Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Range Chicken

Options
  • 30-01-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

OH just arrived back from doing the weekly shopping at Superquinn. We checked the tab and I was :eek: looking at the price of the chicken. We only buy free range as a matter of principle, but €28.85/Kg is just nuts.

We are looking for tips of where we can get FR chicken at a better price. Any ideas?

Edit: PS, we are in South County Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joanas

Lidl sell free range chickens and very nice they are too. think the price was 5.99 when i last bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

joanas wrote: »
    Lidl sell free range chickens and very nice they are too. think the price was 5.99 when i last bought one.

I think he was looking for chicken, not a chicken. I'd guess at that price he was buying chicken breast fillets. Think I saw that they were about €28 per kg in Superquinn last week, so I didn't buy any chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

OH just arrived back from doing the weekly shopping at Superquinn. We checked the tab and I was eek.gif looking at the price of the chicken. We only buy free range as a matter of principle, but €28.85/Kg is just nuts.

I think that this chicken if it was a whole chicken, might be organic? Those free range chickens from Lidl are fine, imho, and also taste a lot nicer than organic as they don't get worn out scavanging for worms/bugs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Hi guys, been struggling with a sick laptop.... yes, I was referring to chicken breast fillets. As a reference, Marks & Spencer sells non-free range (but quite nice) fillets for half that price, around €14.75/ Kg. But we are still seeking for a free range alternative for which a premium of up to 30% is quite acceptable. On a documentary on TV last year where, if i remember well, they mentioned that the cost to the producer is around 20% higher....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That's Aldi not Lidl that do FR chickens for €5.99. Tesco are now selling them as well, no set price/weight but cheap....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 pflat

Don't know the current price, but Dunnes generally have great value for free range chickens, chicken breasts, and if you are really bargain hunting, they do 10 FR chicken drumsticks for around 3/4 euro. a bit of bbq sauce and it goes down well with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Just a quick heads up: went to Dunnes last night and indeed their chicken breast fillet is half the price that we were paying at SQ.... did a big shopping and found quite a difference in prices of individual items and in the final cost. I know where I'll be going next week.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Advertisement