year and i am considering doing this masters.

Can anyone tell me what its like or even more so can anyone say if it would be good paired with a Law degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahzxe

I am interested in this course too i wonder if the places are hard 2 get or if its any good. cant find anyone thats done it myself. please let me know if hear antin!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Hey guys, Just had a look at the course spec there.

I did an MSc in Marketing - not in UCC - but I just have one thing to note.

There is no Online Marketing module in this course, and take it from me, the one thing you need in your back pocket when it comes to looking for marketing jobs as a graduate these days is experience in managing online marketing campaigns.

SEM, SEO, PPC, PPM, Social Meida...these are fast becoming a prerequisite for many marketing roles - a quick look at any of the marketing jobs adverised on the major sites will show you what I mean.

So while I know a masters covers so much more than just online, it is without a doubt the ONLY module that companies I have interviewed with are interested in hearing about, well that and my dissertation which thankfully, was in Online Marketing too. If I were UCC I'd scrap their 'current issues in marketing' (what the hell is that anyhow - why do they need a seperate module for that, surely the entire 12 months should discuss current issues in marketing!!?) and put in Online Marketing. I can't imagine a MBS in Marketing in 2010 running without it to be honest.

Just my 2c!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahzxe

Thanks for your reply, i have no background in marketing, havin said to a few people im interested in an masters in this area they say marketing is just a fancy word for sales. Whats your opionion on this?

Also where did u do ur msc?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

sarahzxe wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, i have no background in marketing, havin said to a few people im interested in an masters in this area they say marketing is just a fancy word for sales. Whats your opionion on this?

Also where did u do ur msc?

I did the MSc in DIT and it was a fantastic course.

No not at all, very common misconception. Think of sales as an important function of Marketing, and marketing more as a philosophy that begins and ends long before and after a sales transaction takes place. It's something that pisses me off about a lot of 'marketing' jobs that are advertised these days - they're not marketing jobs - they're sales jobs - but these commission only companies call them 'sales and marketing' roles just to drive interest and in my opinion, fool the applicant.

Anyhow, like I said, a good marketing course should cover lots of topics with management of sales being one. In fact, management of sales was a module in my course that I didn't take as I know working in direct sales is not my long term goal. Imo a good course should cover most of the following in great detail - market research, consumer behaviour, business to business marketing, online marketing, services marketing, marketing communications, statistics, basic finance, management and organisational behaviour, international marketing, management of sales.

Career wise, if sales is not your thing, there are many roles that you can go on to work in if you're dedicate enough such as market research, product development, advertising, online marketing etc....

Hope this helps some....

Advertisement